1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Crazy City of Phx Auction Prices

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy City of Phx Auction Prices

I went to the City of Phoenix property auction hoping to score on a used Dodge diesel.

What they had was 3 what they called 'Brush Trucks', basically single cab W350's with a service body, water tank, gas water pump, and fire hoses to fight brush fires.

There were 2 89's and a 90, all with turbo non-intercooled cummins.

What caught my eye was they all had less then 100k miles. An 90 had 35k, a 89 with 57k, and another 89 with 71k. Interiors were all good, cloth seats (not torn), rubber floor mats, hand crank windows. Red paint on the hood was faded, the top half cab was painted white and still good. There were holes drilled in the cab for radio antennas, which had been removed.

I and other bidders had the same idea, remove/sell the fire fighting equipment and add a flat bed.

Well, my hopes for an easy score were dashed as I dropped out of the bidding at $5000.

The first went for $6500, the 2nd for ....$10000! and the 3rd for $7500. I just shook my head at these bids. What were they thinking?

Are these the going prices for 1st gens now?
Old 09-16-2007, 07:03 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Sounds nuts. I've gone to the County auction here and stuff was going for stupid prices ($1200 for a 10 year old Ford Tempo with a blown HG? ) so I guess government auctions are where stupid people shop.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I saw that in the Phoenix paper yesterday morning (here on vay-kay) Thought about going, but I can't afford my own junk right now
Old 09-16-2007, 08:41 PM
TJE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I find very few good deals at auctions. Some people get in an (I'll show you mode you're not out bidding me) and run the stuff way out of sight. This same thing happens at farm auctions.

Later, Tony
Old 09-16-2007, 09:18 PM

I bought my 1996 Impala SS at a local auction. The place mostly auctions off farm equipment, but usually they have a few vehicles. My car only had 49K miles and was/is in great shape, it just needed a good cleaning. I only paid $6250(which was the reserve), and KBB said it was worth $13K and some change at the time I bought it. It was just at the wrong place. A farmer could care less about a '96 Impala SS.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:04 PM

With the trucks in question youre thinking about it wrong.

Were the trucks bought by guys that just wanted a truck ??

Out here trucks like those you mentioned always bring good money. Just think if you needed a brush truck. The equipment on those trucks would cost way more than that if you had to purchase it by itself then you still need a truck. Small cities and resorts etc. send a guy or two with a blank check and tell them dont come back without it.
Im not saying thats what happened to you but if you think about it that way 10k for a nice fire truck with 35k miles is a steal if thats what youre looking for.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:15 PM

alot of times it is just that it is an easy score for standby fire fighting contract crews to buy a rig all set up. one call pays the rig off. has little to do with what it is mounted on.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:31 PM

to add to farmer0 1, I currenly work on a helicopter that is on a Fed Forest contract and i have seen many a guy get a little brush truck or water truck (the ones you see on road construction wetting the road) and they can make $500 to $1000 a day when on a fire.. So with a good fire season and being in the right area One could pay for the truck and put a nice chunk of change away for the winter
Old 09-16-2007, 10:33 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TJE
I find very few good deals at auctions. Some people get in an (I'll show you mode you're not out bidding me) and run the stuff way out of sight. This same thing happens at farm auctions.

Later, Tony
An auctioneers dream is 2 people with a lot of money that hates each other

Ive seen things go higher than new price at auctions.. The only thing that went cheap Were the ones i had listed
Old 09-17-2007, 03:21 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theres a couple guys around here that have bought used brush trucks and you can hire them to monitor your range and pasture burn-offs.. in teh spring they are in heavy demand and apear to be making a pretty penny...
Old 09-17-2007, 03:53 PM

Well, I certainly didn't see the value the fire equipment on the trucks, I was just thinking of making a ranch truck. Even at our ranch, we don't have to deal with brush fires. though I suppose you could wet down the arena before roping.

Maybe the guys that bought the trucks are working the Calif. fires now (an making money).
Old 09-17-2007, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the brush trucks are in high demand. I am a firefighter and from experience they make the money back fast.I would pay 7-10 k for a nice first genny with under 100 k( EVEN IF IT WAS A PICKUP FOR PLAY-THINK ABOUT IT HOW MANY HAVE MILEAGE THAT LOW ANYMORE?).And yes there are the crazy auctions that get out of hand, but I have also bought some good trucks dirt cheap! I bought a 78 w400 fire truck for a pretty penny- it was well maintained, garaged, etc.,they can be well worth the money either way.