1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Electric fans

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric fans

Is anyone running electric fans on a first gen here? I am thinking about putting them on mine and I was wondering what fans to use.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:19 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
I sort of investigated this myself and any decent electric-fan is much to "thick" for the room we have.

I am going to investigate the possibility of installing a pusher-fan behind the grille and wire it to come on with the A/C.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I coppied this but didn't get the sight. Might be of interest. Mike

or the electric fan conversion and am going to use a fan from a 95' Caravan..

The way the Caravan is set up, the low speed comes on whenever the AC is on... Just SOME sort of airflow through the condenser/radiator no matter what.

I've found you can actually get 3 different speeds, like I say, mix and matching the wires. (The black wire always, always being ground)

This is what you've got (On the dark green / light green, I forget which is high/low, because it's been a bit since I've messed with it and have already made my connections)

Black=Ground (For that matter yellow-green stripe is ground also)
Black with dark green = Speed 1 (Hi/low. I don't remember, you can try and find out) Black with light green = (again, same thing)

Black + yellow/green 'ground' ... Dark green+ light green 'power' ... Hang on, you'll take off like a helicopter

I'm not really sure if you want/need two speeds (Thus making two relays necessary).. You COULD make a two-speed setup, but you'd probably have to have two different ADJUSTABLE temp sensors set it up at a hi/lo temp. (Remember, your original setup had a mechanical fan with, I assume, a fan clutch, but was always pulling some sort of air through the condenser/radiator)

The only 'adjustable' ones I've seen are the type with the probe that sticks through the fins of the radiator. They may work fine, but that's not what I'd be comfortable with on my rig (I'll be using a temp switch that screws into the water jacket) ...

I suppose you could hook it up to have the lo-speed on whenever you turned the AC on, shouldn't be that hard, and have a temp sensor to switch it to high-speed if/when the engine became hot enough....

I never gave that much thought to it in my particular case...

But, YES, you'll want to wire in two relays, if you plan on having a hi/low speed. One for each. If I remember correctly, even on low, you're pulling somewhere around 15 amps.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:07 PM

Ok I just got a fan for the truck. It is a 2 speed from a 93 mercury sable. They are rated at 5000 cfm on the high setting. Now I gotta figure out all the wiring and exactly how I am gonna mount it. I am gonna have it turn on the low speed when the ac comes on and then High speed either by a thermostat or a manual switch. I think 5000 cfm is enough they say the stocker is like 8000 cfm but I dont pull any heavy loads and south jersey is about as flat as the salt flats. I will let everyone know how it works out thanks for the advice already.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:52 PM

Somewhere on the 2nd gen part of this forum a guy runs only twin electric fans. They were spendy but I think $650.00 but according to him he never overheats. If I remember correctly he does hotshot type hauling and 10 to 25k is his weight range. He seemed to like them for his application. Maybe has 2 or 3 speeds. He had a long running thread on it if your interested in reading on what he had going. I don't know what a fan clutch, fan, and maybe a radiator repair cost but maybe electric would be good. Anyways good luck with the electric fan upgrade.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
can we expect a nice tech article for the sticky?
Old 06-06-2009, 02:47 PM

Wanna move alot of air? Find a Horton.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
these kits are for a 94/ i dont know if yu could make it work?
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/264-diesel.html
Old 06-06-2009, 03:20 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
The wheel-horse of the electric-fan world is found on certain models of Lincoln; I can't recall which ones.

These pull more CFM than even the biggest of the aftermarket ones.

If I were going to run a two-speed, I would wire Low-speed to come on anytime the engine was running, HI-speed would come on with the A/C and also have a coolant sensor for when the A/C was OFF, the whole thing would be on a master KILL-switch, so that I could run the engine with the fan OFF.

Think about the A/C a minute :--- , you need that condensor cooling the most when the vehicle is sitting still or at low speed; once you get to cruising along at speed, there is plenty of air blowing through to make less need of the fan.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:31 PM

Well I got the old fan and shroud and fan out. I gotta do a little modifing to make it all work but I am pretty sure it will go. I will try to take some pictures as I go along.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:37 PM

I remember there being a posting here sometime ago, that someone installed one in front of the condenser. An ajustable thermo switch can be the answer for temp control for the engine. An A/C hose can be made up with a port for a high pressure turn on switch. I have Peterbilt with five electric fans(two 16 inch and three 12 inch)
Old 06-06-2009, 11:01 PM

Well i got everything in and working now I just gotta run and get some split loom in the morning and tie up a few wires and I will be done. I still have not started the truck or went for a test ride but that will come tomorrow
Old 06-07-2009, 11:14 AM

Well I got it all working and went for a test ride and every thing cools well. I was beating on her pretty good and I had to keep stopping to raise the fan turn on temp to get it to build any temperature. Now I just have a few wiring bugs to work out and I think it will be ok. I put in a 30 circuit breaker with 10ga wire and I blew the breaker. That thing sure draws some power. Now I geuss I gotta go to a bigger breaker and heavier wire.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:50 AM

I would put a relay in there, it takes a load off the switch.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Banned

Heavier wire on ground and pwr, and a good ground, getting a breaker is the best idea yet for you. nice 80 degree day to test it on, but hotter days are coming..... bet tehre is all kinds of room under there now that the factory fan is gone. hook us up w some eye candy, pics please.

Quick Reply: Electric fans