1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Broken Parking Brake pedel

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Broken Parking Brake pedel

Well I went on vacation for a week and let my dad borrow my truck. I came back and went to go drive it and the brake was on. Ok thats fine. I pulled the release handle and nothing happened. Pulled again nothing. Got down and was looking at it and it was hard to see without a flashlight but it felt as though the cable broke off of the pedal assembly. I found that if I pulled the release handle I could pull the brake up manually but it would just fall back down. Does anyone know how I fix this cause obviously the brake doesn't engage now.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Look underneath and make sure there isn't a broken cable under there.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is common for the emergency brake cable to freeze up and stick or break if you insist on trying to get it to engage.
Best bet is to replace it. Dealing with limited slip rear ends is a bear so I take mine to a brake shop.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mattster
Well I went on vacation for a week and let my dad borrow my truck. I came back and went to go drive it and the brake was on. Ok thats fine. I pulled the release handle and nothing happened. Pulled again nothing. Got down and was looking at it and it was hard to see without a flashlight but it felt as though the cable broke off of the pedal assembly. I found that if I pulled the release handle I could pull the brake up manually but it would just fall back down. Does anyone know how I fix this cause obviously the brake doesn't engage now.
Mine is broken like that too. Its not broken but the cable has a **** at the end of it that slides and locks in place on the pedal. Mine loves to slide out and come off. It wouldn't surprise me if thats your problem.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:28 PM
The 'Ford does not own Cummins' enforcer.

not to steal the thread but i would love to have an e brake on my truck but the ebrake pedal is frozen.....how can i fix it?
Old 11-17-2007, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by SmokemS
not to steal the thread but i would love to have an e brake on my truck but the ebrake pedal is frozen.....how can i fix it?

What part is frozen ??

Pedal assembly or rear cables ??
Old 11-18-2007, 03:47 PM

well i can't move the pedal at all she is frozen to the dash
Old 11-18-2007, 03:59 PM

Go underneath your truck and pull on the front cable. Watch the rear cables and see if both rear cables move. If they dont move then they are seized. If they both move, get someone to push on the e-brake pedal and watch. If no movement then the front cable is seized. Worse case scenario is that they all are seized from not being used.

HTH
Glenn
Old 11-18-2007, 07:28 PM

Arrow Set The Brake Every Time

PARK BRAKES = USE 'EM USE 'EM USE "EM or LOSE 'EM.

Park-brakes will last almost indefinitely, provided they are applied each and every time the truck is parked.

AND, if the truck is un-attended for a week or more, hire the neighbor's kid to apply and release them a couple times a week.

People with manual transmissions are not quite so bad to neglect to set the park-brake.

But, those used to automatics seem to think putting the transmission in PARK is enough, so they never use the park-brake, soon it rusts itself into siezure, and the only fix is all new cables.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:44 PM

so is it easy to change the front cable?
Old 11-18-2007, 07:54 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mattster
Take a flashlight and look at the pedal mechanism under the dash. Make sure that the cable is still installed into the Clevis on the mechanism. A loose cable adjustment weill let the cable come loose and out of the clevis allowing the pedal to fall.