1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

First Gen Electrical Silliness

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 09:00 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
First Gen Electrical Silliness

Fired up the old girl and went to town to get some lumber. Some fool needed a little encouragement, so I hit the horn. The clearance and dash lights went out.
Why in the world would the horn and lights be on the same fuse? And then why do you have to be a contortionist to get at the fuse in question?

The Old tyme mechanic that was my mentor in my youth used to say. "You have to feel sorry for those Detroit engineers. They're gonna spend eternity in hell trying to reach some dang adjustment that can't be reached.

Does anybody else have a silly tale about First Gen Electrics?
Old 11-19-2019, 06:36 AM

Received 341 Likes on 240 Posts
Coming home from work last night I turned the left blinker on and just got a solid green on the indicator light, no problem just a light out, wrong I get home and shut the lights off, I still have my foot on the brakes and the dash lights are still on, let my foot off the brakes and the dash lights goes out and now the blinker works, hmm, turn the lights on all work except for the front marker light on the left front, it just has a slight glow to it. I'm thinking possibly the multi function switch has gone bad but won't get a chance to check it till tonite, anyone else have this happen?
Old 11-19-2019, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by nonrev
Coming home from work last night I turned the left blinker on and just got a solid green on the indicator light, no problem just a light out, wrong I get home and shut the lights off, I still have my foot on the brakes and the dash lights are still on, let my foot off the brakes and the dash lights goes out and now the blinker works, hmm, turn the lights on all work except for the front marker light on the left front, it just has a slight glow to it. I'm thinking possibly the multi function switch has gone bad but won't get a chance to check it till tonite, anyone else have this happen?
I say that it is little green gremlins that have lost their jobs and are taking it out on the little guy. It's true because I read it on the internet...Mark
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 06:58 AM

Received 341 Likes on 240 Posts
I think Mother Mopar had quite the strange sense of humor When it comes to these trucks
Old 11-19-2019, 09:28 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Me and Vernon had,the same,problem. Hit the brakes, dash lights out. Took it all apart, Jim Laned it by soldered up the circuit board pins, and so far, it's good.

Except this am. Woke up, started it to go out,and the WIF notification came on the display. Considering I removed the sensor 10 years ago, and I use different FS1221 fleetguard filters, I can't fathom why it's lit up.
Old 11-19-2019, 06:11 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Fired up the old girl and went to town to get some lumber. Some fool needed a little encouragement, so I hit the horn. The clearance and dash lights went out.
Why in the world would the horn and lights be on the same fuse? And then why do you have to be a contortionist to get at the fuse in question?

The Old tyme mechanic that was my mentor in my youth used to say. "You have to feel sorry for those Detroit engineers. They're gonna spend eternity in hell trying to reach some dang adjustment that can't be reached.

Does anybody else have a silly tale about First Gen Electrics?
My guess is you have some bad grounds in your lights which allows the current to feed back through the marker/tail lights into the dash lights.

Edwin
Old 11-19-2019, 10:52 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by nonrev
That one is usually a short, wire to wire, usually in a lamp socket. Brake light back feeds the tail light, which is connected to the dash lamps in the headlight switch.

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
My guess is you have some bad grounds in your lights which allows the current to feed back through the marker/tail lights into the dash lights.

Edwin
It's fixed, It was just a crusty fuse in a loose connector. Put a fresh fuse in and noticed the connector pushing out the back a bit. Pushed that back in place and all is good. Chiropractor repaired the neck damage.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:27 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin

Chiropractor repaired the neck damage.
Lol... Don't you know it.... Same lives, different locale.

Btw, I place a short stool just outside the door on the side of the running board. This supports my butt while I contort myself under the dash. Helps immensely, yet still painful.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:44 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
I guess there's not enough demand for someone to produce a replacement harness - without the factory problems. It would be a ton of work to replace but definitely worth it.
Rarely when I start the Brick electrical goes haywire; most gauges not working, both turn signal indicators lit but not bright and the high beams on! Smack the top of the dash and all is right again - fixed!
Then there's OD and the speedometer, sometimes they work, sometimes it takes a few miles before they work.

Have you ever looked at the wiring splice diagram in the FSM? Crazy
Old 12-07-2019, 05:44 PM

I've often wondered if anyone has ever built a platform that extended over the engine for a person to lay on while working on the back area of the engine or the wiper motor etc...

Glad you found the problem. Those things can be maddening.

Edwin
Old 12-07-2019, 05:49 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
I've often wondered if anyone has ever built a platform that extended over the engine for a person to lay on while working on the back area of the engine or the wiper motor etc...
It's called an overhead creeper...Google will show you many......Ben
Old 12-08-2019, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Fordzilla
It's called an overhead creeper...Google will show you many......Ben
Whoa! I never imagined they existed. Thank you very much for the search term.

Edwin
Old 12-08-2019, 08:28 AM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
Thank you very much for the search term.

Edwin
De nada, amigo......Ben
Old 12-08-2019, 12:15 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
on my 92 to get to the fuse block just take the 4 screw out in the panel they are mount to drops down un clip the fuse block and you have it your hand no trouble to get at any fuses clip in back on the panel and screw it back in place Ken
The following users liked this post:
buteo (04-17-2020)