1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Cruise Control troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise Control troubleshooting

Until I get my tech manual, can someone help me troubleshoot the Cruise...previous owner said it worked after it &quot;warmed up&quot;...for whatever good that is...said it worked &quot;the day before&quot;...but not at all over the last two days for me...wouldn't ya know it <br>I checked the fuse identified as &quot;speed control&quot;..it's good...any common problems?....where do I start?...<br><br>Thanks for any help...<br><br>Spent all day yesterday cleaning the interior...looks gooooood now...and gotta thank the warm jet stream from the States!...gettin some bomby weather up here!!!!!
Old 01-07-2003, 12:02 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Cruise Control troubleshooting

Hey Craig!!!<br><br>Nice buy.. sounds like a gem.. <br><br>As for the cruise control, the auto's have had problems with the throttle position sensor giving fits with the cruise control system. As I don't have the auto, I'm a little foggy on the actual way to test/set the TPS. The reports I have heard over the years is that the TPS gets a worn spot where you would normaly operate the throttle and cuts out. I am hoping some of the more experienced Auto drivers out here can give better details..<br><br>Good luck bud, and ya grrrreat bomb weather!!!!<br><br>J-eh
Old 01-09-2003, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does it shift in and out of OD correctly? If so I would say the TPS is ok
Old 01-09-2003, 08:32 PM

No problem at all with the OD...and since I just got the owners manual in the mail from the previous owner with a note that says to &quot;try a hair dryer on all the cruise related components&quot;...I think he insists it's something to do with heat...but at this point I don't think so...and as I am now flipping through the manual I see the speed control fuse is for the fuel pump not the cruise...so that didn't matter...I have tried it everyday since I've had it...no luck..I will get a chance to get a better look at it when I get some heat in the garage....or it warms up outside....not holding my breath on that happening...<br>Cheers..
Old 01-11-2003, 09:25 PM

I have a 92 with Auto and 210k on it with a cruise problem also. In he past a TPS fixed it but this time the clockspring was replaced when it quit and it now wants to work intermittently i/e shuts off after 4-8 miles. Can be reactivated once and then it simply will not work for awhile. When it does work it also will not accelerate up a grade. Some of these<br><br>units have a module and some don't. Suggestions?
Old 01-13-2003, 01:04 AM

Check and see if it works when you adjust your tilt wheel up a notch. Then 2, then three etc. If it starts to work, you've got a pinched wire at the tilt. No big deal just remove that big plastic housing and check the wire. Pinching or cutting will be easy to see. Or just check it anyway, its only 3 or 4 screws. It's a stupid setup and prone to this problem. Hope this helps Rick
Old 01-13-2003, 09:25 PM

That's an easy check..I will do that tomorrow and let ya know....thanx!....
Old 01-14-2003, 08:39 AM

something esle you can check is the brake light switch at the brake pedal under the dash , smoetimes i have to readjust mine to get the cruise to work , also when i bought my truck the crusie didn't work ,i had to replace the switches on the steering wheel,hope this helps<br>
Old 01-14-2003, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the input fellas. Tilt wasn't the answer. Brake switch is new and adjustment is fine. I may have a low vacumn problem as my ABS and Brake warning lights will come on if the truck sets for more than a couple days. After a trip to town they go out. w/a
Old 01-15-2003, 02:57 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Yes, check the vacuum line(s) going to the brake booster. They get dried and cracked from heat and normal aging.<br>Also you may want to check the vacuum right at the vacuum pump. That will tell you if you have proper supply.<br><br>I have a detailed &quot;how to&quot; on setting/checking the TPS if you want it. <br>Let me know.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:26 PM

Well, no luck with the crusie control yet after checking with the wheel at various tilts....with regards to the switches, the on off switch feels normal, a definite detent, however the set/resume switch feels different, no definite engagement on the set side...is this the same with anyone elses?....and I will check the vacuum lines...I thought I had read somewhere there should be 10Hg at the input side of the cruise...is this correct? I will also poke my head under the dash and check the brake switch...Thanks all!<br><br>
Old 01-18-2003, 08:42 AM

my switches felt fine also ,but when i pulled the steering wheel cover off and unplugged them ,i ran a jumper wire and the cruise worked with a jumper wire but not with the switches, so i replaced the switches and the cruise worked, also you can check the switches with an OHM meter.<br>
Old 01-18-2003, 05:49 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought this 93, the guy had just replaced the contact box in the steering wheel that has the contacts that turn with the wheel. Anyway, that was what killed it on mine. I have the box of parts here. Just a pivotal junction for the wheel best I can tell..<br><br>J-eh
Old 04-03-2003, 09:45 PM

It works ;D!!...I know you guys will be happier for me than my wife...I got the &quot;that's nice dear&quot; reply..but after determining the &quot;set&quot; micro switch was defective I found a close enough of a match to replace it, it's a bit taller so will have to modify the switch &quot;cover&quot; but it will work. Couldn't find an exact micro switch or a donor truck, and didn't want to pay the dealer for a new harness....so I am happy with the low$ fix...