1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

93 First Gen won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 03:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
93 First Gen won't start

I have a 1993 5.9 l dodge cummins..it worked fine for a long time and then one day I go to move a ladies fifth wheel 50 miles away and when I turn off it will not turn on again...changed the LP on hte spot but still nothing so tow it home and after changing feed fuel line and bleeding all injectors banjo connections and gutting the FSS right at the start finally get it to start...run around for about 10 minutes in the area and it died once but started right up, then died again and then as I scooted home ASAP would not idle at all and it died in my drive way and has not started again, cranks till the cows come home but no start....it seems to not get fuel again but with new line, screen in tank clean (took Off to check) and holding prime at LP not sure what it could be. HELP! It's my one and only driver..well was now no car at all!

SO in short I changed LP,
gutted FSS
Changed main feed line and got rid of plastic connectors put in ring clamos
bleed all system several times
Old 11-24-2017, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
When you are bleeding the system, is there a good strong flow of fuel at the injectors? Suction side air leaks can be hard to find, try a few pounds of air pressure into the fuel tank and see if a leak doesn't pop up...Mark
Old 11-24-2017, 05:33 PM

I tried that thinking maybe a leak or suction at the fuel tank so disconnected the fill line and as soon as I put air into the tank diesel started pouring out of the fill plastic line at the tank... got a new line to the LP so I wouldn't think it was leaking yet lol

In the filter there is some kind of o-ring people talk about but I did not see that when I installed the new filter where is that exactly?

I see you are in Phoenix too..well Salome for me
Old 11-24-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Federic
I tried that thinking maybe a leak or suction at the fuel tank so disconnected the fill line and as soon as I put air into the tank diesel started pouring out of the fill plastic line at the tank... got a new line to the LP so I wouldn't think it was leaking yet lol

In the filter there is some kind of o-ring people talk about but I did not see that when I installed the new filter where is that exactly?

I see you are in Phoenix too..well Salome for me
should be an o ring around the threads that the filter screws on
The following users liked this post:
Federic (11-30-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 06:00 PM

would that screw up the suction and make it die or not hold a idle?
Does it just lay there or is it fitted in somehow?
Old 11-24-2017, 06:23 PM

would that screw up the suction and make it die or not hold a idle?
Does it just lay there or is it fitted in somehow?
iv never left one off to find out always been told it would suck air if left out
Old 11-24-2017, 06:27 PM

mine didn't come with one and I looked at the old one and it didn't have it on there so maybe it still stayed ton the screw oil thing I'll have to take the filter off to check..if it's not on there that would account for air getting in and screwing with the problems although it worked great for about 2-3 weeks before the no start issue so...who knows
Old 11-24-2017, 07:37 PM

mine didn't come with one and I looked at the old one and it didn't have it on there so maybe it still stayed ton the screw oil thing I'll have to take the filter off to check..if it's not on there that would account for air getting in and screwing with the problems although it worked great for about 2-3 weeks before the no start issue so...who knows
So so check the fuel filter it was up there I moved it up tighten it down checked all the lines blew the line into the tank and fuel came out of the fiil line so that's good turn everything down bled 5 injectors and it started hook it up to my fifth wheel move my fifth wheel and left the running on hook then turned it off in front of my house and then started again it runs a little rough on Startup but it starts now it doesn't shut off of course because I got a FSS thing out but at least the truck starts thank you all for the great suggestions between everybody here it got it started hopefully it will start again when i try again in a hour or so!!
Old 11-24-2017, 09:06 PM

So so check the fuel filter it was up there I moved it up tighten it down checked all the lines blew the line into the tank and fuel came out of the fiil line so that's good turn everything down bled 5 injectors and it started hook it up to my fifth wheel move my fifth wheel and left the running on hook then turned it off in front of my house and then started again it runs a little rough on Startup but it starts now it doesn't shut off of course because I got a FSS thing out but at least the truck starts thank you all for the great suggestions between everybody here it got it started hopefully it will start again when i try again in a hour or so!!
glad you got it figured out
Old 11-24-2017, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by cabtruck
glad you got it figured out
Now it will not start again.. god help me
Old 11-25-2017, 12:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you getting any water from your fuel filter? My truck started surging bad at highway speed, then would stall every time it came down to idle on the shifts. I gutted the FSS, bled the lines everytime, even started looking for an injection pump, but kept getting tiny bits of water from the water drain. I rigged up a fuel pressure gauge, was reading 4-5psi, ended up runnng some into a bucket from that hose, and kept seeing drops of water.

I ended up dropping the tank, and found a good 1/4" of water in there. Cleaned it good, never had a problem since.

If you leave that o-ring off the threads on the fuel filter head, you could bypass a tiny amount of fuel past the filter, but will not get air into the system.
The following users liked this post:
Federic (11-30-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Sounds like you still have an air leak. I would try charging the tank again and look for another. Does your rig still have the fuel heater above the filter? ...Mark
Old 11-25-2017, 08:16 AM

turbo6 ..thanks for the info will try to see if it got water in it, I have a 55 gallon extra tank that I just took off the back to reposition so after I do that may run it straight to the engine to see...it keeps running longer each time I get rid of maybe some air leaks so im thinking you are right maybe368...did trace the return line and it goes to a plastic quick connect buried in the back drivers side...thinking I may just cut that line and put in 3/8 rubber new line to the tank and see how if it fixes it ALL the way. I know they say 5/16 return but if it's bigger as long as it fits the ends there is no harm is there? I bought 25 foot of 3/8 and still have about 14 feet so :-)
Almost there but not quite...also saw a 3 way valve under all the stuff with a mirror but it was impossible to get a wrench on it to check for tightness..you know what that is for there?

Oh yea...don't really know HOW to tell if it has the heater, do you have a picture of what it looks like by any chance you can post
Old 11-26-2017, 07:22 AM
BHD

Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts
A leak in the return line won't affect the way the engine runs or starts. I bet you have a leak in the suction line from the tank to the LP or around the fuel heater. These Cummins are good at starting and bleeding off air until they run smooth vs other diesels. Good luck, and keep us posted
Old 11-30-2017, 05:24 PM

Ok guys...finally found all the parts and I think I am getting closer but it will not stay running...this is what I've done so far:
new line from tank to LP got rid of quick release tic connectors
new banjo bleeder on fuel filter as well as new filter 3 weeks ago.
New heater fuel bolt connector and got rid of fuel heater altogether.
new return line copper washer for all six return banjo lines.

Getting great pressure from LP!
Got truck running BUT it is not running well so bleed the injectors as the truck was running and got lots of air out of each one.
When I cracked one of the lines in the very back the truck would not idle anymore but did before after I had bled all of them the first time even after bleeding them all again
bled the fuel filter banjo as truck running and got pure diesel with NO AIR!
all lines to and from the injector pump are tight and not leaking fuel
found a rubber cap with a short 1-1.5 inch tiny hose attached to the back of injector pump but not connected to anything, anyone know what this is?

Obviously the air is coming from somewhere between the LP banjo bleeder nut and the injectors but there is no leaking fuel on the lines so I am thinking there is only the injector pump itself but where could the air be coming in from?
Or is this one of the symptoms of a bad Pump?

How does one tell if it is the IP? the manual showed process of elimination and I have done pretty much everything suggested or that I can think of but still getting air in the lines from the FP forward..

Any suggestions or ideas are surely welcome right now!!! and thanks for all the previous ones too!

Quick Reply: 93 First Gen won't start