1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Big Problems, I Think

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Problems, I Think

Today heard a strange noise from the old 92. Sounded like it was from the lower end, so I crawled under the truck and it sounded like more from the transmission area than the engine. Killed the truck and removed the inspection plate on the bellhousing and restarted. Yep, thats where it was comeing from, very loud now. So I killed the truck again, crawled back under and grabbed the flex plate. It will move back and forth about an eighth of an inch. Not good, right? Not front to back, but side to side, like the way the engine turns. I thinking either the flex plate is broke or the bolts are loose holding it to the crank. What do you'all think? Please help, Darl Absher III
Old 07-13-2004, 10:01 PM

That is a hard call , but there shouldnt be any play in rotation of the flexplate, I would go ahead and remove the converter bolts and check it again rotation and back and forth.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:19 PM

I've taken the complete center's out two flexplates ...It Riped the WHOLE **** CENTER OUT each time..Both flexplate's looked like Twin's I have now replaced it with a Laminated Flexplate from SunCoast..SO FAR no problem's..About 6000 miles and about 10 Serious Burnouts..BUT NOW DTT has comeout with a BILLET Flexplate..That's where my money will be spent NEXT TIME..MY ADICE is to change it NOW..On my last one it wiped out the rear Crankshaft Seal AND the Housing ..DO IT NOW is my advise
Old 07-13-2004, 10:38 PM

I'll bet!

I'll bet on it.
I've replaced mine too. There is a few posts about it here on DTR.
It's wiser to change it now. Don't try to baby it for a few more days like I did, because it won't last now very long and you WILL be stranded with a towing bill. The towing company dropped mine of the back of the wrecker and busted my fog lights and some suspension parts. They paid for it, but still damaged none the less.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:52 AM

Flex Plates. Yes, I have started my collection hanging on my Garage wall. 2 for now but hopefully I will not get any more. My last one riped out in 3 pieces. I didn't go with the dealers this time around as Mark Wilson from PDR mentioned that they may be getting metal fatigue from sitting on shelves for so long. He suggested getting a 2nd Gen Flex plate and use that. Looked the same but it did cost a little less $$ instead of the 1st gen from Dodge dealer. I would recommend changing it very soon though. Doesn't hurt to tighten your existing bolts up though until you get to replace it soon.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:54 PM

well guys, thanks for the discouraging advice. Just kidding, it won't be the first time I have pulled a tranny, just don't like to. Well it may be a few weeks before I tackle it, but thats what I have two trucks for, as long as the other one keeps running. Thanks again, Darl Absher III
Old 07-15-2004, 01:26 AM

BE Careful driving it ANYWHERE....WHEN it happens you'll get NO Warning! Just, "BAMMM" and then that LOUD Metal to Metal sound.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:32 PM

Dont drive it any more. either way you better pull it and get one of those good aftermarket heavy duty units. Good luck