1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Ac

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ac

for some reason my ac does not work. the blower works fine but the compressor does not kick on does anybody have a solution for me?
Old 06-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Probably low on refrigerant.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffman:

I think you need to switch to 134a. This is a very simple to do; red-tek is a product that is compatable with all freons. You just change the intake fitting neer the fire wall(blue cap) and fill while running . Check with gage (Can be ordered with product) They have a stop leak and freon ( about $20.00 ) URL www.redtek.com.

charliex25 charliex@eritter.net
Old 07-27-2006, 05:35 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Buffman88
for some reason my ac does not work. the blower works fine but the compressor does not kick on does anybody have a solution for me?
First I need to say this will work on the early systems NOT controlled by the computer. 89,90,91 for sure.

First be sure you have a refrigerant charge, either with a manifold gauge set or use a paper clip and jumper the 2 pins on the low pressure cutout switch mounted on the H block, if the compressor runs either there is LOW, NO, or a bad switch. Check the sight glass for liquid. If still no AC,

Check with a jumper wire from the battery to 1 pin on the compressor side socket and ground the other pin and make sure the clutch pulls in.

If that is OK then check back on the H block where it connects to the evaporator.
There is a cycling switch that is in a small box mounted to the side of the block. It has a probe that is inserted into the suction line that controls the compressor to keep the evaporator from icing up.
This control goes out and the compressor won't cycle.
If this is the problem here is what you need:

Temp Sensing Switch P.N.#56005783 (mounted on H block) $64.88

Mine went out while I was going on a road trip several summers ago, I bypassed mine with a relay to control the clutch a fuse and a few feet of wire in the parking lot of Home Depot took me about 20 minuets including making a harness.

As I said it controls the AC from icing up which it will do sometimes now but the downside is the AC gets so cold now I have to wear a jacket or turn up the heat.

Even in out 100+* were are having here in California it gets too cold in the cab and I have to turn it down.

Give it a check; it is above the blower motor on the passenger fender side.
Good luck.
Jim