1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Couple wierd fueling and idling issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 05:28 PM

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts
Couple wierd fueling and idling issues

Well I just recently made a 400 km drive back home for thanksgiving. At the end of the trip I noticed that I was getting excessive white smoke out my exhaust when I would step on the throttle. I had a few ideas of what it could be, so when I got home I took apart the top of my pump and looked at my DennyT fuel pin. It was gauged pretty good, so I assumed that it may have been sticking on there. So I polished it down and put it back in. In doing so I noticed that the pin that rides on the fuel pin was sticking and wouldn't travel all the way out sometimes, I cleaned it as best as I could. Now when i go out driving 50 percent of the time it will be a whitish grey smoke, and the other half i'll be getting good fuel and pure black smoke. Leads me to believe that it is for sure a sticking pin. If this is true, are there any good ways to fix this so it operates smoothly? Maybe replace the rubber seal? I also noticed my mileage was the worst its ever been since.

The next problem that arouse is the trucks idling. I can get it idling at about 1000rpm just fine, no problems there. Though when I go to put it in gear it stalls on me. So I adjusted my idle to probably around 12-1300rpm and put it in gear and it just barely manages to idle. When it stalls, and I go to fire it back up it will idle perfectly, than once I kick the throttle a little bit, it will start idling back up to 1300rpm where I had originally set it.
From what I can tell, putting it into gear is making my engine idle 300rpm lower. Now I know there is drag from the tranny, but not enough to kill my engine at 1300rpm. This is the first time my truck has shown these symptoms as well, usually it idles at 1000rpm and goes into gear just fine.....

If anyone had a similiar experience, and can possibly lead me their brians i'd really appreciate it
Old 10-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
What's the fuel pressure? I suspect a plugged filter or a weak lift pump.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:56 PM

I just finished replacing the fuel filter, so that is ok. I took it for a drive and its still making white smoke, well more like gray smoke 50 percent of the time, than black the other half of the time. I dont have a pressure gauge on my fuel system neither, so I have no idea what psi that is at. Maybe its time for a piston pump and some gauges. I sure hope thats the only problem

I have no idea what is making it idle weird either. While I was driving, I was cruising at 80 kms and it was revving pretty high just cruising. When I come to a stop, I can hear something kick it back down to idle normally in Drive. As soon as I put it in park or neutral though, up the rpm's go again.....
Old 10-11-2009, 07:58 PM

Oh and on a side note, I went to our little homemade quarter mile strip in town to race my dads 05 diesel 4x4, with a chip on performance mode.
I'm pretty sure if my truck hadda been running top notch, I woulda beat him!
I had him off the line and a nose length intell about 120 km's than he beath me by a truck in a half.
I love these old trucks!
...if only I could get it running right
Old 10-11-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

This is my first post, but i know a little bit about diesels.

Could an injector be bad? because in our excavator it has a bad injector and when you start it or sometimes when it is not warmed up ( in the summer ) it will blow white smoke and then the grayish black smoke untill the injectors warm up.

Does the truck still have the same amount of pickup and go? or does it seem to choke out a little bit. I would guess the lift pump if it seems to choke out or spit and sputter.

Just a few suggestions I don't know how good they are but it is an attempt.

Good luck,

Kody
Old 10-11-2009, 08:37 PM

Yea it still seems to have the same amount of go baby. Since I cleaned the pin I haven't seen pure white smoke anymore. Only gray smoke, and it will go away after a few WOT pulls. It will be all black smoke for a while than eventually the gray will start again. I'd imagine that problem is a combination of the fuel pump and a sticky pin. So that is fixable

My biggest concern is the idling though, it just doesn't make any sense to me. Going from 900-1000 rpm in drive, and to 13-1400 rpm in park. Anyone know if its possible I put something out of whack when I took the pump top off and exposed the governer spring?
I noticed that when I did manage to get it to idle properly....without touching the idle screw......that as soon as I moved the kickdown cable (i think thats what its called going to the tranny) it would start idling high again, with out even touching the throttle....
Old 10-12-2009, 02:00 AM

ian having the exact same problem with the idle situation your having.

