1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

93 Magnum to Cummins Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 04:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, so I'm confused. In your thread you say:

The 3 pieces you need are the input shaft and reaction shaft, also known as the stator support or a pump assembly from a 47RH or a 47RE, it doesn't matter. I bought the input shaft assembly on ebay used for $30. It doesn't matter if it's gas or diesel as long as they are matched with stator support and I'll show you what you need to look for later.
and in reference to the pictures:

This picture shows the lockup input shaft on the left and non lockup on the right. The screwdriver is pointing to the area of concern where the input shaft fits into the stator support bushing. This is where your pump and input have to match. You can see the nonlockup is smooth all the way down from the seal rings and the lock up has a step, it's 1.25".
That seems pretty clear to me that it's lock up vs non lockup, not diesel vs gas. Am I missing something? Not trying to be a dick, just trying to make sure I'm understanding correctly.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:21 PM

Ok, so I'm confused. In your thread you say:

The 3 pieces you need are the input shaft and reaction shaft, also known as the stator support or a pump assembly from a 47RH or a 47RE, it doesn't matter. I bought the input shaft assembly on ebay used for $30. It doesn't matter if it's gas or diesel as long as they are matched with stator support and I'll show you what you need to look for later.
and in reference to the pictures:

This picture shows the lockup input shaft on the left and non lockup on the right. The screwdriver is pointing to the area of concern where the input shaft fits into the stator support bushing. This is where your pump and input have to match. You can see the nonlockup is smooth all the way down from the seal rings and the lock up has a step, it's 1.25".
That seems pretty clear to me that it's lock up vs non lockup, not diesel vs gas. Am I missing something? Not trying to be a dick, just trying to make sure I'm understanding correctly.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:21 PM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
I guess I could have explained it better. The 47RH/RE only came behind the diesel and V10. Either one is OK. As far as I know none of the 46RH/RE transmissions have the larger shaft and bushing.

Does that help clarify for you?
Old 05-29-2018, 10:03 PM

That makes more sense.

My 46RH parts trans (the gasser lockup one) seems to have the larger shaft. It's definitely larger than the 46RH diesel non-lockup one at least in the shoulder where it goes through the stator support. I've got a good used 47RH diesel one on order so we'll see if it's actually the same.

Been working through this project slowly along with 400 other things.

Cylinders looked good, still with original cross hatch and the rod bearings are all pretty close to new spec. Didn't pull any mains, I figured if the rods are good the mains are too, plus I didn't have a 23 mm socket.

Ground valves and seats and put 60# exhaust springs on. Head is back on but haven't got much further yet.

Got the trans torn down and started on reassembly but I discovered that the rebuild kit I have has the wrong servo pistons (late 47RE, different bore, and I didn't have the upgraded low/reverse and accumulator) so now I'm waiting on parts. Still needed the new input shaft and pump assembly to finish anyway.