1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Failing Multifunction Switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Failing Multifunction Switch

Has anyone had any luck opening the Multifunction Switch and cleaning the internal contacts or is the housing sealed?
Recently I have been experiencing my low beams to blackout on me intermittantly when I flash my high beams, it is usually when it is dark out and I hold on my high beams to illuminate the roadway, when I release the stalk, both of the low beams black out.

If I flash the lamps again the low beams will usually come back on.

I have my headlamps controlled with 4 relays for a redundant system should 1 relay fail.

Is this switch still avalible OEM, I found one at Auto Zone for $55.00 with a lifetime warranty but I am not sure of the quality.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...0303_152924_0_

Thanks

Jim
Old 06-09-2014, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Jim, lots of guys just take the switch off, and spray the hooey out of the insides with contact cleaner, sometimes it works.

As for OEM, I doubt today the quality would be any different than what you could obtain at AZ, I am sure they just buy from an aftermarket supplier for those who buy parts at the dealerships.

I wouldn't have a problem trusting the lifetime stuff at AZ. ( well most of it )
Old 06-09-2014, 08:23 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Has anyone had any luck opening the Multifunction Switch and cleaning the internal contacts or is the housing sealed?
Recently I have been experiencing my low beams to blackout on me intermittantly when I flash my high beams, it is usually when it is dark out and I hold on my high beams to illuminate the roadway, when I release the stalk, both of the low beams black out.

If I flash the lamps again the low beams will usually come back on.

I have my headlamps controlled with 4 relays for a redundant system should 1 relay fail.

Is this switch still avalible OEM, I found one at Auto Zone for $55.00 with a lifetime warranty but I am not sure of the quality.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...0303_152924_0_

Thanks

Jim
Those are just SMP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Motor_Products
I bought mine from napa, it was made in the USA. I paid about $70 for mine and the plastic quality was a lot better than SMP. Nothing beats the OEM ones though. Seems like the quality is loads better and even the contacts are heavy duty. The one from napa was very close, well built. The plastic back then was not as good as it is now days though.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
A few years ago mine was doing the same thing but it was progressing to where it took several clicks to get the headlights back on. Very unnerving on back roads/in the rain with no headlights. I just ordered one from rock auto and have had no issues since. I think the old one had torx screws holding it together.

Ed
Old 06-10-2014, 12:59 PM

Received 345 Likes on 284 Posts
I pulled the spade connectors out if the harness and extended them to an old school floor button.