1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Eliminating the stock tranny/engine heat exchanger

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eliminating the stock tranny/engine heat exchanger

I have the stock equipped transmission/engine heat exchanger on the side of the block. This unit looks like a round cylinder/canister on the passenger side. I also have the dealer installed under-bed cooler and of coarse the cooler on the radiator. Could I eliminate the heat exchanger one or would this be a bad idea. I just can't see having a need to warm the transmission when I live in temps that rarely go under 30*F. Would eliminating this exchanger reduce my transmission temps at operating levels?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only plus I can think of to having it there is that the tranny won't go into O/D until oil reaches a certain temp, or so I read. I'm not positive on whether the heat exchanger serves that purpose, though. On the other hand you will probably gain some tow capacity by taking it out.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from what i understand it cools the trans fluid, since the coolant temp is lower than that of a working transmission. It may act like a heater for the first few minutes... but i am not sure weather the coolant or the trans fluid reaches its operating temperature first.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:26 AM

Don't remove it. It keeps your oil warm when idling etc, and will cool when you're working it. The oil temp gets above water temp under load. Also, water removes heat 4 times quicker per same mass flow, surface area, and chagne in temperature than air does.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:47 PM

What if you eliminate the heat exchanger and then add either another grill mounted or under-bed mounted oil cooler?

I agree, if the heat exchanger really helps keep trans temps in line, then it should stay on the truck. But I also like the idea of eliminating it so that the possible incident of the exchanger pooping out and mixing coolant and trans fluid is gone.

Has anybody on DTR removed their heat exchanger?

What were the results?

If no one has actually removed the exchanger then you may have to bite the bullet and be the first to do it.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:08 PM

People have eliminated them. And your going to get different opinions on keeping it or getting rid of it... I say leave it alone. It's there for a good reason. Are you having problems with it or are you thinking too much?
Old 02-07-2010, 03:59 PM

Your oil is running un controlled (no thermostat) Not only will the water to oil cooler/heater knock out temperature nicely at high temps, it will keep the oil at a more constant temperature. IDK about you guys, but my truck acts pretty weird when I first take off with it when the tranny fluid is too cold. It has a somewhat constant temperature medium running through it at normal operating perameters (the coolant, which IS regulated via the thermostat).

Instead of getting rid of it and adding an extra cooler... why don't you JUST add an extra cooler? I have heard of no water to oil contamination issues with the cooler thus far in my travels and reading. If so, it would be easy to repair anyway.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:22 PM

I have seen this debate many times now and have posed the question myself. Here is another one, how many other manufactures use them? of those how many have trans problems. People are always saying that the trans is the "weak" part of a dodge when in stock formation. you have gassers out there that don't have them and some guys run big blocks pulling just as much weight only working it allot harder. I would like to know the pro's and con's as far as outcomes from the guys that have removed them and what differences they have noticed. Also are they still using them and if not what year did they stop.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:14 PM

I removed mine, on more than one of my trucks. O/D never acted any different, Trans temp while towing never changed (and yes I had a gauge). Nothing really changed at all except for the fact that I didn't have a possibility of it leaking and putting coolant into my trans. Oh, and a 4" down pipe fit MUCH easier.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:33 PM

Many Chrysler, Plymouth & Dodge front drive cars came from the factory with hothing but an air to air cooler on the 3 speed trans in them. It's just a scaled down version of an A904 which is a scaled down A727.

I don't see why it would be a major problem on these trucks.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rampage1967
Many Chrysler, Plymouth & Dodge front drive cars came from the factory with hothing but an air to air cooler on the 3 speed trans in them. It's just a scaled down version of an A904 which is a scaled down A727.

I don't see why it would be a major problem on these trucks.
For one, this engine is pushing the limits of the torque rating of the transmission right from the factory. You bump the fuel screw and your 100ft./lbs over the factory rating. This ain't no front drive wreck with a puny engine. Jeez...
Old 02-08-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Removing it may not have any short term issues but may sacrifice the overall life expectancy of the transmission. The larger sized cooler lines and the heat exchanger give the transmission an advantage over all of the other ones out there of the same vintage. Chrysler was never one to over engineer systems. If the bean counters & engineers could have saved $100 per truck by eliminating it they certainly would have done so. This is the same team that saved money by not factory painting the inner roof panels or reinforcing cowl corners likely just for minimal cost savings.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:56 PM

In MY case, the "heat exchanger" (HE) was holding the tranny temps at the same temp as the engine = 180*+ and dang sure wasn't helping! Once the temps rose above that, they would NOT come down...

Pulling just 7000# in 90* ambient had the tranny temp (measured with sender in the output line-OEM location on a new Isspro gauge) at 180* within 1/4 mile from the house and it only went up (220* within a mile or 2). This was with both under-bed (fan manually controlled) & grill coolers plumbed & functioning also. I returned home and despite
A) a HUGE thunderstorm that likely had gallons of water being sucked into the radiator &
B) it idling for 30+ minutes in Neutral (I wasn't getting out in that monsoon! ), it never got below 200* ... CTD got parked and everything reloaded into my brothers Chebby (insult to injury!)

While I'm pretty sure/hoping the WSO (worn slap out) torque convertor IS the reason for the extra heat/elevated temp, the HE *WAS* the reason it wouldn't cool down! Months later, I bypassed the HE and Viola! Tranny rarely goes above 180*, engine temps came down (according to the fatory temp gauge), and I can watch the tranny temps cool very quickly (via the gauge) after a hard pull...

No issues with OD, other than the temps will skyrocket trying to tow my usual 7000# (trailer/Jeep/junk) with it engaged...
Old 02-08-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Free89W350
Here is another one, how many other manufactures use them? of those how many have trans problems.
Every auto equipped truck I've seen has a heat exchanger in the radiator itself. Dodge just decided to have the water/oil heat exchanger separate from the radiator, instead of integral.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by apwatson50
Every auto equipped truck I've seen has a heat exchanger in the radiator itself. Dodge just decided to have the water/oil heat exchanger separate from the radiator, instead of integral.
It's set up like a medium duty truck with an automatic. It's a much bigger and better heat exchanger than anything you could fit in a radiator tank.

Quick Reply: Eliminating the stock tranny/engine heat exchanger