1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

First Time First Gen

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First Time First Gen

Hey all,

So I have a gas Chevy Silverado currently. I found a gentleman who would like to trade me his First Gen Cummins for my Silverado, simply because he has a child on the way and needs something with at least an extended cab.
I pretty much know nothing about Cummins trucks, so I wanted to run this by you all to see what you guys think about it.

For starters, it is a 1992 Dodge D250 Single Cab Cummins.
It has a 96 12v Motor with a p-pump
The transmission is an NV4500 5 Speed
The truck has a #0 Fuel Plate on the motor
4 inch straight pipe exhaust
Cold Air Intake
100 HP Injectors
And it sits on 33x12.50r20 tires (truck is leveled)

The mileage is unknown, but he says the odometer is at 60k.
I will post the pictures that he sent me with this post.
Let me know if the truck is worth it.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:00 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Welcome to the cult. It's hard to make a value call when we have know idea what your Silverado is like. I am only assuming that his truck is likely more valuable than your Silverado. I would say yes before he changes his mind.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:37 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Looks to be a 4x4, and so that would be a W250. The D was for a 2x4.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:39 PM

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
That's a W-250 (4X4 3/4 Ton) and an LE model (Luxury Edition, Power Everything, Plush Interior).
No idea what he's asking but, it should be well north of $10K just judging from the pix.
If that truck were for sale here in Texas, I would expect it to be around $11K-13K.
Hope that helps.

-Niemand
Old 01-17-2018, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
That's a 7-8 K truck around here, nice but has been messed with.

You don't say what year your Silverado is or what you figure it is worth.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly
That's a 7-8 K truck around here, nice but has been messed with.

You don't say what year your Silverado is or what you figure it is worth.
Yes, for everyone asking about my truck, I should have said that I was more so worried about the overal condition of this Dodge. But if you are curious about my truck, it’s an 05 Silverado Z71.

The Truck is lifted 9 inches on 37s. It is a 6 inch suspension lift and a 3 inch body lift. The tires are Toyo Open Countey RTs 37x12.50r17 on 17x8.5 American Racing Wheels. As for other modifications, it has a Spectre cold air intake, a new Sony Head unit, seat covers, a tool box and that is pretty much it.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by N. Besonderes
That's a W-250 (4X4 3/4 Ton) and an LE model (Luxury Edition, Power Everything, Plush Interior).
No idea what he's asking but, it should be well north of $10K just judging from the pix.
If that truck were for sale here in Texas, I would expect it to be around $11K-13K.
Hope that helps.

-Niemand
Thanks! Yeah he posted it on Facebook, but he had it listed as a D250, but the ad said it was 4x4. Makes sense.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
In my opinion, even if the Silverado has a slightly higher value now, it won't in a very short time. There are millions of silverados and many fewer w250 Cummins. If he is telling the truth about the child being the reason for the deal, I would snap it up. That is after a good test drive...Mark
Old 01-17-2018, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
In my opinion, even if the Silverado has a slightly higher value now, it won't in a very short time. There are millions of silverados and many fewer w250 Cummins. If he is telling the truth about the child being the reason for the deal, I would snap it up. That is after a good test drive...Mark
Agreed, right now, using values around central Illinois, that is a pretty even swap, in 3 years it will flip 2X towards the first Gen.

If you like the truck, and want to keep her nice, then I would swap all day, any day.

Just so you understand, the Dodge is going to ride like a buckboard wagon compared to the Silverado.
The following 4 users liked this post by patdaly:
1320Fastback (01-18-2018), 1STGENFARMBOY (01-18-2018), maybe368 (01-17-2018), NJTman (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 09:23 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
And get used to having to source parts.
The following 2 users liked this post by peckens:
1320Fastback (01-18-2018), mknittle (01-20-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 12:36 AM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
If you trade kiss the quiet ride goodbye, the plush interior goodbye, the buetooth this and heated seats that goodbye. Say farewell to smooth riding suspension and auto unlock with remote start, rain sensing wipers and super cold AC are out of the question too.

