1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Armstrong Steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Armstrong Steering

My PS works occasionally, but never when I need it to help back my trailer for example. I replaced the O-ring to the Vac Pump but no change. Now whereas I appreciate the upper body developement I'd rather work on that when nobody's watching. Fluid's up, did the lock-to-lock "bleed" procedure, serpentine belt's good and no noise (well at least none from there! ). Any theories?
Old 03-26-2007, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are real lucky you might get by with draining the fluid, flushing the box, and installing an external filter in the return line. If not it's pump time and don't forget to add the filter in the return line. I replaced my pump twice because I thought I could get away without adding the filter. There are suspended metallic contaminates circulating in your fluid that will wreck your new pump when you install it.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:41 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Unhappy Something Else To Worry About/have Fun Fixing

Originally Posted by Trebor
install an external filter in the return line. I replaced my pump twice because I thought I could get away without adding the filter. There are suspended metallic contaminates circulating in your fluid that will wreck your new pump when you install it.

Please go into more detail on this return-line filter.

What kind of filter??

Big canister style or little bitty inline gas filter??

Pictures??

This is the first reference I have seen to a power-steering filter; just how many of you are using them??

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:00 AM

Use a Cardone 20-FLT2 power steering filter. It can be purchased online from www.rockauto.com if nothing is available at your local auto parts store. It's about 2 inches in diameter x 3 inches in length. It looks similar to an inline gasoline filter. Pictures and more info at: http://www.magnefine.com/
Cardone is the distributor for the US.

I will NEVER replace another power steering pump without adding this filter. Also note that the instruction sheet that comes with every Cardone pump recommends installing a filter in the return line.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:10 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Considering the age of our trucks, it's a good idea to go ahead and replace all the rubber lines while you're in there.

Most new/reman pumps included instruction strongly recommend such.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many thanks guys, I was kinda afraid of that. And nice link to the filter info. Guess you know where I'll be the next while ...
Old 03-27-2007, 11:48 PM

Unhappy No Part Found ???

Use a Cardone 20-FLT2 power steering filter. It can be purchased online from www.rockauto.com

Thanks for the filter information.

Are you positive on the brand/number??

Because, when I typed it in the parts search at RockAuto, I got "no part found".

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:52 AM

It won't sort using the dashes. Here is the link directly to it:
https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/prt,1,20FLT2
Old 03-28-2007, 05:09 PM

Smile Thank You, Kind Sir

It won't sort using the dashes. Here is the link directly to it:
https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/prt,1,20FLT2

How often does this filter need changing??

Also, how does one determine when the filter stops up??

I guess two of them will have to find a place in my budget.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:22 PM

This filter looks like it was designed as an automatic transmission filter and Cardone recommends using it as a heavy duty power steering filter.

From the Magnefine website:

When to change?
Recommended change is every 12 months. It is also advisable to renew your transmission fluid at this time. In fleet applications a test by the Ford motor company demonstrated fluid and filter could be 30,000 miles. (Each transmission runs differently and may require different fluid service intervals.) At change interval you simply evacuate (or drain) the fluid from the system, change the in-line filter and refill. OEMıs acknowledge it is not necessary to touch the pan up to 100,000 miles, unless for mechanical concerns. This also avoids troublesome pan related problems.

Will it clog?
Magnefine double filtration is so efficient it removes 99% of all wear metal contaminants. Itıs design holds the majority of contaminants on the uniquely positioned magnet. Even if the filter element becomes full, itıs safety bypass opens for full flow and the magnet still cleans metal from the system
Old 03-28-2007, 06:31 PM

Smile Thank You Again

I don't know about the whole thread; but, the information about the steering filter should be put in the "stickys" for everyones future referrence, along with a few pictures of one installed.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing the old hoses is a must...cheaper than a pump...could be collapsing or fraying off inside...Mark