1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

92 twin turbo project where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 twin turbo project where to start?

Ok i have got a 92 d250 that is turned up 1/4 turn, smoke screw screwed, 14cm ex. housing with big head waste gate, now i am wanting to make this a twin turbo and i have absoutely no idea where to start, what i know is headgasket, head studs, big turbo first, small trubo secondary, now what i am wanting to know is can i use the turbo i have now and either get a bigger one or a smaller one to run with it or am i going to have to get two new turbos, what injectors, and what other mods i am going to have to do to it.

duramax is faster hopeing to solve my problems!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:35 PM

92 twin turbo project where to star?

ok i have got 92 d250 its got 3in exhaust, 14cm banks ex. housing w/ big head waste gate, i am wanting to put twin turbos on but i have no idea where to start so i am hopeing you all could help walk me through it, i dont know if i could use my current turbo and get either a larger or a smaller one or if i need to get two new turbos, what to do about exhaust, fule, i know i need head gasket and studs, just looking fo a little help through this project i am having trouble with a duramax but hopeing to fix it with my twin turbo and maybe shut him up, he has got exhaust and programmer, could run with him when he had just exhaust but now the programmer is killing me
Old 12-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Banned

not sure if the VE pump can supply enough fuel for a healthy set of twins?

what sort of duramax (mods, etc) are you looking to beat? That will give you a better idea what sort of setup you will need for your truck.

ben
Old 12-03-2008, 12:53 PM

This link will provide you with all the answers you will need for twins.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:53 PM

02 6gun 5in and cold air
Old 12-03-2008, 12:59 PM

"This link will provide you with all the answers you will need for twins. "

yep thanks for the helpful input if i had a little bit more knowledge about the whole turbo scene i could proubly figure it out on my own but i figured maybe this website could help a bit but if every one is as helpful as you it proubly will be no help at all
Old 12-03-2008, 01:05 PM

Is you truck an automatic?
Old 12-03-2008, 01:10 PM

no its a getrag but persuing a 5600 right now
Old 12-03-2008, 01:36 PM

Where are you located? Just slap some head studs on and limit the twins to 45psi, and a set of DDP+4 or 435's should be enough injector. I dont have much problem with Dmaxes around me till I run into an chipped LLY or LBZ. My 07' Dmax will run 13.3's all day with everything stock but a bully dog downloader. If you run into one of them then your going to need an auto trany to have a chance.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:46 PM

ok this is the problem i run in to when i just read stuff with no explination i dont really have any idea what all the numbers mean do the numbers represent a size or a series or what? sorry not very inclined in the whole diesel thing yet

located in kansas how this truck is rust free i have no idea the pans are really solid the frame dosnt have any of the flakey rust on it any where it kinda hard to believe bein a ks truck
Old 12-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Banned

Kansas is a drier climate, not as much salt used in the winter, I guess. The reason your W350 had so much rust in the rockers is that it was in Denver so long- they salt the snot out of the roads there, calc chloride, IIRC.

You normally go to twins because a big single either spools too slow, or your EGTs get too high. Twins give you bottom end, and thenhave the high flow on the top.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your going to need big injectors. Id say dynomite diesel performance stage 4's injectors or just get some LUCAS POD'S, there big injectors and are only 400$ for all 6 brand new, compared to 900$ like most big injectors are.

headgasket, studs

you could use the turbo you have now as the small turbo , and get a HOLSET HT3B off a big rig and put on top as your big charger.

your going to need bigger injectors to spool up your charger, Look at the top of the 1st gen board and see where it say "how do i... look here first a.k.a the sticky" ?? thats a permanent thread giving you all the info you could want on performance.

a nv5600 is not a easy swap in a 1st gen, get a southbend clutch for you getrag, it will hold up find.

when pwrtripls said DDP4's he means the dynomite diesel performance (company) injectors i stated above, and 45psi is boost and is what the it should be wastegated at if you leave stock headgasket and dont stud the head. 435's is also a big custom made $$$$$$$$ injector. Look up scheid diesel performance for injectors, also check classifieds on here.

you will get ALOT of replies on this, i am just a temporary host of info until the experts open this thread.

hope this helps,

Brandon
Old 12-03-2008, 02:20 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you are in eastern Kansas, then you are in luck... if you spend some time with John Isaacs from Floor It in Lawrence, he can be of invaluable info to you.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:21 PM

DDP's are injectors from dynomite diesel and 435's are different injectors, not sure where to get them.

One of the biggest things you will need is a governor spring, so you can rev the engine higher than 2700rpms. With pump tweeks, added fuel, and a 3200rpm spring mine keeps fueling past 3500. That way you can keep it reving and stay in each gear longer. With a manual you really need that. If I were you and my only goal was to beat this Dmax then I would:

1. get a GDS stage 2 compressor upgrade. ($200)
2. get a used 12cm W/G exhaust housing to spool much quicker. ($75 or less)
3. 3200rpm gov spring. ($20)
4. DDP+4's ($800) or POD's that make tons of power but crappy mileage ($400)

That should get you there, unless you want to spend more money. lol Whats your "limit" for this goal?
Old 12-03-2008, 03:20 PM

well this is just a nice paid for truck i could dump prob 5k in it if i wanted to but thats not realy what i desire to do i would like to keep it cheap just for the fact if i come across some one that i beat i can laugh and say i bet i have half in my whole truck than what you owe on yours lol if ya know what i mean but moneys not that big of an issue if i have to spend the money to win i will but right now were working on droping the front 2'' and the rear 4'' and then twin turbos but this is my one of 2 project right now i am working on a 49 f3 4x4 channeled 5'' (pretty much a 4x4 rat rod) which is prob a full winter away from being done but bein 19 with no shop of my own my nights are limited to just when my brother is down there working

Quick Reply: 92 twin turbo project where to start?