i just put the PDR cut pin in and 3200 gov spring
I thought i indexed the throttle shaft wrong but i have put it in a few configurations now and cant seam to change the idle issue.
i started to think because the pump was turned thats why it would idle higher when not loaded up.
But then thought cut fuel pin-Wich is mickey mouse in my opinion was the culprite.Sent the old one back for core or i would have swaped it out.

side note whats the purpose of the pin?From what i read all it does is allow full fuel from idle but not after like 2200rpm's?

i have the opertunity to have my pump put on a injection test bench by a pro but hes never hotrodded anything so i was skeptical......iam thinkin this is the only way to find the problem though....iam sick of "trying things"

THANK YOU TO ALL THE VETRANS OF THE BOARD FOR AWNSERING QUESTIONS OVER AND OVER!!!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:59 AM

the pin just allows more fuel as your boost rises. As far as i know anyways.
I really dont know what the problem is with our pumps. Now that I think about it my truck was acting funny before this too, not as bad though. Every so often before it would idle high intel it got hot, than all i had to do was flick the throttle and it would idle back to normal. Now I cant even flick the throttle it will just stay at a high rpm intel i put it into gear.
Maybe there is a sensor somewhere that is not working, I really dont know though. I think I will take it to piers in Surrey and see if the mechanics have any idea. Unless someone on this board can lend me some experience in this issue
Old 10-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
When they want to die at idle after a 3200 RPM spring it's the lever clocked one spline too loose.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:57 PM

Iam going to try and **** with the throttle shaft some more.

wanna diesel iam sure your right.

on a side note if you had the opportunity to put your pump on a test bench at a injection shop would you?
what could i do internally to the pump to gain performance? is there a link you could point me towards?
iam not sure what exactly it would accomplish but knowing how much output the pump is producing would be nice to know.

WHERES THE HOTRODDED VE PUMP STICKEY

no not the turn up your fuel scrw stickey
Old 10-12-2009, 07:17 PM

Black smoke= too much fuel, white smoke= not enough fuel or retarded timing. Thats my understanding. If so, I suspect that sticky pin would be the problem. From what i've read, Denny t's don't gouge easy. My question is: under what conditions do you get black smoke/ white smoke?
Old 10-13-2009, 01:25 AM

Well I checked my oil today and it has risen about a liter, so as far as I have read thats a sure tell sign that my fuel pump has crapped the bed. Time for a piston pump. It would make sense too because I would usually only see the grayish white smoke at higher rpms, while doing town speeds and tapping the throttle I will see only black smoke.
Hey wanna, the only way I could get my truck to idle in drive was to set my idle really high in park, so when it droppes 300 rpm in gear it wouldn't kill the engine. I noticed today, starting my truck cold, that it will idle the same as it idles in gear, until it warms up, than it will idle high to where i'd set it......
When im driving highway speed it is revving high as well, but as I come to a rolling stop, I can hear it kick back into a lower idle...
Also, I noticed driving today that its shifting very wierd, like its struggling to find a gear, even when I manually shift from 1st to 2nd....
Im so confused right now!
But im glad I have a reason to do this p pump conversion now, I bet it wakes my truck up a little more
Old 10-14-2009, 12:32 AM

Bump

Anyone have any ideas, this ole girl has become a pain in the *** to drive. What would make it idle fine cold and in gear, but as soon as it is warm and in park or nuetral, or cruising......it wants to idle high. Sometimes when its warm and I restart the engine, it will idle fine in park, but as soon as i bump the throttle, it starts idling high again.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:52 AM

mopowa

i dont think your pump is bad

my truck is droping the gears down ,upshifting wierd in second

whe i tune the pump down and turn the idle up the shifting goes away
mine idles low when its cold and after warms up idles high

My truck was 100% fine untill i put the gov spring in and screwed with the throttle shaft.

iam sure iam one tooth out on the splines just like wanna diesel said..I havnt had the time to fix it yet but i will confirm this by friday night.

my truck only has 90miles original.....runnin standadyne the pump is not bad
Old 10-14-2009, 04:51 PM

I agree w/ lucas 1. I think the KSB is helping you out when cold. Check the index on the throttle shaft to make sure its right. Maybe play with it a little to see if there's any change, or start it cold and unplug the KSB and see what happens. Just my 2 cents, but process of elimination helps.

Quick Reply: Couple wierd fueling and idling issues