1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

dies in motion/wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dies in motion/wont start

1993 dodge with the cummins 5.9, hey,truck will die and i need to loosen injector to get fuel flowwing to restart,replaced the lift pump,put in a racor filter ahead of that and replaced the injector pump and fuel shut off module,in for close to 3G's and a bunch of time and frustration,truck wouln't satrt again ,loosened the injector and got it goin again, im at about 1/4 tank of fuel,no leak in fuel line as its a rubber line to replace the existing,it was parked while it would not start but has just died while driving a few times,its a no fuel problem. when i went to the lift pump it was slack then tryed to crank it to reset the crank but still slack,so did the bleed thing and got er goin, maybe a pick up tube in my tank with a hole, or cracked tanked or fuel tank lid,got me,goin back to the mechanic tomorrow,he's stumped,my next thing is to pull the tank and check it out,i could use your expertise on this one guys,its got me.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:42 PM

Fill up or add some more fuel, see if the problem goes away. I have had problem with one of my truck too.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:16 PM

Try using some clear plastic line from the hard line to the lift pump. If you have air coming from that part you will be able to tell. Sounds like air getting in from the supply side. Happened to me not too long ago, it was a faulty lift pump (it was six months old)
Old 02-08-2009, 01:22 PM

Testing , any ?
Throwing parts at a problem almost always costs more , than finding out what is wrong [ testing ] .
When ever I see a lack of capitals , spacing ect. [ short cuts ] I suspect shortcuts in repairing / working on truck correctly .
Just saying it seems the 2 go together .
Not a judgment as much as a observation .
Old 02-08-2009, 01:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Comon john. not everyone likes to use these electronic typey thingys. some of us spend our time under our rigs then at grammer school, but this is a necessary evil and great site. Be easy. ***(Try using some clear plastic line from the hard line to the lift pump. If you have air coming from that part you will be able to tell. Sounds like air getting in from the supply side. Happened to me not too long ago, it was a faulty lift pump (it was six months old)*** "Big" has it right. You might be getting air in the lines.. When you loosen the lines, It primes them. Essentially gettin' the air out.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:12 PM

Several years ago I had a 96 Dodge that I replaced the transfer pump on and it started and ran fine for a few days then all heck went wrong or so I thought. After days of looking,checking, and alot of cussing I found like a felt type sealing washer that was on the suction side of the pump had gone bad. Went to the dealer and they said It didn't come on the truck. So I redid the suction side line going into the pump. The truck never missed a beat after that. It can be something so small on the suction side that it can be overlooked so easy because it normally won't have any kind of leak. Keep looking and checking, the clear plastic line trick is cheap and pretty easy. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:50 AM

clive , don't get run off , my comments are never meant for that .

thegoat86 , again , its just observation , doing things right , is easier than doing wrong [ fix it right the 1st time ] if for no other reason in this case , if someone is asking for info/help , they shouldn't make it harder , by making harder to read/understand .
When I started on forums , I had a lot of issues with this same subject , I have found that to exchange ideas , it was easier to get the writing correct , than to go back & forth asking multiple questions to get what was said the 1st time .
Old 02-09-2009, 03:01 PM

I have friend like you. He is a perfectionist and gets mad when I attack something with a hammer to straighten it. Or use the press for other than its intended purpose, and is always the first and quickest to lecture about something irrelavant. Most people on here have projects or are trying to make what they have survive. Cheap fixes and general info are key to this process. Proper spelling and puntuation are not. I appreciate your candor. But not the place or time. Just have fun on the boards thats what they are here for. I love the " my truck ran out of fuel and wont start! what do I do?" They are the best. Plus its fun to go back and forth. I am going back and forth with guys hereall the time. Its fun and gives me something to do when I am bored at work. Sit bak an injoy thu mispelin and ; bad ]punktuation"
Old 02-09-2009, 06:09 PM

how does it do on a hard pull?does it die again,mine is doin the same thing under hard pulls and i am thinkin its the fuel line size the lift pump isnt getting enough fuel.so i think i may go to 1/2"line
Old 02-10-2009, 09:51 PM

Randy's welding,i put on a 300psi fuel line,you cant squeeze it with your fingers,still the same i/d. Faughn,im lookin for info on truck,not school punctuation,been through all the stuff that's where the pump and filter and lift pump all come in,,no fuel leaking on the pressure side,think i'll check that felt washer issue on the lift pump like RCS mentioned, thanks for your guys info,
Old 02-11-2009, 10:58 AM

always check for a leaky injector. could be bleeding air back into the fuel line. also check the sending unit for cracked plastic bungs where the lines connect to the tank. has happened to me before. pulling that tank down is hard on those fitting unless you have small hands to disco the lines first. Check that little plastic tube inside the tank before putting it back into place. If you havent changed all fuel lines to rubber, go through and feel for wetness along the frame rail/ or oily residue. Last but not least lift pump pressure and fuel pump leakdown. My god! feel like I was just possesed by the ghost of an actual mechanic who knew what he was talking about.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:59 PM

if the diesel heater unit on the fuel filter had a leak,would it push fuel out so as to detect a leak,or would it just suck air in when the truck was shut off.when turned on , there would be a route for the fuel,so no fuel leak would be visible,yeah?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:09 PM

That side is pressurized. That means the fuel will leak out as long as your lift pump is putting out pressure. When its off, it will suck in the air because there may be a vacuum.