1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

easy one: oil sensor? water sensor? what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
easy one: oil sensor? water sensor? what?

So, when I bought my truck last week, the previous owner told me that I needed to replace the 'sensor' and that he already bought the part, but I needed to go get some other part. (you can see how new I am to all this, it just sort of washed over me)

(and, I couldn't figure out how to load photos on here, so I made a page on my website of the photos of the thing)

here: http://www.ideamountain.com/sensor.html

could someone tell me what it is and what the thing that goes around it is... and how I mount it on there?

in training,
Tys
Old 01-28-2006, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the picture is of an oil pressure sending unit. i don't know what you mean by "i know it goes there" but don't try to put it in the fuel filter! the sender goes directly into the block down and to the left of the fuel filter. i believe the part you need for the fuel filter would be a water seperator/ fuel heater? but i have been wrong before and someone will correct me if i am!
Old 01-28-2006, 02:51 PM

...not the fuel filter

right. Not in the fuel filter.. that I knew. in that photo, there's a wire hanging down that this thing is to plug into... I see the one similar thing that is already going into the block --down and to the left (towards the front of the truck) of the filter... and the wire that i thought it plugs into is wrapped together with that one...

still confused,
Tys
Old 01-28-2006, 04:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Got a pic coming...hang on.

edit: I don't see any wire going to your water-in-fuel sensor on the filter, so there should be two pig-tails hanging around in that area--one for the WIF and one for the oil pressure. I've uploaded a pic (pending approval) of a SLIGHTLY cleaner engine which may help to clear up some confusion.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
slightly cleaner??
Old 01-28-2006, 06:21 PM

Well the sensor looks like the oil pressure sensor. If Micha says it is, then I'm with him. The wire hanging down could be either for the oil pressure or the water in fuel sensor. You do not have a water in fuel sensor. It is missing. The filter you have pictured just has a drain, no WIF sensor. WIF sensor ~$18 from www.genosgarage.com.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok, so it's not the cleanest block, but hopefully it helps you see where things hook up. Oil psi on the left, WIF on the right and their associated connectors.

edit: never mind my 'worlds biggest ziptie' either
Old 01-28-2006, 07:13 PM

so...

Am I holding onto a oil pressure sensor, and I need a water-in-fuel sensor?? that wouldn't suprise me. or am I not understanding? or I need both, and only have a OP sensor?

I just uploaded another photo to my gallery (how do you get them in here in with the text?) with the two spots marked.

if I understand what your saying:
I need to put the WIF sensor in at "B" and attach the wire "A" to the other end, and it looks like i need another bit of wire connector..

man, I really know nothinng. I gotta get that service manual. thanks for the continued help.
Tys
Old 01-28-2006, 07:19 PM

You'll probly need a different fuel filter as well. Fleetguard FS1232. The one you have is different and only has a drain- which I don't think you can remove completely and then thread in a WIF sensor. Then again, maybe. Either way you'll want to remove the filter to install a WIF sensor (if you care to have a WIF sensor), then might as well install a new fuel filter.

Look around the engine area for another wiring harness or plug not being used. Although it might just be cut and not there, so I wouldn't worry about getting a WIF sensor.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by bgilbert
Well the sensor looks like the oil pressure sensor. If Micha says it is, then I'm with him. The wire hanging down could be either for the oil pressure or the water in fuel sensor. You do not have a water in fuel sensor. It is missing. The filter you have pictured just has a drain, no WIF sensor. WIF sensor ~$18 from www.genosgarage.com.
I can't find the WIF sensor on that site. Would you post a direct link? I need one.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by tyssniffen
I just uploaded another photo to my gallery (how do you get them in here in with the text?) with the two spots marked.
Practice and patience...

Old 01-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
http://www.genosgarage.com/CoastalDa...ID=364&CATID=1

Enjoy. You can also get the correct filter from them.
http://www.genosgarage.com/CoastalDa...ID=213&CATID=1

Since you're already paying shipping you may as well get an oil filter while you're at it.
http://www.genosgarage.com/CoastalDa...ID=211&CATID=1
Old 01-28-2006, 07:44 PM

Just kidding, go to your gallery and click on the photo. move the mouse over the photo and right click, then click on Properties.

There should be a title for location and it gives the url for the pic, use that when posting pics *thumbs up*
Old 01-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The dangling plug goes to the WIF sensor (once you get one). The wire heading down behind the power steering pump in the pic is currently plugged into the oil pressure sensor, and the PO was nice enough to give you a new one with the truck. All clear now?
Old 01-28-2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
http://www.genosgarage.com/CoastalDa...ID=364&CATID=1

Enjoy. You can also get the correct filter from them.
http://www.genosgarage.com/CoastalDa...ID=213&CATID=1

Since you're already paying shipping you may as well get an oil filter while you're at it.
http://www.genosgarage.com/CoastalDa...ID=211&CATID=1

thanks, i just picked up the sensor and fuel filter for 38 shipped.

not sure if it was a good deal, but at least i got what i wanted/needed.

Quick Reply: easy one: oil sensor? water sensor? what?