1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Back to the Question at hand... D250 Front Springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Back to the Question at hand... D250 Front Springs

OK...How come nobody makes a leveling kit for these darn trucks?

I'm sick of sagging.. I know a set of MOOG springs will get my truck up, but I want to look at other options as well.

If 89-93 D250/350's use coil springs up front, why can't we use a spring spacer like those that are offered for the 94+ trucks?

I'm sure they won't be a big seller, so maybe companies don't offer them...but did they at one time?

Has anyone tried to install a 94+ spring spacer into a pre 93 truck?

What about the HELPER air bags? whats the skinny on those?

Will it work, will it not work...WHAT GIVES?

any help is ALWAYS appreciated.

Here's a pic showing how low my truck sits up front... Tires are 255/70/16's and nearly rub. And I want to throw my 285's up front.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:43 AM

Why would you want to put spacers on worn out sagging springs? Spacers with worn out springs is just going to raise the front end up higher for those sagging springs.

AS far as airbags, that requires remounting the shocks as they are currently mounted inside the springs. I've never seen a different setup, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I suspect it would be a custom (i.e. pain in the a$$) job.

Here's what mine looks like with the Moog springs. They've been in for over 6 months and they haven't sagged a bit. BTW, I have 500# of sand in the bed (all behind the axle) in that picture.

Carl
Old 06-22-2004, 03:49 AM

Well I KNOW i need new springs...but I hear that the MOOG 7226S's are quite the kidney busters... So I was considering a new set of stock springs for the softer ride, with the spacers to get the height if it's an option...

how does your truck ride? It looks like the right height...thats how I want mine to sit.

Also , what shocks do you run front & rear?

My truck is empty most of the time...and the rear suspension is rough as hell...front is worn...rear is brutal... is there a solution? I thought about adding some weight to the bed...but I don't want the extra weight, or smaller bed area.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:26 AM

I really hate to sound like a jerk, but why would you even think that an empty truck with about 8500lbs GVW would ride smoothly? You could go to a spring shop and get them to rework your spring pack, but that will cut down on what you can haul. In the real world, all is a compromise. If it rides nice empty, you ain't gonna haul much, and vice-versa. Up to you to decide your priorities.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:03 AM

I rode in "NeedMoPower"s 1st gen W250 4x4 the other day. It rode so much smoother than mine. Over the same cattle guards, my truck rattled and bumped over them, with both front & rear suspension, while his rolled over them smoothly. If you weren't looking, you'd never know they were cattle guards while riding in his truck.

The ride is FIRM, don't get me wrong. But it's so much nicer than my truck. I'm thinking the fact that my front springs are shot, and the front shocks needs replacing, that the harsh jolt from the rear suspension is multiplied, or atleast feels that way in the cab.

I'm not worried about the rear suspension...the front is my concern. If I can install stock replacement springs, and some coil spacers, along with some nice new shocks, I think I can have the taller front end height, along with a factory-smooth ride. But if this isn't an option, then the MOOG 7226S Springs it is, and I'll get some adjustable shocks to try and take some of the stiffness out.

I guess nobody has experimented with coil spring spacers on our trucks?

I'll just have to play around with the front end...
Old 06-24-2004, 10:19 AM

With the way that the top of the spring sets u in the upper control arm, I don't know that there would be a good way to install a apacer. There is a rubber damper that goes up in there stock. Be sure you get it from the dealer before you go to do your spring install. It does help.

As for ride, it is far from smooth but it is not as bad as any of the older 4x4s that I have riden in. My back end is much rougher than the front. That is why I frequently run with 500# in the back. On that rare occasion when I need to haul 1 1/2 yds of dirt, I can take them out and I have a really nice ride.

Carl
Old 06-24-2004, 02:23 PM

I'll look into it more when I get a chance to take the front end apart one of these days...

Where do you guys get your bushings and stuff for the front?
Old 06-25-2004, 09:29 PM

My truck is really mushy in front too but doesn't sit as low as yours. My back is really stiff because it also has overloads so it's kind of an odd ride. I haven't done anything with the suspension yet. I want to mount all of my toolboxes and get the weight on it that it will carry daily then go from there. Greatwhite? Are you from Morro Bay? A good place to get bushings etc. on the newer dodges is www.quad4x4.com ( I think) My neighbor ordered from there. Not sure how much first gen stuff they have. If that address doesn't work let me know and I'll find it for you... I think that's it.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:27 PM

Nope, Manitoba, Canada (mb,ca)
Old 06-30-2004, 01:31 AM

I put front springs on my 93 and the front gained about 2-3 inches of clearance above the tires. That first ride after the change feels like a new truck, and it cost less than $100
Old 06-30-2004, 04:25 AM

Hobie...what springs did you use (Brand/Part Number/Price?) and where did you buy them?

I spoke with a friend in Houston today who's got a '91.5 D-250, just like mine but auto, he runs the Moog 7226S Heavy Duty springs and said his truck rides nice, actually better than the worn stock springs...
Old 06-30-2004, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by TexasHardcore
Hobie...what springs did you use (Brand/Part Number/Price?) and where did you buy them?

I spoke with a friend in Houston today who's got a '91.5 D-250, just like mine but auto, he runs the Moog 7226S Heavy Duty springs and said his truck rides nice, actually better than the worn stock springs...
That's what I've been saying! Nothing like getting rid of that "bounce" that my stock springs had.

Carl
Old 06-30-2004, 02:57 PM

I got mine at Carquest. They were Moog, cant rember part number, just told the guy the info for my truck and he found them. If you need the part number I can try and find it.