1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold air intake?

I have a 92 d250 2wd with the stock intake and I was wonder if keeping it completely stock would be best? Maybe just like a k&n air filter or mod my stock box. I have been told and read that a cold air intake really doesn't do much more than the stock is that true? Or should I get a cold air intake? Or make a homemaid box and tubbing?
This is all I have done to it.. If it makes a difference
4" exhaust from cab back 3" from turbo to cab to 6" tip
Fuel screw turned 2 turns
Fuel pin turned along with the star thing in the pump
Smoke screw all the way in
Stater changed on torque converter with metal disk and bearing
Transmission after market clutches and shift kit
Old 04-20-2012, 08:55 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
i kept the box, and added 4" to turbo, and the k&n, it work good to the point you maintain the coolest possible air source, granted my mods are notvery extreme, i do a lot of offroad dirty driving, and want to keep most of the airbourne dust from the intake.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use paper filters, they filter the best. K&N's and similiar filters let fine dust through. Evidence used to be on my turbo wheel when i wiped it off.

I usually take the stock box, take a 3" Hole saw and drill holes in the top and the front of it, that way it gets air coming in from around the headlight and some air from under the hood.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Food for thought.....Aftermarket filter companies tell you their products flow more air........how do they do this?....one way is the simple fact the filter lets more stuff through!

Not a problem for your average street driver but if you operate in dusty conditions it can be a huge problem.... just food for thought
Old 04-20-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I would get a Donaldson BHAF, it's just a bigger filter and lets more air in. You can get the sleeves if you want as well.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Food for thought.....Aftermarket filter companies tell you their products flow more air........how do they do this?....one way is the simple fact the filter lets more stuff through!

Not a problem for your average street driver but if you operate in dusty conditions it can be a huge problem.... just food for thought
I was looking into ASA modifieds air intake and they claim that the Afe filter that comes with it is better but I think I will just go with their elbow which obviously flows better than stock but leave the stock air box since I am in dusty conditions myself
Old 04-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
The Pro guard 7 layer by AFE is a good filter but most of the other filters out there do not filter as well as it does

Hard to beat the stock box until you get over 450 or 500 hp.....
Old 04-20-2012, 02:38 PM

Good info to know and I am prob not going to be hitting that anytime soon I'm too poor
Old 04-20-2012, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Hard to beat the stock box until you get over 450 or 500 hp.....
I agree with this. In my experience it was pointless to do an intake. I swaped from an ASA modifieds back to a stock and EGT's were maybe 50* higher and boost was down by 3 psi.

The greatest benefit (or annoyance, depending on your point of view) is the new sounds that are unleashed when you replace the stock intake.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:15 PM

I'm broke also! But when I do get money it goes straight to my truck right now I'm workin on something with the intake and a fuel pin nothing extreme. When of these days it will be alot more than stock while still looking original(: I'm only 18 I got lots of time! But thank y'all for all the good info.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:37 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
i do alot of dirt, 3000 miles a year, my intake pipes are clean, the k&n oil works if you use it , the spool up with lower restriction comes quicker, the filter does what it says if you service it correctly, you cant use compressed air to speed up drying the element after cleaning, youll destroy the gauze, i service mine once a year, before my summer road trip, and love the product.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Almost Original
I'm broke also! But when I do get money it goes straight to my truck right now I'm workin on something with the intake and a fuel pin nothing extreme. When of these days it will be alot more than stock while still looking original(: I'm only 18 I got lots of time! But thank y'all for all the good info.
Sounds exactly like me man! And head long time no post
Good to have ya back and okay so sorta
Worth it sorta not?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:55 AM

I have the K&N in mine it's 19 years old now and working fine. Like was mentioned earlier service it properly and it will filter just fine.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:16 AM

Yeah I think i might just cut a hole in the top of my box and buy a filter. Not sure the filter that I'll get but, I won't do a complete intak till I get ALOT more mods! But sorry for not getting on much, but it's probably worth atleast an aftermarket market filter.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:04 AM

Received 420 Likes on 321 Posts
I did the BHAF and made my own mount patterned after the Big Smokey mount. It made a big difference and I'm nowhere near 450hp. I've had issues with the K&N types in the past and won't use them anymore.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake?