1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Drilling out the head for better fuel flow

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 07:22 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Drilling out the head for better fuel flow

Has anyone done it? I'm making my own fuel system instead of buying a fass or airdog. I just upgraded my line from the fuel filter to IP with 1/2" hose and an8 fittings with m12x1.5 to an8 adapters. But the adapters are rather restricted. I was wondering if anyone drilled out the inlets on the head where the banjo bolts go. 3/8npt to an8 adapters seem like they would flow much better but I'd rather have input before drilling out the head. Thanks for the help everyone
Old 04-27-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Still got a VE pump? If so, you're not going to gain much of anything.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck
Still got a VE pump? If so, you're not going to gain much of anything.
yea I'm sticking with the VE I'm pushing 400 rwhp and 800 ftlbs right now with not fuel system no intercooler and no water meth on a single turbo. I'm not taking about drilling the banjo bolts. I'm talking about drilling and tapping the head where the banjo bolts mount to accept a 3/8 NPT instead of the m12x1.5 so that it will flow about as much as the AN8 fitting would
Old 05-01-2017, 09:03 AM

Anyone have any input or opinions?
Old 05-01-2017, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo52
Anyone have any input or opinions?
I got what you are talking about. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If yes, is it tapped in after the filter? If not, I would recommend getting one.

If your fuel pressure never drops below 2 or 3 psi post filter and head, more flow isn't going to be of benefit to you.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:04 PM

I got what you are talking about. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If yes, is it tapped in after the filter? If not, I would recommend getting one.

If your fuel pressure never drops below 2 or 3 psi post filter and head, more flow isn't going to be of benefit to you.
yea I have a fuel pressure gauge after the filter but its not run to the cab so I dont know what it is on the throttle but idle is 5-7 psi with the stock lift pump. I'm making my own fuel system with a walbro 392 cause I can build the system cheaper than but I ng a fass or airdog
Old 05-02-2017, 01:40 PM

yea I have a fuel pressure gauge after the filter but its not run to the cab so I dont know what it is on the throttle but idle is 5-7 psi with the stock lift pump. I'm making my own fuel system with a walbro 392 cause I can build the system cheaper than but I ng a fass or airdog
If that's the case have you though about bypassing the stock filter completely in favor of a remote mount filter head and Cat 1R-0750 filter or the like? More flow and better filtration all in one...
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (05-03-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 08:57 AM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
More pressure will certainly benefit a VE.

More dynamic timing advance sooner, more injection pump cooling, and more volume as well if the lift pump bore/lines/sump supports it.

I run a steady 20psi at the head, and my fp never drops below 12-14psi at 3700rpm, even with sizable sticks & a large VE.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ofelas

More dynamic timing advance sooner, more injection pump cooling, and more volume as well if the lift pump bore/lines/sump supports it.

I run a steady 20psi at the head, and my fp never drops below 12-14psi at 3700rpm, even with sizable sticks & a large VE.
what kinda fuel system setup are you running? I was gonna go with a walbro 392 bypass regulated to 12psi a prefilter before the pump 1/2" line and an8 fittings with the stock filter head with the fs1221 filter before the injection pump and a nodded fuel pickup in the tank.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:43 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
OFELAS use a custom Canada built Pee pump style hard maple wood piston style pump, it holds pressure very well at WOT and what he suggested above has been achieved on his rig

VE will always benefit from cooler fuel and more flow/pressure to a point.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:30 PM

Gizmodo - My supply system consists of - A1000, billit dual filter housing, aeromotive boost referenced regulator, AN10 lines, fuel coolers on supply and return, 20 gallon aluminum cell with fuel resistant-anodized cooling coils in it.

Flatbed - I'm not sure where the reference to maple wood comes from. Are you inquiring about my previously used sub 420hp piston pump details or the new one?

what kinda fuel system setup are you running? I was gonna go with a walbro 392 bypass regulated to 12psi a prefilter before the pump 1/2" line and an8 fittings with the stock filter head with the fs1221 filter before the injection pump and a nodded fuel pickup in the tank.
Originally Posted by 93flatbed
OFELAS use a custom Canada built Pee pump style hard maple wood piston style pump, it holds pressure very well at WOT and what he suggested above has been achieved on his rig

VE will always benefit from cooler fuel and more flow/pressure to a point.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:43 PM

Where did you get a maple wood Pee piston pump capable of supporting 420HP? Does it have a different bore size?

Your electric system sounds very familiar.......
Old 05-04-2017, 01:50 PM

IDK about 420hp, that was at the front 33's running on 5 spark plugs.
New one has something like NASA quality machining for the cylinder, and the piston was a Wiseco built unit with ring lands lowered. Dual custom springs that are rpm controlled. NO COIL bind possible.
It's a large bore piston pump I got from "nascar" Mark Wilson at Dieseltuff with a few different stout psi springs - gave me 1465 at the rear wheels with a tuning fork.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by ofelas

Better cooling? How? If no more fuel is moving through the pump, how is stacking more pressure at the inlet making anything cooler? If anything, the extra pressure is creating more heat.

As for the dynamic timing, simply pull a shim or two from behind the KSB if you want it to advance sooner.

As for your "large" VE, it is the same size as the rest of ours.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:42 AM

So in your example you would want a worn out oil pump to keep your oil pressure down to make less heat inside your engine?

As far as you comparing your 12mm home tweaked ve to OFELAS Giles built pumps you must be smoking the devils lettuce.

Better cooling? How? If no more fuel is moving through the pump, how is stacking more pressure at theinlet making anything cooler? If anything, the extra pressure is creating more heat.

As for the dynamic timing, simply pull a shim or two from behind the KSB if you want it to advance sooner.

As for your "large" VE, it is the same size as the rest of ours.

Quick Reply: Drilling out the head for better fuel flow