1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Ebay Super HX 40 ???????

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebay Super HX 40 ???????

Probably a stupid question but they are advertising them for about $300 brand new. Anyone have any experience with these ? I've heard alot the ebay turbos are china wannabees. I'd just like to know if anyone has tried these and how they held up
Old 04-02-2012, 06:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cheap chinese junk. Here's a thread from when I first found them. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=277755
Old 04-02-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Old 04-05-2012, 10:27 AM

So I'm going with nobody has tried one of these ?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by barrytransport
So I'm going with nobody has tried one of these ?
I'm going with "Blow one up in your own truck.... on your own."

Also known as "Nobody in their right mind would touch these with a ten foot pole."
Old 04-05-2012, 12:20 PM

For the longest time i wouldnt touch peas or carrots with a ten foot pole but after a little coaxing tried them and well they werent so bad. I understand the video but they intentionally put enough pressure and RPM,s to it to blow them up. Heck they even blew up 1 of their own turbos. All i was asking was has anyone tried them. 2 of the sellers had very good feedback so either the turbos arent to bad or their customer service is really good. Either way I'm only assuming (and you know what they say about assuming!!!) if the product is totally crap feedback wouldnt be so good no matter what the customer service is. Just curious if anyone has tried them on a daily driver with only the occasional abuse. Nothing wrong with cheap horsepower as long as its pretty reliable. Kinda like NAPA versus the dealer quality wise probably not the same but in most cases cant tell the difference. A fairly stock engine isnt going to do alot of damage to one of them most likley a bearing failure is all your going to see. If i am the first to try it and it works WOO HOO !!! If not then i will report that as well. To good to be true? Maybe Not good enough to try ? Well i will be the guinea pig and let everyone know.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by barrytransport
For the longest time i wouldnt touch peas or carrots with a ten foot pole but after a little coaxing tried them and well they werent so bad. I understand the video but they intentionally put enough pressure and RPM,s to it to blow them up. Heck they even blew up 1 of their own turbos. All i was asking was has anyone tried them. 2 of the sellers had very good feedback so either the turbos arent to bad or their customer service is really good. Either way I'm only assuming (and you know what they say about assuming!!!) if the product is totally crap feedback wouldnt be so good no matter what the customer service is. Just curious if anyone has tried them on a daily driver with only the occasional abuse. Nothing wrong with cheap horsepower as long as its pretty reliable. Kinda like NAPA versus the dealer quality wise probably not the same but in most cases cant tell the difference. A fairly stock engine isnt going to do alot of damage to one of them most likley a bearing failure is all your going to see. If i am the first to try it and it works WOO HOO !!! If not then i will report that as well. To good to be true? Maybe Not good enough to try ? Well i will be the guinea pig and let everyone know.
I like your logic. I'm just chicken, that's all. I'll keep watching.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My theory is that they have good feed back by the rice burner crowd that use the turbos. But they don't push as much boost as a diesel so they might not have as much worry of grenadeing one. I wouldn't trust it on my truck. Just my opinion nothing more.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But one, try it out, and let us know how good/bad it worked for you !

Then report back to us and let us know
Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 92betsy
My theory is that they have good feed back by the rice burner crowd that use the turbos. But they don't push as much boost as a diesel so they might not have as much worry of grenadeing one. I wouldn't trust it on my truck. Just my opinion nothing more.
A guy with a VW VR6 is pushing 27psi and 7000 rpms made 6xxhp on one of these knock offs...
Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by 92betsy
They don't push much boost because when they finally get to spool them they don't hook and hit the rev limiter
Old 04-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselJon
A guy with a VW VR6 is pushing 27psi and 7000 rpms made 6xxhp on one of these knock offs...
May be true, but for how long did he hit 27 PSI?

Dyno one for the several Min you might be pulling that load up the hill at 27 PSI and you will see a very different result.

To the OP, buy one, report the results, just don't expect most of us to trust our babies, many of us who would have a hard time choosing between our truck and our wife, to follow you.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:08 AM

Well mr. patdaly looks like i made a mistake and waited to long for some feedback on these from you fellows. Recently bought a diffrent house and have chose the wife over the truck this month. Seems she would like a water softner and a deck soooo the turbo experiment will have to wait till next month but i will try one and let you all know how it goes.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
They are junk....I hear about them failing all the time when people call me wanting to purchase a real turbo...... I get calls from the manufacturer wanting me to sell them here in the Performance Shop and I refuse to dump that crap on my customers.

Sometimes you really do get what you pay for and a Turbo is one of those things