1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Carrier bearing questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carrier bearing questions

2 questions: I'm replacing the carrier beraring on my 93 W350. The replacement I got looks really cheap...not even a sealed bearing. Where can I get a top grade bearing? Also, any tips for proper positioning[angle measurements]? Thanks, Flint
Old 01-06-2006, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Napa has some best quality parts around, not cheapest though. Not sure what you mean by alighnment, it goes back way it came out.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:17 PM
DJ

Are you replacing the carrier bearings in the differential? Or maybe you mean the center support bearing for the driveshaft?
Old 01-06-2006, 09:20 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ
Are you replacing the carrier bearings in the differential? Or maybe you mean the center support bearing for the driveshaft?
Yeah, that's what I was wondering as the carrier bearings are open in design.

If you're talking about the rear-end (hog's head), check this out. http://www.differentials.com/install.html (Shim Design)

It's the correct way to do it.

Though, I must confess, my replacement bearing were too tight to allow me to remove them to put in/take out shims. I ended up getting a second set of matching bearings, and loosened them up a bit as it were with a small spool sander. Just enough to allow me relatively easy removal, yet tight enough for an accurate measurement. Once I arrived at the correct shim pack, I made the final install with the un-altered, matching bearings. The Prussian blue stuff is the shizzle.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:37 PM

carrier bearing

I am talking about the shaft support bearing. I read somewhere that if you don't have the correct angle, you can experience start up "shudder".
Old 01-06-2006, 11:56 PM

I just did my carrier about a month ago. You can sand or grind your old bearings you take off to use as a mock up for the shims thats if u can get them off without cutting. Since my uncle owns a dealership i went and borrowed a tool which was a mock up bearing it worked awesome made it 10 times easier to set the shims up. Also after the shims are setup right i hear your suppose to put in an extra .010 shim just on on side i believe, thats what i was told and did. You will also need a dial indicator to get the shims setup accurately. Pm me if you need any help.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:13 AM

I had to mess with my shaft support bearing awhile ago. After I put on add-a-leaves, I had shutter in the driveline. I just made some metal blocks to put under the mount. I kept building it up until the shutter was gone. Probably not the official way to do it, but it worked for me.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:37 PM

shims

Are there any base measurements you can start with before adding shims? Glad to know the "trial and error" method has worked. Thanks for the tips. Underpsi...I'll contact you if I have questions. Flint
Old 01-07-2006, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by flintgreasewood
Are there any base measurements you can start with before adding shims? Glad to know the "trial and error" method has worked. Thanks for the tips. Underpsi...I'll contact you if I have questions. Flint
yes there are measurements to start with. First you center the carrier where it has a good backlash with the pinion and then you take your dial indicator and pry it to one side and then the other and if say its .025 one way and .070 the other you add .025 of shims to that side and .070 to the other, its really quite simple but can take a fair bit of time. The carrier isn't the lightest and it can be a bit of hard work lifting that thing in and out all the time.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:02 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
I believe he is talking about the driveshaft carrier and is getting info for the ring gear carrier.

Just put the new driveshaft carrier in like the old one came out.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
I believe he is talking about the driveshaft carrier and is getting info for the ring gear carrier.

Just put the new driveshaft carrier in like the old one came out.
I just read the first post again and im pretty sure your right . Replacing the carrier bearing is very easy just take off the drive shaft from the rear end yoke and pull it out of the sleeve which is by the carrier bearing and take the two bolts off the cariier and then put the new one one