1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Auto vs Straight

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 10:38 PM
BHD

Received 395 Likes on 265 Posts
I have both trannies in my two diesels. The last truck I bought was for the 5-speed, to transplant into the nicer of the two which only has about 45K on the CTD. Both trucks are stock, both with straight pipes, both with BHAF, and no other mods. Hands down the manual tranny donor truck with 325K on the CTD can out pull, out run, and get better fuel mileage than the fresher auto tranny truck. The motor in the auto truck was rebuilt by a very good Cummins shop close to me before I bought it, and is stronger than the manual but it can't get it to the ground. As for the 518 auto, I hate them, I managed to burn up two behind a 318 gasser. I don't own these trucks to run races with and I don't care how much exercise my left leg gets pushing a pedal, all I want is a truck that can get every last feasible drop of power to the ground as cheap as possible, that's why I like the gear box. Besides the Macks I drive at work don't run a slush box so why should my Dodge??? Just my two cents..........
Old 03-08-2006, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have heard that the getrag is a better tranny then the nv4500. I also heard that the only reason for the nv4500 was cost savings. Its seems that the only problem with the getrag is that people don't know how to set them up properly, they weren't even set up properly from factroy!
Old 03-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, my choice is noted in my sig...but the reason I'm posting in this thread is simple.....kinda like me ....

You guys should be congratulated on actually keeping a tranny thread on track and PLEASANT TO READ.!!!!!

pb....
Old 03-10-2006, 06:09 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Guys with automatics are wusses!
Old 03-10-2006, 06:34 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
My wife likes auto, I like standard, nuff said! When I am too old and feeble to shift I'll get a hover-round!
Old 03-10-2006, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Either that or they are faster than you
Old 03-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Touchè!
Old 03-10-2006, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by janb
yeah, I'll have to admit, the first time a appreciated my auto was after rolling in from a 12 hr mountain run in a cab forward (i.e. sloppy shifting) w/ 13spd. I was only 21 at the time, but really beat. (4am) The last thing I wanted to do was shift thru the 20+ stoplights on the way home. Admittedly I wish I had a manual trans in my CTD when I'm headed down a steep grade w/ 20,000# behind me w/ switchbacks (everyday / leaving home with dozer or excavator in tow) I do have manuals in all my 28 vw-diesels
I guess If I was burned out from shifting a big truck I might want an auto too. I have been fortunate. Rowing gears on a big truck doesn't have much in common with speed shifting a high perf Dodge pickup. That's a big buzz kill for me. I hadn't considered that and now I fell a tad insensitive!

I have been accused of driving my truck like it's a sports car, and I guess it's true. I enjoy ripping up and down through the gears jamming the beast into corners and blasting it using gears instead of the brakes. Yes, I should grow up and act my age, but the truck is as close to a Hot Rod as I'm going to get. I had those and couldn't control my use of the loud pedal, so am now limited by physics and an enemic wallet (and a wife with little sense of humor on the subject!)
Old 03-11-2006, 02:18 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Now, now, let us not throw stones. It is far better to work smart instead of hard. Besides, I never miss a shift with an automatic.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:09 PM

I guess I'm kind of a hypocrite anyway, because I will have a standard AND an auto when I get the Gear Vendors rebuilt!
Old 03-13-2006, 11:35 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
I'm going to install a getrag in my truck with 3.07's 25mpg, here we come! Anyone else try installing a getrag in place of their 727??
Old 03-14-2006, 10:09 AM

Stock stick vs. stock auto, 1st gen, the manual wins hands down. The getrag is a much more suitable tranny for utilizing the 1st gen Cummin's power. It has had some problems, but the auto is at least as weak when used to tow a heavy load often. The worst thing is the lack of a lockup TC and a high 1st gear, as well as a weak OD when used for towing.

I personally prefer a stick in anything that I can get it in. Most of my reasons have been stated by others, such as engine braking ability, less power loss, easier on brakes, you can shift when you want, etc. One other nice thing about a stick is that you can tow it to start it if the battery is dead, and I personally think that it keeps the driver more alert. I don't think that it is really a distraction when you are driving, once you are used to it.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:50 PM

i am giong with a NV4500 becuse of price. it was either that or a 47RH, or Allison. nad for the price that i paid the NV was a better deal considering im going for daily driver not power and MPG. i have 3.53 and going with 35" tires so i should get great fuel mileage. i would prefer a really well built auto but that was going to run me aroun 3000, and i hate computers. so NV was right choice for me, plus i cant put a gooseneck in the back of my truck so i dont really have to worry about pulling stuff. plus since UPS dicked up my first clutch i bought i ogt a 600 HP clutch for a basically stock truck, if i blow that up im selling the truck and im young and stupid and luv running through the gears so 5spd all the way. but i know its gonna get old quick. so maybe when i get old and wise maybe just maybe an auto is in the future but im not holding my breathe
Old 03-15-2006, 01:29 PM

As far as purchasing a used ctd. Would not a auto probably have a less worn engine with same mileage and use. The non-locking converter softening the load. Just thought I would thru a different angle on benefits of each. What say ye.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:36 PM

The only difference in wear might be on the thrust surface on the thrust main bearing, but that would be very negligible on a stock engine. If you had 500HP and were regularly doing full throttle clutch drops with a dual disc clutch for 10 years there might be a wear difference!

Quick Reply: Auto vs Straight