1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

can't figure this low power issue out

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredodge
talking about how you isolated it, I just got some 3/8 all thread so going to set it up now. worst part is I already cut a notch out of my valence but it's hidden anyways. might fill it in later but I'll have to repaint it
FYI- I got those tapered rubber isolator pieces from my local Ace hardware, in their fastener bins. It's next to the bins where they keep the same tapered pieces made out of cork.

It a dense material, soft enough to absorb vibration, but stout enough that you can't compress it with your fingers. I believe I used the 1" to 5/8" tapered ones. They're about 1 1/4" tall. Had to drill it out with a 1/2" step bit.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
it is a totally different machine! low boost (15psi) but still! before I couldn't even get up to 75 and getting to 70 took forever, I touch the gas peddle now and I'm at 60! I'm guessing I have boost leaks, no smoke but makes sense, I made my boost piping out of chopped up exhaust piping.

also, my turbo makes noise now! crazy how big of a difference getting fuel makes
Old 11-14-2017, 08:13 PM

So, BRD, did you win the battle with the VE pump? That's all good? Based on your last post, is everything back to normal, and better by the sounds of it? What about that fuel leak? All gone?

You may want to check to see if your intercooler is leaking, also.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:22 PM

Head off to Home Depot and gather the parts to make one of these. I believe 15 psi into the turbo inlet is all you'll need, and with a leak detection solution you should find all your leaks from turbo outlet all the way to your intake manifold inlet pipe.

Personally, on the intercooler if you have your concerns about it, I would remove it and isolate it. Two methods, either fab up a leak tester with pressure gage for the intercooler inlet, and cap off the outlet. Or, you could take it to a radiator shop and have them check it for leaks.
Attached Thumbnails can't figure this low power issue out-img_0169.jpg  
Old 11-14-2017, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by bigragu
Head off to Home Depot and gather the parts to make one of these. I believe 15 psi into the turbo inlet is all you'll need, and with a leak detection solution you should find all your leaks from turbo outlet all the way to your intake manifold inlet pipe.

Personally, on the intercooler if you have your concerns about it, I would remove it and isolate it. Two methods, either fab up a leak tester with pressure gage for the intercooler inlet, and cap off the outlet. Or, you could take it to a radiator shop and have them check it for leaks.
I've got a boost leak tester similar to that. I tested the ic before installing, held 30 psi no issue. I think my leaks are probably my ghetto fabbed pipes lol. as for the ip, the fuel pin magically stopped leaking when I turned it lol, so just waiting for my longer slide pin to come in to fix that, still hasn't shipped yet guess I'll call tomorrow, been a week since I ordered it.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:01 PM

Is that longer slide pin basically for folks running an aggressive ramp on that AFC power pin?
Old 11-14-2017, 10:04 PM

You should have beads turned on each end of your intercooler pipes, about 3/4" in from the ends. That'll help with any boost leaks. Also, since its over 20 years old, replace the intake manifold plate gasket. Very inexpensive gasket, and takes about an hour to do.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:31 PM

Is that longer slide pin basically for folks running an aggressive ramp on that AFC power pin?
yeah having a steep ramp will push the stock length pin out to far, passing the o ring and flooding the chamber with diesel and also making the fuel "cone" stick in there because the slide pin will jam it. that's what's happening to me. I'll replace that gasket tomorrow, I've been thinking about that for a while now. I also have a leak at my transmission tailshaft seal and my rear end driveshaft seal I'll be replacing both of those tomorrow as well, my driveshaft is leaking from both ends!

as for rolling a bead, I SHOULD do that but I plan to have a good set made in a couple of weeks. mine are definitely no where near professional level..
Old 11-14-2017, 11:14 PM

If you can swing the extra cost for high torque boot clamps, with the tension springs on them, you won't have any boost leaks with those for sure.
Intakehoses.com, dieselperformanceparts.com they carry those types of clamps.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:38 AM

anyone ever order anything from the hungry diesel? I'm having a hard time getting the slide pin I bought from their website.
I ordered it on the 9th and hasn't shipped yet I've called a few times and no answer. am I out of luck?
Old 11-20-2017, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by bigredodge
anyone ever order anything from the hungry diesel? I'm having a hard time getting the slide pin I bought from their website.
I ordered it on the 9th and hasn't shipped yet I've called a few times and no answer. am I out of luck?
He's (Eric) probably out hunting. Normally he ships just like everyone else- on time. But, it is the hunting season, and he is an avid hunter. Just a guess.

I believe puredieselpower also carries that slide pin.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:26 AM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
He's (Eric) probably out hunting. Normally he ships just like everyone else- on time. But, it is the hunting season, and he is an avid hunter. Just a guess.

I believe puredieselpower also carries that slide pin.
Eric has been active on another forum a few days ago.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:09 PM

ok it's been a month since I ordered the slide pin gonna cancel the payment and make one out of drill bit while I try to find out where to order it. gotta say I'm pretty upset about that
Old 12-05-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
That sucks. Lack of communication from a seller is very annoying.

I ordered from him once before and everything went as expected.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:21 PM

ok not only is my fuel pin leaking but now the locking bolt on the side of the pump is leaking. plus the manual shut off lever.

so here's my question(s) now
1. did I somehow mess up installing these o rings causing it to leak? (remember my fuel pump never leaked before this reseal)
2. if I did mess up, what did I mess up? how could installing new o rings cause it to leak? I used the recommended stp lubricant while installing them and didn't cut or break any of them.
3. should I attempt another reseal? if not I have to wait until summer time to get a new pump.

thanks

Quick Reply: can't figure this low power issue out