1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

BFG Mud terrain, Toyo M55, longetivity and impact on fuel economy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BFG Mud terrain, Toyo M55, longetivity and impact on fuel economy?

Does anyone have any experience with either Toyo M55 or BFG Mud Terrain KM2 tires? How long do they last, how are they on the road, in the rain, and how is fuel mileage affected compared to something like a BFG All terrain? Thanks for any input.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The BFG KM2 is not too loud but you definely tell they're there and they run a little narrower than like every other mud terrain. my buddy has a set they seem to be wearing good and are very good in the mud as they should be, we had it bottomed out in some tractor ruts the tires grabbed just barely, the chevy G80 rear locked up and it was in 4x4 and it came right out, mainly because the tires were cleaning themselves out unlike most a/T's
Old 09-21-2010, 09:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I run the toyo M55 255/85r16 tires.

I like them alot for traction in all conditions. I use them as a winter/snow tire primarily. They do have fairly soft rubber if you plan to do a lot of summer city or hwy driving.

All in all I can't complain about them for what I use them for. They are a good tire with good traction, be it snow, mud, rain, etc. If you're intending to drive in warmer weather and on dry pavement all the time I would suggest a different tire. Then again, a mud terrain won't be any better, and infact would probably be worse. The M55 wears nicely but they do have a center section of the thread that is raised, which will reduce longevity.... I've noticed a lot of tire manufacturers do this... it aggitates me, and the M55 tire is no different in this regard.

EDIT:

Oh and they do have a quieter drone on the hwy but it's not bad at all. Much better than your typical MT by a long shot. Also, I noticed no mileage difference between them and my 235/85r16 toyo m606 tires (closer to an a/t tire with a more mild thread pattern). The only difference is the larger tire makes my odometer read differently. So accounting for that, I notice no mileage difference between the 2
Old 09-21-2010, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rick 12v CTD
I run the toyo M55 255/85r16 tires.

I like them alot for traction in all conditions. I use them as a winter/snow tire primarily. They do have fairly soft rubber if you plan to do a lot of summer city or hwy driving.

All in all I can't complain about them for what I use them for. They are a good tire with good traction, be it snow, mud, rain, etc. If you're intending to drive in warmer weather and on dry pavement all the time I would suggest a different tire. Then again, a mud terrain won't be any better, and infact would probably be worse. The M55 wears nicely but they do have a center section of the thread that is raised, which will reduce longevity.... I've noticed a lot of tire manufacturers do this... it aggitates me, and the M55 tire is no different in this regard.

EDIT:

Oh and they do have a quieter drone on the hwy but it's not bad at all. Much better than your typical MT by a long shot. Also, I noticed no mileage difference between them and my 235/85r16 toyo m606 tires (closer to an a/t tire with a more mild thread pattern). The only difference is the larger tire makes my odometer read differently. So accounting for that, I notice no mileage difference between the 2
Thanks for the feedback, how many miles do you figure your set of M55's is going to last? What size rim do you have them on? Thanks
Old 09-22-2010, 07:05 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
bfg muds lasted 16k miles on mine, noisy, stink in the rain....FORGET about ice. IMO go with the M55`s.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was getting close to 50k out of the old bfg mts. I am on my second set of MKIIs. I was at 36k when replaced but they were not replaced because of tread wear (close to 15k left in tread est.) . One of them developed a big bubble in the middle of the tire; I know the tire guy so we worked out a deal and got all four new tires.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:57 PM

check out treadwright.com for good prices
Old 09-22-2010, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea seriously I'd just buy treadwright tires they are amazing tires not even considered a retread to me since they're made the same way brand new tires are.

my buddy has a set of Treadwright guard dog MT's in 285/75/16 and they have michelin carcases so they say michelin LTX but have a mean looking m/t tread

www.treadwright.com

They're customer service is awesome too, if you have a problem with a tire they'll send you another one at no charge with the same carcas and everything.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:40 PM

It's hard to say how many miles I've put on my m55 tires. I've put 35k miles on the truck since I bought them but I swap between the m55 tires and other tires I use in the summer. If I had to guess I'm at around 20k miles on them, but I really can't say for sure that's a guess, and they have over 50% tread left. They would last longer if my kingpins weren't making my front tires wear real poorly.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:31 AM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
M55 tires are the only ones I will ever use on my '93. They wear like iron and I mainly drive on the hiway...

I run stock rims and 235/85R16.

It is common for these tires to have center wear because people run them with too high of PSI for the load! It is not because of the raised center tread but in reality if you are running the proper PSI for weight carried and the tread runs flat all the way through the cross section/contact patch they will wear evenly! This means I'm below 30 or so with an empty bed! Take the time to adjust your PSI properly for your weight you'll save your tires.

A good gauge on a stock truck with stock tires/wheels is to run the manufacturer recommended PSI on the front - gauge the contact patch and match the rear PSI to the equivalent contact match.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
M55 tires are the only ones I will ever use on my '93. They wear like iron and I mainly drive on the hiway...

It is common for these tires to have center wear because people run them with too high of PSI for the load! It is not because of the raised center tread but in reality if you are running the proper PSI for weight carried and the tread runs flat all the way through the cross section/contact patch they will wear evenly! This means I'm below 30 or so with an empty bed! Take the time to adjust your PSI properly for your weight you'll save your tires.

A good gauge on a stock truck with stock tires/wheels is to run the manufacturer recommended PSI on the front - gauge the contact patch and match the rear PSI to the equivalent contact match.
you're probably right because the centre of my fronts has worn much more evenly than my rear tires. IIRC my fronts are in the 60 or 70 psi range. The rears I run 10 psi less than the fronts. I run the rears high because every other week I put 4800lbs of water in the bed via 2x 275 gallon water tanks. So rather than always bleed air and then put air in, I just leave it at the same pressure.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by PapeCAT

Can you compare these to other tires as far as fuel mileage?
Old 09-26-2010, 03:50 PM

I have had both...unless you are doing strictly offroading/mudding go with the TOYO....I had 30,000+ on mine and drove about 30+ miles a day on an old FJ 62 I ran them on and they still had tread when I sold the thing. Plus they do awesome offroad...great all around tire.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Yea seriously I'd just buy treadwright tires they are amazing tires not even considered a retread to me since they're made the same way brand new tires are.

my buddy has a set of Treadwright guard dog MT's in 285/75/16 and they have michelin carcases so they say michelin LTX but have a mean looking m/t tread

www.treadwright.com

They're customer service is awesome too, if you have a problem with a tire they'll send you another one at no charge with the same carcas and everything.
Your right Brandon those tires look sweet. So cheap too thats even better. Saved under favorites for when i need tires.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:05 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
I drove my 1993 about 4K miles this summer. I get 20-21 MPG hiway calculated by hand using the GPS.

I can't compare other tires because they are all I've run on it since I've had it but between 20 and 21 seems about right for a stock '93 club cab 4x4!

Quick Reply: BFG Mud terrain, Toyo M55, longetivity and impact on fuel economy?