1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fan And Clutch Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan And Clutch Upgrade

Hey Diesel heads!! I was looking in the sticky for a fan clutch part # when i discovered an upgrade to the fan and clutch. My ??? is has any one done this upgrade from mopar and do you have to purchase this from the dealer. I have determined that my fan clutch is not operating properly and i need to replace it. The pn# for fan is 52026653 and clutch is 52028760. The sticky suggests purchasing them as a unit. Any help would be appreciated..... Thanks Augie Dog
Old 08-14-2008, 09:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I did this a while ago, my clutch was toast so I did the fan too. Fan will only fit I/C fan shroud. I checked Dodge and they were way high on price so I ordered ordered from Mopar Parts America . com fan was around $60 and I do not remember what the clutch was. The clutch locks up at a lower temp and the fan is more aggressive, I run a whole line cooler on the gauge when towing. I do not know if I would swap out a working clutch fan but would replace a bad one with the upgraded parts in a second.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:33 AM

Sorry to reopen this but i got sidetracked. Thanks Montana for the reply. I checked Mopar Parts America and the fan clutch is $103.++ change. fan is $41.++ change.Now my question is would a NAPA or O"RIELLY clutch be the same quality as MPA? Also i believe you said if fan is in good condition reuse it.is that correct? I will check fan for loose blades and go from there if that makes sense. Also if anyone else has used off brand fan clutches please advise me of pro's and con's of non-mopar parts or cummins oem part. Thanks every one for your help....Augie Dog
Old 08-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Banned

Well I have to run a pusher fan (infront of the grill) when in the hay field or the A/C will over heat and over pressurize causing the relief valve to release the freon. Will this clutch/fan setup make the fan kick on sooner to help cool the A/C condenser???????
Old 08-22-2008, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by AUGIE DOG
Sorry to reopen this but i got sidetracked. Thanks Montana for the reply. I checked Mopar Parts America and the fan clutch is $103.++ change. fan is $41.++ change.Now my question is would a NAPA or O"RIELLY clutch be the same quality as MPA? Also i believe you said if fan is in good condition reuse it.is that correct?
Original fan will bolt to the upgraded clutch the blades do not have as much pitch as the upgraded one. I have no idea of the increase of air moved by the upgrade. As long as the fan is in good condition you can reuse it. We had a ranch truck and put a parts store clutch on it and it lasted about 1 year the Mopar part is still going after 3-4 years.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hayseed
Well I have to run a pusher fan (infront of the grill) when in the hay field or the A/C will over heat and over pressurize causing the relief valve to release the freon. Will this clutch/fan setup make the fan kick on sooner to help cool the A/C condenser???????
I was told that the upgraded clutch locks up at a lower temp than the original, I know it made a lot of difference in temperature when towing, one line on the stock gauge and not so much up and down temps as with the original, I expect it would be a great help when running at low speeds where you do not have the air flow that you do while rolling down the highway.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:05 PM

Thanks Montana, I live in North Carolina so it's much hotter here than Montana. I do have a problem with my a/c cooling properly and i suspect my fan clutch is part of the problem along with some other things. I also pull a 6,000 lb. travel trailer and so far no problems with overheating. I believe i'll just put a new clutch on and see how things go. Thanks again....Augie