1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Can't get the exhaust housing off

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't get the exhaust housing off

I did what has been recomeneded. i have the whole turbo out but cant get the 2 bolts off holding the houings together. I am pounding on the exhaust side and can't get anything to move. Will it move so that i can remove the last 2 bolts? do i just keep beating on it until it moves? thanks for the help.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:19 PM

You are gonna have to loosen off the two bolts that are still holding housing on. Get them to back out a bit and then tap the housing off until the bolts touch again. The bolts will bottom out on the center before they are out.

You have to make sure when you get the exhaust housing to start to move to go evenly. If it comes off crooked then you have a chance of the housing hitting the exhaust wheel and worse case bending the shaft.

HTH
Glenn
Old 09-02-2008, 06:27 PM

what do you use to remove bolts? I can't make anything work. Thanks again
Old 09-02-2008, 06:33 PM

All is used was an open end wrench.

I sprayed the bolts and housing with penetrating fluid a couple of hours before and didn't have a problem. But with the age of our trucks things can get to be a little bit of fun. If the wrench you are using keeps spreading then you might have to buy a better quality wrench from Snap On or Mac.

HTH
Glenn
Old 09-02-2008, 06:41 PM

can i cut the bolt heads off and get some new bolts? I have some bolts that are the same size just a little longer, maybe some washers to get it snug for now?
Old 09-02-2008, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by truckdweld
can i cut the bolt heads off and get some new bolts? I have some bolts that are the same size just a little longer, maybe some washers to get it snug for now?
You could do that, but anytime you start applying heat to the turbo with a torch you stand a chance of cooking the seals. I don't think that you want to use longer bolts, even with washers. There is not much back space as it is. Then there is the problem of how deep the bolts go into the housing, if they are bottoming out when you tighten it up.

Go and spray your bolts with magic monkey pee and walk away for a while.

The best thing for you to do, since I think you are a little stressed out from fighting with this, is to take a break from working on it. Go crack a cold one and don't think about it tonight.

HTH
Glenn
Old 09-02-2008, 06:58 PM

i agrre with taking a break but i was thining about a cut off wheel. take my time and keep it cool. i could use the 2 good bolts that i have for the small slots and the other 2 for the place i can easly reach. I need to get it together tonight if possible that is why am trying figure out a differant way of doing it. thanks for the help RuralCruiser007
Old 09-02-2008, 07:14 PM

That should work. Just take your time and relax.

Glenn
Old 09-02-2008, 07:59 PM

so that worked great. Once the bolts were cut i think all of the pounding i had done before work it loose and it came off in 2 minutes. Now i found something interesting. there was a piece of metal that fell out and the bell housing(?) behind the fins is loose. Is this supposed to be loose? i am going to start a new thread with pics if i can. thanks again for the help.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:06 PM
alwaysonDTR

yes its normal to be loose tightens up when you bolt the new housing on, get all the soot out from behind it you can,

and to get rusted housings off in the future use a torch to heat the bolts only untill there red and let cool breaks the rust lose and you can also heat the housing only (not the center section) breaks the rust lose, but do not heat the center section.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:21 PM

thanks for answering my ? You guys on this board are great. i posted a new thread with pics of the broken part that i found and another issue that i have. once i got the bolts free it came off a lot easier than i was expecting.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:13 AM

Now I'm in the same spot.

Housing won't come off. All four bolts are loose, two are all the way out, and the two that are wedged on there under the housing are out just a few turns.

How hard should I beat on the exhaust side ?

Don't want to break anything...

EDIT: Do you unscrew the nut on the end of the turbine ?
Old 03-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
What you want to do is lay the turbo on a sheet of plywood on a concrete floor or asphalt driveway and BEAT on the turbine housing with a big hammer. Beat on it as hard as you want. Don't try to drive it off the center section, you will only crack the center section. All you are trying to do is vibrate it loose, so just beat on the sides of it. And I mean BEAT on it. Every couple of whacks, look closely to see if the housing has moved. Once it moves, switch to a smaller hammer and gently tap the housing off while twirling the turbo to make sure you aren't binding.

You can't loosen the nut on the turbine, it is the end of the shaft.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
What you want to do is lay the turbo on a sheet of plywood on a concrete floor or asphalt driveway and BEAT on the turbine housing with a big hammer. Beat on it as hard as you want. Don't try to drive it off the center section, you will only crack the center section. All you are trying to do is vibrate it loose, so just beat on the sides of it. And I mean BEAT on it. Every couple of whacks, look closely to see if the housing has moved. Once it moves, switch to a smaller hammer and gently tap the housing off while twirling the turbo to make sure you aren't binding.

You can't loosen the nut on the turbine, it is the end of the shaft.
Unfortunately, the thing is ruint now. Shouldn't have messed with it to begin with.

thanks though.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:49 PM

I didn't have to beat my exhaust housing what so ever, what I did was drive the truck around until it was warmed up and then shut it off and sprayed the bolts and center area with CorrosionX. That stuff is worth its weight in gold, PB blaster can't even compare.

Quick Reply: Can't get the exhaust housing off