1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Erratic Temp Gauge/coolant temps.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justagoodolboy
I think a mechanical gauge is probably the best solution in case the system is functioning properly and the factory one is the problem.

BGilbert - what does your mechanical gauge read? Does it stay steady and your factory gauge bounce as I describe? A little more feedback would be appreciated.

Also, what is considered "overheating" in our truck? I realize I have a 180* thermostat, but how high can you safely sustain while towing?
Once warmed up on my 89 the temp would fluctuate between 170-160*. That 10* would conincide with the oem gauge bouncing around as normal like the rest of our trucks. On my auto truck with old oem, NAPA and new Cummins t-stat's the gauge is all over the place, but I have no mechanical gauge to confirm the actual temp.

I would not want the water temp over 215* for very long. For towing and to be sure, a mechanical temp gauge is the only way to go. The factory gauges are for the most part worthless.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:29 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by justagoodolboy
Bear - I am betting you are using the 55 gallon capacity Ford Radiator that came with that truck right?

Actually, I think it's more like 57-gallons; but YEAH, it has the Ford radiator.
Old 05-02-2020, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My gauge stuck at the first 1/4 when i first got it . However the head gasket leaked at the front passenger side which i am told is a-typical. Then i attempted to silver seal it.... Which worked but immediately after that began the 3/4 temp to quickly dropping to 1/4 and back. What bothers nee most is my newly complacent attitude over the temp. I haul a 3k # tool box ( intended for a dually) on the daily so im constantly hauling an s10 uphill and so far it always cools back just to heat right back up

Used bleeder screw to release trapped air, one theory i have is when head leaked the water jackets consistently had air could it not in contact with coolant sensor thus not giving accurate reading... Because now it's not leaking , or overheating but it runs all the way up and down.... I'm also considering the contacts on the cluster might be intermittent ( it swoops up and down aweful fast... Like fuel gauge at start up type fast)

Any thoughts?