1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

D70 axle spindle threads boogered up

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D70 axle spindle threads boogered up

One of the axle spindles threads is all messed up from a previous owner. I had to laugh at a previous post in a thread where the owner said he found a nail being used to hold the nylock nut in place. I had something similiar, a screw was used. Had to back it out. The original nut is all boogered up too. I went and bought a new one at NAPA, and it wouldn't even go on without loosing all of it's threads. There went $16. I tried a thread file and some regular files to clean the threads up but that didn't help. Long story short, ended up placing two lock washers (old style) behind the original boogered up nylock nut. This sorta spaced it out further to where it had 'good' threads and would hold tight. Without the two washers the nut would get loose before the hub unit would get tight.

Well now I have a oil seal leak from that side. Should've put a new seal in when I did the brake job a few weeks ago[rolleyes]. Since I'm going to pull the two wheels, axle shaft and hub again to replace the seal, figured I'd try to fix these threads up/do it right etc.

My question or point of this thread is, is there a die this big to cut new threads or clean these boogered threads up? I imagine it would be high dollar, if one exists I wonder if a drivetrain shop would loan it out, for a fee of course...?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:59 PM

Bill, try a truck shop. Medium to heavy truck work. We have one here that does alot of Dana/Spicer work on axles of all sizes, they actually beat just about any pricing I found online for a D70 rebuild kit. It would have been about the same with shipping. I think that would be your best bet for something like a tap for the axle.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Banned

I have a triangle file that I use on boogered threads. It has worked just fine in the past. Requires time and patience.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:00 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
A file works good, but you may want to look at what they call a "thread file" you can buy these from any one of your tool dealers, they are cheap and work good with time and beer.
good luck
Justin
Old 05-15-2008, 10:45 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Are you sure the spindle isn't "egg-shaped" a bit from whatever buggared the threads ??

Go to the junk-yard and find some of the MUCH HARDER old-style nuts, just like the ones in the top picture here :

http://quad4x4.com/Dodge%20Rear%20Axle.htm

Take a SHARP square file and cut three equally spaced notches on the inside of one of these nuts, thereby creating a thread-chasing die of sorts.

To clean up and sharpen the threads on this home-made die, run it on and off a good spindle several times.

A lot of tedious filing and time, but this trick may save a lot of dollars otherwise.