1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

can't figure this low power issue out

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 03:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Make sure you get the Genuine Bosch kit. There are many aftermarket kits for less money but they are inferior IMHO. I tried one when I did a re-seal and it was not successful. The truck ran well but it leaked from the front and the back of the pump. the o-rings are critical in sealing stuff. if one is slightly undersized or the wrong material it will leak.

Edwin
you happen to have bosch part number? can't find a real bosch kit anywhere the one in my cart is a cheap knock off for 12 bucks lol definitely willing to spend the money on good seals
Old 10-13-2017, 04:06 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
DGK-121. I've also seen DGK-121-R but I don't know what the R means.

I just ordered this one. VE INJECTION PUMP GASKET AND SEAL KIT (OEM KIT) FITS DODGE CUMMINS 5.9 DIESEL | eBay

Shows he has 2 left so hurry.

Edwin
Old 10-13-2017, 04:09 PM

The only other place you could get one is an injection shop that rebuilds pumps. But I looked around a bit in OC where you'd expect to find a lot of shops and one said he'd have to order it and another didn't return my call. The local Cummins dealer in Irvine doesn't stock them. They only deal in whole pumps.

Edwin
Old 10-13-2017, 04:21 PM

The only other place you could get one is an injection shop that rebuilds pumps. But I looked around a bit in OC where you'd expect to find a lot of shops and one said he'd have to order it and another didn't return my call. The local Cummins dealer in Irvine doesn't stock them. They only deal in whole pumps.

Edwin
I ordered that and the CD dvd guide. what kind of special tools am I gonna have to buy? I'm thinking I can get it done over thanksgiving break, will 4 days be enough time for someone who doesn't really know what he's doing?lol
Old 10-13-2017, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by bigredodge
I ordered that and the CD dvd guide. what kind of special tools am I gonna have to buy? I'm thinking I can get it done over thanksgiving break, will 4 days be enough time for someone who doesn't really know what he's doing?lol
The only special tool you need is to take the triangle headed bolt/pins out of the sides of the pump. I have one that's made out of a nut. I've heard of one guy who used a dremel tool on a socket to make one.

Other than that you need the metric "S" wrenches to get at the nuts that hold the pump in the engine, a steering wheel puller to pop the timing gear off the shaft and some say a special socket to get at the injection lines on the end of the pump but I was able to get them without it.

There is a film that shows pulling and reinstalling the pump here:
There should be a mark on the pump that matches a mark on the timing case so you can get the timing right without the dial gauge.

Here's a pic of the tool for the triangle nuts:

Just be careful and don't lose any parts. Work in a clean area and go slow and you'll be OK.

Others on this list will be helpful as well who've done the job more times than I.

Edwin
Old 10-13-2017, 04:42 PM

The only special tool you need is to take the triangle headed bolt/pins out of the sides of the pump. I have one that's made out of a nut. I've heard of one guy who used a dremel tool on a socket to make one.

Other than that you need the metric "S" wrenches to get at the nuts that hold the pump in the engine, a steering wheel puller to pop the timing gear off the shaft and some say a special socket to get at the injection lines on the end of the pump but I was able to get them without it.

There is a film that shows pulling and reinstalling the pump here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mquLrWG4ago There should be a mark on the pump that matches a mark on the timing case so you can get the timing right without the dial gauge.

Here's a pic of the tool for the triangle nuts:

Just be careful and don't lose any parts. Work in a clean area and go slow and you'll be OK.

Others on this list will be helpful as well who've done the job more times than I.

Edwin
thanks for all the help! I'll be sure to post next month when I'm ready to blow up haha
Old 10-13-2017, 08:47 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Did someone ask for special tools? Found this on eBay, came from Europe, cost about $40 including shipping. Includes all the specialty sockets for all Bosch VE type pumps. Just do an eBay search for Bosch VE Tools and it'll come up.

Also, search on eBay for angelofishes. He sells true Bosch DGK 121 seal kits, along with aftermarket kits. I believe the aftermarket kits include the triangular pump to timing case gasket, while the authentic Bosch ones do not.

I ended up buying the true Bosch kit, then sourced a couple gaskets from puredieselpower.com.

While your at it, reseal your vacuum pump, if you haven't already. PDP sells the seals for the vac pump as a whole, including the mount gasket. If you've never done one before, genosgarage carries the kit from Goulds, which also has all seals and mount gasket, pvc tools to tap in the seals, and a DVD showing how to do it step by step. I'm sure YouTube has vids showing the reseal process also.

Resealing that vac pump is so easy, I always try and encourage folks to do so anytime their getting into that area of the engine. The vac pump is a known leak point.
Attached Thumbnails can't figure this low power issue out-img_0770.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by bigragu:
mknittle (10-21-2017), thrashingcows (10-14-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 08:52 PM

Edwin, I just clicked on the link after I posted about angelofishes. You beat me in posting, in a bad way, lol. Good find! Thanks for posting up the link!
Old 10-13-2017, 09:07 PM

I bought a spare VE not too long ago. It's got many miles on it, and the woodruff key is basically plastered on tight to the shaft. I cannot even turn the shaft, and it came w/o the shaft lock bolt and tab key. Just recently I bought the tab key and lock bolt. It was a great find at $215.

