1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

dyno question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dyno question

last year I dynoed at Edge Products in Ogden Utah. Same elevation as where I live. I dynoed 332 HP & 794 TQ.
2 months ago I ported and polished my head. I ported, polished and installed an ATS manifold. I ground the foot off in my pump. Installed a piston lift pump that maintains 13 PSI under load. I installed an 03 intercooler with all 3" piping and a second gen air intake horn.
I dynoed today locally on a superflow dyno, the guy mainly does cars.
My dyno came out at 329HP and 948TQ. Im confused at how I could gain no HP but so much torque. I figured with head porting it would raise my power band to higher RPM which would increase HP.
Im also wondering if the difference between the 2 dynoes has something to do with it.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Winter fuel? Dunno, those mods should've put you higher, I would think.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:27 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Something's wacky with those Superflow numbers. The motor would have to be making peak HP at 1500 RPM or so to have numbers like that. Besides (no offense intended) I don't think you have enough fuel to make that much torque.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:51 PM

none taken, I figured with the mods I would get both an increase in HP and TQ. He dynoed 3 times. The second and third dynoes were both within 2 or 3 HP and TQ. the first one had a bit more HP and I believe 865 torque. I cant find that first dyno sheet. I think he only gave me the last 2 dyno sheets. the first dyno he did differently, cant remember what was different, it was shorter dyno time I think.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:00 PM

What turbo are you running Frostie? I have my guesses as to why your number isnt closer to 400hp like I know you were expecting.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
865 ftlb sounds better, that's not out of the range of possibility if the HP was up around 350.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:10 PM

HTT H1C with an HX40 compressor wheel and a 16 CM housing, I guess its time for twins and a 14 CM fuel pump head
Old 12-12-2005, 08:19 PM

I would hold off on the 14mm head for right now until Brian gets them fixed. The success rate has not been too good. I havent seen many people get over 350hp with the lucas injectors also...only 1 comes to mind.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:37 PM

Interesting, I will have to look into different nozzles. I still want it reliable for my long trips. Is there only 1 person building the 14 CM heads?
Old 12-13-2005, 01:20 AM

frosty, HP = torque * rpm / 5252... so looking at your dyno charts, all you really need to be interested in is torque at what rpm... look at your torque curves and compare rpm between utah and home. at what rpm does peak torque occur? HP peaks at a different rpm than torque because rpm is part of creating HP. You should be able to take the torque number at any given rpm and use the formula above to get HP. Other factors that can affect dyno numbers are fuel, humidity, and barometic pressure.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:52 AM

All dynoes are going to read different I think I have been on a total of 8 this year, but for the most part there wasnt a huge gap between the numbers. Since I lost the KTA pump I had to put a stock one back on and since we finally got a dyno in town I wanted to see where I was at. It's a Superflow, and with a worn out turned up stock 12mm pump(150cc's fuel max) I dynoed 418hp/790 something torque. With the water/meth on I was 509hp/890?? torque. I dont have the dyno sheets in front of me so I am guessing on the torque, but I know the numbers are close.

Get this I also have a stock afc lever in it Something for all of you guys to ponder on. More smoke doesnt allways = more power. I have yet to see a before and after dyno sheet to actually prove this gives you more power. One of there days I might have to break down and try it on a dyno/ flow bench to see if it helps. I did cut the one in my old stock pump. Way too smokey for me.

The only real test to see if you gained anything is to try and dyno on the same dyno that you dynoed the first time, but you will still have to deal with the other factors that can affect a dyno reading.

What does you SOP meter say? What are you gauges saying? I have been dissapointed with some of my dyno readings also I know how you feel. Dont let it get you down. Heck I put twins on and didnt gain any hp I actually lost a few, but it was on a different dyno

Stomp
Old 12-13-2005, 07:23 AM

I am glad that you responded, I have seen your dynoes and almost gave up. But since I love power I didnt. after my mods I took a 2000 mile trip loaded and this thing pulled like a frieght train. It impressed me for sure.
after unloading the truck back to nothing but a bed, I can clutch it a bit and use 3rd 5th and 6th and it is way fast. I can hit 100 MPH in short order.
I was kind of concerned about the readings, they dont make since. 329 and 948 It just doesnt seem right.
I did notice on the way back from my trip that my exhaust housing on my turbo is starting to leak exhaust out of the center section of the turbo. It didnt seem to loose power.
I guess I better sleep on this and decide what to do in the next "go around"
love the power but dissappointed in the dyno
Old 12-13-2005, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stomp
All dynoes are going to read different I think I have been on a total of 8 this year, but for the most part there wasnt a huge gap between the numbers. Since I lost the KTA pump I had to put a stock one back on and since we finally got a dyno in town I wanted to see where I was at. It's a Superflow, and with a worn out turned up stock 12mm pump(150cc's fuel max) I dynoed 418hp/790 something torque. With the water/meth on I was 509hp/890?? torque. I dont have the dyno sheets in front of me so I am guessing on the torque, but I know the numbers are close.

Get this I also have a stock afc lever in it Something for all of you guys to ponder on. More smoke doesnt allways = more power. I have yet to see a before and after dyno sheet to actually prove this gives you more power. One of there days I might have to break down and try it on a dyno/ flow bench to see if it helps. I did cut the one in my old stock pump. Way too smokey for me.

The only real test to see if you gained anything is to try and dyno on the same dyno that you dynoed the first time, but you will still have to deal with the other factors that can affect a dyno reading.

What does you SOP meter say? What are you gauges saying? I have been dissapointed with some of my dyno readings also I know how you feel. Dont let it get you down. Heck I put twins on and didnt gain any hp I actually lost a few, but it was on a different dyno

Stomp
I guess its the porting and polishing that helped you get over 400 without the afc grind huh?
Old 12-13-2005, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Underpsi
I guess its the porting and polishing that helped you get over 400 without the afc grind huh?
No when I had the stock head on I was still over 400hp without the afc grind and that was when I was running my HX40/16 as a single. Even got over 500hp with the help of propane and some water/meth. Still have the dyno sheets if you need to see them to believe me.

frostie-Look for a pm later tonight when I have some more time.

Stomp
Old 12-20-2005, 04:40 PM

Sorry to bring back older threads, but is the grind worth it or not?

Quick Reply: dyno question