1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

First gen upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First gen upgrades

Hey guys,

I just bought my son a 1993 Dodge D350 super cab. The truck showed 138,000 miles and the condition makes it sound reasonable. There is also service records and almost every fuel up recorded with cost and average mpg. We started making some modifications to the truck that my son wanted. We have now added a 4" turbo back exhaust, custom built K&N intake, aluminum rock star rims, upgraded stereo, subs, amps, MBRP 8" exhaust tip, etc.

After much discussion he would like more power and of course smoke. I decided to buy a Denny T stage II fuel pin and 3200 governor spring, which is on their way. My concerns... He wanted the pump turned up so I had a friend look at it. He said that it has already been turned up but is surprised because their is very little smoke and seems to be lacking on take off. Any recommendations of checking to see what had been done prior? Counting number of turns before bottoming out, etc? Is the Denny T and 3200 spring a reasonable next step or is there a better combination? What would be a good next step after the pin and spring, Pyro gauges? To me the truck runs great but looking for a little more take off and the smoke that a 16 year old had to have!

Thanks for any comments.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say gauges are the next step, if its an auto then get a trans temp gauge too.

Who cares what has been done to the pump in the past. Read the sticky on pump tuning and learn what each setting does. With gauges and watching for runaway you will be all set to turn it up some then dial in the settings to make it run clean. Its a simple system and doesn't take much time to figure it out.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Banned

First Off Welcome if you put a K&N filter on the truck take it back off and throw it in the Trash they will Destroy your Motor . second cut several 2 in holes in air box or do a BHAF set up .3rd yes the 3200 spring and fuel pin will wake up that truck but if you have a stock torque converter you will be putting a new trans in pretty quick . also put a HX35 or hx40 turbo on it that will also help .I went with a HX35 and a 16 housing and so far I'm happy with my set/up .
Old 10-07-2013, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to both of you. I read up a little before the fuel pin and spring option but didn't realize the amount of increase would cause concern on the torque converter. This is an auto so might make it even worse...The K&N was also after looking through the site and looking at several pics of options.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:39 PM

Do a temperature gauge for the transmission, heat can built real fast with extra power. Engine power has to go somewhere, if its not going to the ground then its making heat in the converter. Too much heat will burn up the trans.

I have a b&m aluminum transmission pan in mine, it has the drain and temp sensor port built in. The pan was around $120 from summit or jegs.
Might consider a shift kit along with doing the band adjustment and TV cable adjustment for.proper shifting. There is a sticky for them too.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Banned

I would Look into a Tcs converter they work very well and will improve the power handling alot compared to stock . I love the 1 I even got Used from a Member on Here been Great .
Old 10-08-2013, 03:05 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I will second the already mentioned excellent suggestion on what to do with that K&N. They do not filter well at all. You do not want anything to do with any type of filter that needs to be oiled. Kinda tough to beat a good ole' paper element without spending a small fortune on a Donaldson or equivalent. The stock filter does just fine. The trick is getting more air into the box. Not just removing the box.