What you will gain in return is hair on your chest and a tuff truck that will still be around long affer the Silverado has been melted for new plastics. A truck that will go places you were scared to take the pretty Silverado because you may of scratched the rims, ripped off a A arm or blown out U-Joints. A truck that will tow whatever it is you hook up and will get you to your destination without complaint. It will not be on the side of the highway half way up a moutnain with the hood up like so many newer trucks these days with 14 sensor failures, DEF problems and marginal radiators for towing.

Financially it makes sense too. These trucks are desirable and have a following, a following of people with money who know what they are looking at. In 5 years this truck will still be worth more than you paid (swapped) unlike the Silverado as its a dime a dozen and now even older. Newer trucks don't age well. They are too new to be classics, too light duty to last and simply dont hold their value.

Id swap in a second assuming its not just for commuting. If you do manly things like chop firewood, haul engines, build garages, spend time at Home Depot outside the arts and crafts isle, milk cows, ride horses, rope steers, ride dirtbikes and fish this truck is for you.

It can be a d250 also, people have been throwing axles under 2wd trucks since the Model T days to make them 4x4.
The following 3 users liked this post by 1320Fastback:
edwinsmith (01-18-2018), mknittle (01-20-2018), patdaly (01-19-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 05:41 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Well put 1320Fastback.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (01-20-2018)
Old 01-18-2018, 07:09 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
X2 what 1320Fastback said!
Old 01-18-2018, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by 1320Fastback
If you trade kiss the quiet ride goodbye, the plush interior goodbye, the buetooth this and heated seats that goodbye. Say farewell to smooth riding suspension and auto unlock with remote start, rain sensing wipers and super cold AC are out of the question too.

What you will gain in return is hair on your chest and a tuff truck that will still be around long affer the Silverado has been melted for new plastics. A truck that will go places you were scared to take the pretty Silverado because you may of scratched the rims, ripped off a A arm or blown out U-Joints. A truck that will tow whatever it is you hook up and will get you to your destination without complaint. It will not be on the side of the highway half way up a moutnain with the hood up like so many newer trucks these days with 14 sensor failures, DEF problems and marginal radiators for towing.

Financially it makes sense too. These trucks are desirable and have a following, a following of people with money who know what they are looking at. In 5 years this truck will still be worth more than you paid (swapped) unlike the Silverado as its a dime a dozen and now even older. Newer trucks don't age well. They are too new to be classics, too light duty to last and simply dont hold their value.

Id swap in a second assuming its not just for commuting. If you do manly things like chop firewood, haul engines, build garages, spend time at Home Depot outside the arts and crafts isle, milk cows, ride horses, rope steers, ride dirtbikes and fish this truck is for you.

It can be a d250 also, people have been throwing axles under 2wd trucks since the Model T days to make them 4x4.
Love it. Great explanation. My buddy has an 86 Chevy squarebody and it’s just plain old truck. Question about injectors and things like that. When he says he has 100HP injectors, what exactly does that mean?Also, is a #0 fuel plate the closest you can get to no fuel plate and then like the larger the number the less fuel gets in?
Old 01-18-2018, 09:52 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
If you decide to buy that truck, the first thing I'm recommending is to pull that carpeting out. At minimum, you should cut out that section that is covering the floor pans at both sides, where your feet are. Carpet never dries out, and rots those floors out quicker than you can imagine.

I've replaced my carpet with thick rubber mats that individually can be removed at a moments notice. This lets me "air out" and clean up any water / salt or other messes that make it to the surface of the steel.

Otherwise, Freddy Flintstone and you will have more in common than you would like to ...

(besides oogling over Barney Rubbles wife)
The following users liked this post:
N. Besonderes (01-18-2018)

Quick Reply: First Time First Gen