1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

9 speed in a dodge

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9 speed in a dodge

Maybe i'm on crack again but has anybody ever heard of sombody putting a 9 speed roadranger or other semi tranny in a dodge cummins? I think that would just be really awesome!!! I guess i can dream!
ez
Old 08-24-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I would be happy just to know if there is any other tranny with more than 5 gears to put behind this engines but the problem is one would need an adapter and the getrag is a bolt on item. So I can't help but I'd like to know about this too.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:49 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Tranny tunnel is a problem for the larger trans as well. But it can be done. Some one on here has done it but I don't remember who. I'm sure they will show up.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would also like to know cause that would be one bad truck
Old 08-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Banned

How about a 4 sp. brownie behind the 5 or 6 sp. tranny?
A 6 and a 4.....
How cool would that be?
Old 08-24-2007, 11:56 PM

A 4speed brownie would be really cool too!! i also thought about a 2 speed axle like a old 2 ton grain truck, but the brown box is a better idea. I am glad i'm not the only one who has thought of this!
ez
Old 08-25-2007, 01:22 AM

there has been some lengthy discussions about using a 'big-boy' tranny (fuller...) BUT, space is not there... tunnel, cab height, driveshaft / transfer case ...

I really need some gears, as I get that sinking feeling pulling 3 miles switchbacks on the way home everyday. Yesterday was ~ 90F, and you'd think I was asking too much for the ole girl (bone stock) to pull herself + 5k trailer, + 12k excavator, and a couple ton of wood pellets I picked up while in town. She was just crawling, with all aux fans screaming. Today she was happier with only 2 cords of wood to drag home. I found some 5'x10' plywood for "Hog-Racks" on my flatbed, so I can heap her up ! just wish she had a hoist like my '78 W350.

Tomorrow's picnic (after the wood is unloaded) is here
http://www.pacificnwtruckmuseum.org
http://www.pacificnwtruckmuseum.org/...Poster2007.pdf
Show is featuring 'orphan trucks' tomorrow, and I like to see the tranny selections on the older 'log trucks'. The one I currently drive for a friend has a 10speed Roadranger + a 4spd brownie, that is pretty popular amongst the log trucks, and friendly compared to earlier stuff. Some of the spots you have to get in and out of are quite wicked and a missed shift may leave you stranded on a very steep and rocky or muddy incline.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:47 AM

clark makes 6 and 7 speeds that will bolt to our engines and aren't outrageously large. On the other hand, if you want 9 gears go buy a big truck. your only driving a pickup truck, there is really no need for anything more than 6 gears. as already said, you would need a rediculous body lift to clear the trans, and an air source to operate the range shift. good luck finding a transfer case to bolt to that eaton if your truck is 4x4.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:30 AM

I'd be happy with a closer ratio getrag box and an OD. That 2nd to 3rd jump is killer.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:51 AM
BHD

Received 389 Likes on 259 Posts
I have been debating on trying to find some kind of underdrive to put either behind the transfer case or between the tranny and transfer case. The 3.07's are nice for driving empty but no fun when loaded w/3k trailer + 6k toys. I think it would be sweet to have a 3rd lever in the floor, just like the old Quadraplexes. Probably not too practical but nobody else would have one.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:57 AM

There was somebody on here that was saying that they saw an older Ferd with an 8.3 Cummins and a 10 speed. If it can be done on a Ferd I don't know why it couldn't be done on a Dodge. Might be more work than is practical but......
Old 08-25-2007, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by EClancy
clark makes 6 and 7 speeds that will bolt to our engines and aren't outrageously large. On the other hand, if you want 9 gears go buy a big truck. your only driving a pickup truck, there is really no need for anything more than 6 gears.
it was just a idea i was thinking outloud. Might have to look into those clark transmissions. the brownie box was a good idea too. Big trucks cost big money and alot more money to tag and insure. And i thought that is why we do what we do to our trucks? to make them tow more like a big truck?! And my red 04.5' CTD might disagree with you on the only needing 6 gears! haha O well, this is why forums are a good thing, you can get opinions and ideas without spending a fortune to learn somthing won't work. ya'll have a good day and no disrespect intended eclancy, just wanted to explain myself.
ez
Old 08-25-2007, 11:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EClancy
clark makes 6 and 7 speeds that will bolt to our engines and aren't outrageously large. On the other hand, if you want 9 gears go buy a big truck. your only driving a pickup truck, there is really no need for anything more than 6 gears. as already said, you would need a rediculous body lift to clear the trans, and an air source to operate the range shift. good luck finding a transfer case to bolt to that eaton if your truck is 4x4.
They seem a bit high on price, but like anyone else I'd love to have a couple extra gears. Bownie box I don't think so, too much shifting involved I better go with a GV or US Gear if I where to go that route.

Btw does anyone know what torque are the getrag's rated for?
Old 08-25-2007, 06:08 PM

My Dad has a 90 D350 with a 10 speed 5 and 5 over He bought it off a guy who made it for towing it had a gas engine and he put a 93 cummings and the 10 speed
Old 08-25-2007, 08:24 PM

It's possible on a 2wd...

1.3" body lift
2.all the correct adapters and clutch (got mine from a 5.9 powered f-700)
3.air supply (eletric w/ pressure switch)
4.some extra steel and time fabbing up a trans mount
5.custom drive line (can be pretty pricey)
6.anything else i forgot (been a couple years)...

1st gen w/ 13 speed od would pull till there was no end (left on the axles that is) and would just about fly...

Quick Reply: 9 speed in a dodge