1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

9 years of running a fuel pump with missing parts..

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9 years of running a fuel pump with missing parts..

I have been getting intermittent leaking from the vent tube for years but never bad enough to bother me until a few months ago. (same time I found this forum)

So I decided to follow Jim's sticky and fix the "leaky fuel pin"

I tried to order a 121 kit and they are non existent in Canada so I called south of the border and found a place to help me out after 5 tries.

They sent me a full rebuilt kit they call a 126 kit $13.00

So I printed off all appropriate stickys and set about rebuilding the whole top end of the pump.

I have found out that for the 9 years I have owned this truck I have been missing the O ring, protective cap and retainer that completes the fuel pin parts in my pump. (check out the exploded diagram in Jim's sticky)

I'm thinking this explains a lot of issues I've had since I've owned this beast.

Not having ever driven a gen 1 before mine I had nothing to compare it to.

In my opinion my truck pulls awesome and runs great.

I'm very curious to see how my mileage, excessive smoke and leaks are affected after these parts come in and I finish the rebuild.

The pic is all the parts I took out of my pump concerning the fuel pin.

Name:  DSCF0020-1.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  13.9 KB

Bizarre it even ran.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:02 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Where did you find the kit ?
Old 02-11-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Where did you find the kit ?
PM sent.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:23 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
The protective cap that's in the exploded diagrams is not present in all pumps as I've been told. Mine didn't have one. However, the retainer and o-ring are very important . Also, replace the flat sealing washer that goes behind the bushing that the green o-ring rests in. It's in the exploded diagram as well. If there wasn't one well you pulled it apart, put one in there when you get the seal kit.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I have been having the pin stick on my pump for some time now so while I was looking at the breakdown for THEBIGBULLY last night I remembered not seeing the protective cap the last time I had my pump apart, maybe I misplaced it or maybe some aliens took it after my last encounter and probing but in any case I don't think it is there and I really think that is why it sticks when the retainer tightens against the o-ring it compresses it and it tightens up around the pin.

So this afternoon (Friday) I went to my local pump shop BECS Pacific in Whittier, CA. with printout and part numbers in hand and ask him if he had this part and explained what I think happened.

He said that without that part he can see how the pin would stick, when I showed him the drawing he knew exactly which part I was talking about, I did not ask him if all pumps had them.

After he looked for the parts he said he did not have one so after a few minuets he came back from the shop and dropped them into my hand along with a new o-ring and the sealing washer.

Looking at the design of the protective cap and the way it shrouds the o-ring to keep the retainer from tightening against it I am sure it will fix my problem.

A few minuets after I started talking to him he said "you sure know an awful lot about this thing, are you a mechanic or something?" I said yes how can you tell?

I have retired from being a diesel mechanic years ago but now I have my Cummins in my Dodge.

We talked for about an hour exchanging stories about the VE and the P7100 along with turbochargers, I ask him about the specs on the pump and I went away with about a half dozen sacred pages of pump specifications from the Ark of the Cummins. =)

He said next time when you come earlier he will show me the computerized pump test bed and other pieces of calibration equipment

He came out and looked at my truck and under the hood and said "you really love this don't you, I can tell."

Back to the THEBIGBULLY's truck, I cannot believe that someone forgot to replace the retainer, without it the o-ring is pretty much useless.

Jim
Old 02-12-2011, 01:51 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by THEBIGBULLY

I tried to order a 121 kit and they are non existent in Canada so I called south of the border and found a place to help me out after 5 tries.

They sent me a full rebuilt kit they call a 126 kit $13.00

I went down to our local diesel injection shop here in Abbotsford BC, and they had the DGK-121 in stock...$26.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:30 PM

Mr Jim, Could you share the sacred pages with us?