1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

finally broke my steeering bracket...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 11:27 AM

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by u2slow
@james1 I refuse to let a basic bracket be a reason for disliking the truck. I have 3 trucks with brackets. They're all holding a steering box. Since its an easy welding fix if/when they crack, I'm not the least bit worried. If you had a square-body chevy (K10 or K20) or 80-96 F150, it would be the frame cracking instead.

@Rug_Trucker no, the 2wd box bolts directly to the frame. This is also the standard box placement when doing crossover steering.
hmmmmm.... something sure is making noise up there with a tight left turn. Can't get it to run long enough to check it+ with all the rainsnow it can't be driven out of where it's parked right now.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi AZ2A. My '93 W250 had that exact issue. Upon the suggestion from the folks at Far From Stock, I had the bracket re-welded, and installed their steering bracket brace. https://farfromstockstore.com/produc...ddf24b58&_ss=r
In our application, in conjunction with the steering bracket brace, the bracket functions as a spacer, and is perfectly satisfactory post-welding. And their steering bracket brace is very stout.
You are, of course, perfectly welcome to pursue crossover steering versus simply repairing what you've got. But I suspect crossover steering, while purportedly a "better" steering system for the W250, is WAY more expensive than simply repairing the existing broken bracket. On the Far From Stock crossover kit at least, it's necessary to move the steering box, shorten the steering shaft, and (ideally) add the steering bracket brace as well. And, you lose the sway bar too. But obviously, your truck, your choice.
Regards,
Pete
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (02-01-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 03:14 PM

Received 2,431 Likes on 1,603 Posts
Originally Posted by jungpeter
Hi AZ2A. My '93 W250 had that exact issue. Upon the suggestion from the folks at Far From Stock, I had the bracket re-welded, and installed their steering bracket brace. https://farfromstockstore.com/produc...ddf24b58&_ss=r
In our application, in conjunction with the steering bracket brace, the bracket functions as a spacer, and is perfectly satisfactory post-welding. And their steering bracket brace is very stout.
You are, of course, perfectly welcome to pursue crossover steering versus simply repairing what you've got. But I suspect crossover steering, while purportedly a "better" steering system for the W250, is WAY more expensive than simply repairing the existing broken bracket. On the Far From Stock crossover kit at least, it's necessary to move the steering box, shorten the steering shaft, and (ideally) add the steering bracket brace as well. And, you lose the sway bar too. But obviously, your truck, your choice.
Regards,
Pete

Seems like you will be spending some cash either way, if you want to upgrade your steering. The FSS brace you posted is about $470.

The crossover steering kit I bought from OffRoad Design was $420. Yes you need a 2wd steering shaft, which is under $200 for a better than stock one. I had plenty of the proper steering shafts so it was a free option to me, but you do not need to weld / fix or reuse the steering plate with the crossover steering. Depending on if you do your own welding, that can save you some cash if not at least time.

I feel like I got a better bang for the about the same cash with the crossover option. As when I am done I have new tie rod ends and a fresh steering shaft to make it really steer better. The other option you are just spending the whole $ budget on the brace and re-using old parts, which may or may not need replacing while your there..

Lots of choices, lots of trucks...too little time.

nothingbutdarts (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 07:16 AM

Received 341 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
Lots of choices, lots of trucks...too little time.
And that my friend sums it up very well
brcron007 (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 04:37 PM

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts
I went reverse steer conversion from the 74 4wd. Only need the cast bracket, box, pitman, and draglink. Worth looking into, probably cheaper and easier than crossover.
Old 02-01-2022, 05:27 PM

Received 2,431 Likes on 1,603 Posts
I have done that swap as well using a reverse rotation box set up off my old '75 W-250. I did that with my '85 crew cab. It IS a great option.

I am now trying cross over steering for the first time. I really want to learn what works best for me, first hand. So what better way than build a few rigs that are very similar but have different steering and suspension approaches. Both are things I can see that can be slightly improved upon from the factory.

Then drive them and see what I think works best.
ScubaSteveCA (02-01-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 04:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My main problem with converting to reverse steering is finding the proper pitman arm, anyone have a source?
Old 02-02-2022, 07:45 PM

Received 351 Likes on 290 Posts
How did you manage to find the box without a pitman attached?
Old 02-03-2022, 04:57 PM

Redhead reverse rotation steering box, unfortunately the box comes minus pitman arm.
ScubaSteveCA (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 06:45 PM

I'd look for a used steering box amongst the wreckers at www.car-part.com. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll split off the arm, or the box itself is too pooched and let you have the whole thing for core value.

EDIT: is the spline unique? There might be some other arm that could fit...
The following 2 users liked this post by u2slow:
juggernautt (02-04-2022), ScubaSteveCA (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by u2slow
I'd look for a used steering box amongst the wreckers at www.car-part.com. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll split off the arm, or the box itself is too pooched and let you have the whole thing for core value.

EDIT: is the spline unique? There might be some other arm that could fit...
This is the way. I scoured junkyards for a while, finally found one with box and pitman. Pretty sure I have a spare cast bracket kicking around. That website is a great resource. I have used it to locate lots of parts and have them shipped from wreckers. I believe you also need the PS hp valve off the old pump, or custom hydraulic hoses have to be made.
juggernautt (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 02:48 PM

u2slow- I don't know if the spline is unique, if anyone knows of a replacement arm please post which one.

ScubaSteveCA- Older wrecks are very hard to come by here in Northern Ontario. I think Redhead will do some custom alterations if you ask.
Old 02-04-2022, 03:56 PM

Do you have any other pitman arm you can try? Would be nice if it's the same spline as so many other Saginaw boxes..
Old 02-04-2022, 06:07 PM

Spline count and dimensions should be obtainable through Redhead or elsewhere on the web, its the pitman arm from a, from what I believe is a 72 to 77 W series Dodge truck that's difficult to locate up here. Apparently some later years Ramcharger may also have used the reverse steering box.
Old 02-04-2022, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by juggernautt

ScubaSteveCA- Older wrecks are very hard to come by here in Northern Ontario. I think Redhead will do some custom alterations if you ask.
So as I recall, the problem is that the stock hp hose is too short. I used the 70s hose from parts store, but the pump end is wrong. A hydraulic hose shop should also be able to sort you out. If I can get into my box of treasures this weekend, I'll see what "extras" I've got. I'll PM you though as we've thoroughly threadjacked the OP

Quick Reply: finally broke my steeering bracket...