My goals are to take that thing apart and back together at least 3 times, so I can master the disassembly and reassembly process. Take all kinds of pics. If all internals check out, on the fourth attempt I'm going to reseal it, along with replace any faulty parts. I like to have spares. In time, I'm going to have Giles rebuild my VE on my truck now, and do his magic. With that spare, I can still keep driving the truck till the Giles one comes in.

BigredDodge, I too, bought that VE manual and CD combo. There's a forum, where the guy shows reassembly of the pump in great detail, along with step by step pics. He did not whatsoever assume you knew how to do a certain step, and not include explanations and pics like some folks do. He truly did a fantastic job. The one cat on DTR that showed his step by step reassembly process also did a fantastic job, but all the pics are gone, and for some reason he never finished the process. I know he started making comments if he should keep going, cause no one was replying back to his posts.

Anyway, just do a search on google for Bosch VE rebuild, and that one I was mentioning will pop up. I printed out in color all 101 pages of his reassembly process. I think his job, along with that VE manual you bought, will assist you (and me, lol) big time.

TCows on here has done his I believe a couple of times, and one of the things I totally agree on that he emphasizes, is to take a lot of pics and write down notes along the way, to make sure you're assembling everything back to spec. Good luck!

Oh, those VE tools? Those showed up to my door in a week.
The following 2 users liked this post by bigragu:
edwinsmith (10-14-2017), thrashingcows (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 03:10 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
I too have a spare IP for both my motors....Non-IC and IC pumps. I picked each one up off E-bay as a core for under $100 each! Those late night searches sometimes pay off....

Yes take lots of pics, and measure everything and anything that looks like it might have adjustment. I even take pics of the measurements written on paper and held next to the part in question. All those pics have helped out so many times when something just didn't look right, or I was tired and couldn't recall if something had to be orientated a certain way.

Good luck...VE IP's are intimidating when your diving in for the first time, but once you've done a couple IP's they are actually quite elegant in their simplicity.
The following 3 users liked this post by thrashingcows:
edwinsmith (10-14-2017), mknittle (10-21-2017), nonrev (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 05:08 PM

$100 each....showoff!!! LMAO

Thought I had the sweet deal. From Canada, too!
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (10-21-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by bigragu
$100 each....showoff!!! LMAO

Thought I had the sweet deal. From Canada, too!
Yeah! When I bought my rebuilt pump it had a $500 core charge!
Old 10-15-2017, 02:02 PM

Yeah! When I bought my rebuilt pump it had a $500 core charge!
so that vacuum pump will leak power steering fluid? mine doesn't leak, it POURS!!! but now I know haha so that will be getting worked over as well and a nice paint job. you guys are great help, I didn't even notice my bosch seal kit was missing the most important gasket!
so now on my order list;
triangle bolt socket
main ip gasket
steering wheel puller
vac pump seals and gasket
think that's it, as for sealing the vac pump I bet I can make it without a DVD on that one, those things are simple.
thanks a lot guys, I'll be getting my dvd set in on Thursday and I'll be watching it multiple times until my thanksgiving break
Old 10-15-2017, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by bigredodge
so that vacuum pump will leak power steering fluid? mine doesn't leak, it POURS!!! but now I know haha so that will be getting worked over as well and a nice paint job. you guys are great help, I didn't even notice my bosch seal kit was missing the most important gasket!
so now on my order list;
triangle bolt socket
main ip gasket
steering wheel puller
vac pump seals and gasket
think that's it, as for sealing the vac pump I bet I can make it without a DVD on that one, those things are simple.
thanks a lot guys, I'll be getting my dvd set in on Thursday and I'll be watching it multiple times until my thanksgiving break
Since I just bought one, the Triangle Bolt gasket is $4.56 from Cummins. It's PN 3939355.

Edwin
Old 10-20-2017, 10:52 PM

alright everything is in! triangle main gasket, vacuum pump seal kit (came with instructions) and the bosch reseal kit for my injection pump.

i just finished watching the dvd i bought from the fleabay, the guy really knows what hes doing and now i feel like i do as well! much more confident after watching that video.

my only question now is.... at the end of the video he showed a 5 minute how to on injector rebuilding. is it necessary that i rebuild my injectors after this?

edit: ok two questions. the guy in the video did not use any lubricant, aside from diesel, on the o-rings but pretty sure someone in this thread or another similar one that using STP oil is pretty much a necessity. so just to clarify, do i need to lubricate the o-rings and gaskets/seals with STP oil?

thanks for the help

Quick Reply: can't figure this low power issue out