1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Brake caliper not releasing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Brake caliper not releasing?

I just did my brakes on the front. I did NOT replace the calipers since they weren't leaking. A few days later the left side seems to be dragging. It's smoking and fading and the truck pulls to the right. I took off the wheel and there is no leaking as far as I can tell and the hardware is all in place.

Is it possible the piston is jammed in the bore and not releasing? I had to compress it back into the bore in order to get the new pads in and the new rotors of course were thicker.

Edwin
Old 06-28-2017, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Absolutely can, another possibility is the slider pins/bushings are not letting it slide freely, but my best guess would be sticking.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Absolutely can, another possibility is the slider pins/bushings are not letting it slide freely, but my best guess would be sticking.
That's what I figured. I just laid out another $110.00 for new Calipers. Guess what I'm doing today.

Oh well, I should have replaced them when I did the pads and rotors on Saturday. Live and learn.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Another possibility is that the soft brake lines are bad and are collapsing the lumen of the line. This is relatively common with rubber brake lines...Mark
Old 06-28-2017, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368
Another possibility is that the soft brake lines are bad and are collapsing the lumen of the line. This is relatively common with rubber brake lines...Mark
Lumen? I hope you said that with a smile on your face pardner!

I got new rubber lines also. The next thing to go is the Master Cylinder. Then the booster and OH yeah! I forgot to replace the rubber line in the rear.

I got the caliper off and it wasn't even that tight. The pads don't even have the "new" wore off them yet. The rotor is fine. When I was at Hub Auto I parked right next to the door. The parts guy had to close the door because he didn't like the smell of burning. That's Cummins power for ya. A gasser wouldn't even be able to move!
Old 06-28-2017, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Lumen? I hope you said that with a smile on your face pardner!

I got new rubber lines also. The next thing to go is the Master Cylinder. Then the booster and OH yeah! I forgot to replace the rubber line in the rear.

I got the caliper off and it wasn't even that tight. The pads don't even have the "new" wore off them yet. The rotor is fine. When I was at Hub Auto I parked right next to the door. The parts guy had to close the door because he didn't like the smell of burning. That's Cummins power for ya. A gasser wouldn't even be able to move!
Sorry, you can take the boy out of the medic, but you can't take the medic out of the boy ...Mark
Old 06-28-2017, 05:00 PM

Sorry, you can take the boy out of the medic, but you can't take the medic out of the boy ...Mark
No need to apologize. I knew what you meant. I have google and wikipedia too!
Old 06-28-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Edwin, are those calipers for a pair at $110? Are they new, or new reman's?

Sorry- having trouble understanding the joke on the "Lumen" comment. Clue me in, please
Old 06-28-2017, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bigragu

Sorry- having trouble understanding the joke on the "Lumen" comment. Clue me in, please
Lumen is a medical term for the hole or space that runs through a tube, like arteries and veins. I didn't need google because I learned that in 1981 in paramedic training. I have a good memory for useless crap...Mark
The following users liked this post:
edwinsmith (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Lumen is a medical term for the hole or space that runs through a tube, like arteries and veins. I didn't need google because I learned that in 1981 in paramedic training. I have a good memory for useless crap...Mark
That's good knowledge, but how did it tie into the brake hoses? Feeling slow today, I guess, LOL
Old 06-28-2017, 06:08 PM

AFAIK they are new. $38.86 each plus the brake rubber lines $12.87 each plus the extortion money to do business in California AKA sales tax.

It only took a couple of hours to swap and bleed them. I did the pads and rotors on Saturday. Should have done the calipers but I was trying to make it to the end of the month when my pension check hits the bank.

Edwin
Old 06-28-2017, 06:45 PM
Administrator

That's good knowledge, but how did it tie into the brake hoses? Feeling slow today, I guess, LOL
Think of the brake line as an artery or vein...Mark edit: it is a correct word for that too, just fancy...here is what google says: https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=w...an+artery+mean
Old 06-28-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I just did my brakes on the front. I did NOT replace the calipers since they weren't leaking. A few days later the left side seems to be dragging. It's smoking and fading and the truck pulls to the right. I took off the wheel and there is no leaking as far as I can tell and the hardware is all in place.

Is it possible the piston is jammed in the bore and not releasing? I had to compress it back into the bore in order to get the new pads in and the new rotors of course were thicker.

Edwin
The exact same thing happened to me after I put on new pads. Had to go back home, jack it up, and replace them. One of them would not release and kept dragging . Problem solved after I replaced them
Old 06-28-2017, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by loudhornsrule
The exact same thing happened to me after I put on new pads. Had to go back home, jack it up, and replace them. One of them would not release and kept dragging . Problem solved after I replaced them
If I had to guess, I'd say that the dirt and rust on the exposed part of the piston as the pads wear down was dragging on the seal in the cylinder. If so then they would have started leaking soon anyway. This is the first time this has happened with disc brakes for me.

Edwin
Old 06-28-2017, 07:13 PM

Think of the brake line as an artery or vein...Mark edit: it is a correct word for that too, just fancy...here is what google says: https://www.google.com.mx/search?q=w...an+artery+mean
"By extension, the term lumen is also used to describe the inside space of a cellular component or structure, such as the endoplasmic reticulum."

Ain't medical terms fun! IOW I could have had a problem with my endoplasmic reticulum.

Quick Reply: Brake caliper not releasing?