1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Bad News

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad News

Well the frame guy came and looked at my truck today and gave me the not so great news its going to cost over $1000 to straighten the frame and more to get the cab straight. The cab looks fine but the frame mounts on it were push back and up a little which has caused the door hinges to lift the door so its latch is about a half inch to high. I know the damage doesnt look bad, but if yall could crawl under the truck you'd see all the little tweaks and ripples and bends I may be parting it out or selling it whole, hopefully someone can use it or has the time and money to straighten and fix it.

jason
Old 03-23-2009, 11:40 PM

ad removed
Old 03-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Banned

Location: anderson commiefornia oh ya you can keep the "change"
ad removed
Old 03-23-2009, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by 65fury
Well the frame guy came and looked at my truck today and gave me the not so great news its going to cost over $1000 to straighten the frame and more to get the cab straight. The cab looks fine but the frame mounts on it were push back and up a little which has caused the door hinges to lift the door so its latch is about a half inch to high. I know the damage doesnt look bad, but if yall could crawl under the truck you'd see all the little tweaks and ripples and bends I may be parting it out or selling it whole, hopefully someone can use it or has the time and money to straighten and fix it.

jason
Man that sucks, sorry to hear that. Are you sure he is a respectable frame guy who isn't trying to screw you?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:02 AM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
A thousand bucks is a good price. When you pull a frame thats is moved in a bunch of places it takes a while to get it right. That is alot of money but sounds right.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Richie O
A thousand bucks is a good price. When you pull a frame thats is moved in a bunch of places it takes a while to get it right. That is alot of money but sounds right.
In his other thread, people were saying they got their frames straightened out for around $200? Maybe the damage wasn't as severe as it is in this case.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:11 AM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you look at his pics the front rubber suspension bumper is turned out so it does not even line up with the springs anymore. Its popped pretty good.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:35 AM
alwaysonDTR

what about just buying a donor gasser truck/frame?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Alwaysworking
what about just buying a donor gasser truck/frame?
Would he be able to put his body on a '91 or later frame? I think '91 is when they started using the bigger frames?
Old 03-24-2009, 02:38 AM

Hey its cool guys, if i cant fix it then yall deserve the parts off it, and yes i called a body shop guy that i have known for a while, and his brother is the best frame guy in my area, the only damage done on the truck is the front fender, even the radiator mount could easily be bent back. As for the cab its solid, im sure someone with some body knowledge could easily straighten the cab firewall. And this frame is actually the same size as a gasser frame! they didnt switch till 91 i believe. Unfortunately i cant show the extent of damage with pics but it dont look pretty.

jason
Old 03-24-2009, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by bigbaddiesel416
ya X2 iam in redding ca not to far away from you....

I Call the.....fuel pressure gauge, 4k tach the pump with the #4 fuel plate, 435 injectors
turbo

HUGE AFE filter
quick spool exhaust manifold

No that really sucks tho

Your sig says valet switch whats that
A valet switch is just an electronic solenoid that cuts air off from the AFC, that stops the pump from pushing any more fuel. hahahaha im keeping the drive train, i found another 1stgen to swap my motor and tranny into

jason
Old 03-24-2009, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by BurrisWill
what shape are you seats, driver door(cause you said it was the frame and not the door that was bent, right. If your partin out Ill give you a lot of business.
My interior is in good shape, but until i post stuff in the classifieds i should probably keep the selling side of this situation out of these threads. The admins dont like it
Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 AM

Keep it "all" until you finish the swap and ride the new one a while. It never fails that if you sell it you end up needing some little something. Good luck 65fury.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know all of your capabilities and situation there but if I were in your present situation here I would patiently start watching Craigslist.org for an 80's or 90's $800 3/4 or 1 ton gasser Dodge truck. Then I would simply swap all your stuff into that cab and chassis. That eliminates frame straightening and all the tweaking to get the cab back into shape. It's not always that easy to untwist a door frame to get the door to seal without air whistling while you are driving down the road. I would only consider parting it out as the very last resort option.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:12 AM

Well unfortunately i live in the city (born and raised in the country) so i dont have the space to hold on to it or wait and straighten the frame later My parents arent to keen on me "cluttering" the house. Cause we really dont got alot of vehicle space. I dont have the truck just yet, but was able to work out a deal with Don Tanklages truck Ill be back in another first gen in no time. so i'll be swapping drivetrain and what not. I wish i could keep the truck just in case, but cant

jason

Quick Reply: Bad News