1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Cleaning /testing injectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 05:05 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cleaning /testing injectors

Is there a way to properly clean/test the injectors your self?
I have been quoted over $300 by the local injection shop to pull, clean and pop test the injectors and that sounds really high when I read on here about guys getting them done for $15 or so apeice...

not having any real issues with them, just that their condition is unknown at 165K miles and I am trying to improve power/mileage..
Old 04-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If you're real handy you can build a pop tester out of a grease gun and a high pressure hydraulic gauge.

How much do they want if you pull 'em yourself? The labor on injector R&R is what's driving their price up I bet.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:55 AM

Dave, that was if I pulled them...
the quote was for cleaning, testing and adjusting...

not knowledgable enough to know what there is to adjust on an injector???
Old 04-19-2008, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Find another shop first. For that money you could send them off and still get it done for way less than half.

There are other DIY garage built pop testers out there, search the VW and Mercedes diesel sites. The grease gun/high pressure hose is one design and another uses a small bottle jack. Other than finding out what pressure they are popping, I'm not sure how realistic it is to do any adjusting.

You could take them out, look at them and clean them up if needed, easy enough to do that and see if any obvious build-up etc is on them. Use diesel fuel and a stiff plastic brush, do not use anything metal, you don't want to scratch them at all, it could affect the spray pattern etc.

Has anyone had any luck buying injector components? Compression spring, shims etc?
Old 04-19-2008, 04:47 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
A DIY pop tester will let you check the pop pressure and also see if the injectors are drooling. You can also observe the spray pattern, obviously if you have one hole not spraying, or squirting out to one side then you know there's a bunch of gunk inside the tip.

You should be able to get injector parts from any pump shop that will sell you a 3200 RPM spring. It's not really a job I'd bother with on a good running truck, if the truck isn't white smoking and it idles smooth then the injectors aren't in too bad of a condition.

Chris, does the truck have a particular problem you are chasing, or are you just curious about the condition of the injectors?
Old 04-19-2008, 06:18 AM

No Dave, no particular problem, just still not having the power and mileage that my previous trucks have had,so i am basically "troubleshooting", looking at each area that might be the issue...