1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

727 TF squeels? help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
727 TF squeels? help!

ineed of some help here!

when i am at idle, in drive at a stop light or with breakes applied i get this squeeling squeeky noise. its not a real loud squeel like a fan belt you hear on an old run down ford escourt but its there while at idle in drive.

i thought it was my tensioner pully but withe the advice from another member lubed it, and took the belt off and checked the water pump and other pullies. all good. well i noticed today. and tonight that as soon as i have it in park, or reverse its not there, only in drive, at idle or with breaks on at a stop. but when i give it some throttle its gone.

could this be my TQ ? or tranny it self? this is my first auto trany so i am a lil lost? when it shifts it shifts hard from 1st to 2nd. but other wise it seems fine. tanny fluid good, i have ran amsoil in for the last year. and have only pulled my jeep a few times.

any one with some good ideas on this. thanks

and if any one knows what i need to change my 727TF for a newer 6 spd. let me know. i was talking to a guy waiting for a ferrey back in washington whos brother did a 6spd conversion on his 1st gen and loved it. i should have got the guys #.

Last edited by 90dodge; 01-03-2006 at 06:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-03-2006, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I supose its possible, but id still think its in the belts. In drive it idles a differant speed so when you put in park it idles up and quits. You can try the old hose trick, use piece of hose and hold one in to your ear it acts like a stephoscope, to help you pin point the noise. ps try get a helper to hold a foot on brake, i dont like depending on park brake in drive.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:01 PM

thanks. i am not real sure if its the tranny, thought i would ask. the wife will be the helper tomorrow. she likes to help. what a woman.

any info on a 6 spd 1st gen conversion anyone?
Old 01-03-2006, 08:49 PM

It may be worth it to remove the three bolts holding your T/C cover and check to see that the flex plate is OK. If the sound gets worse and make more and more sounds it could be the T/C hitting the back of the engine block... Don't ask me how I know this lets just say I have a couple parts hanging on the wall in the garage...
Old 01-04-2006, 03:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TLRMAN
It may be worth it to remove the three bolts holding your T/C cover and check to see that the flex plate is OK. If the sound gets worse and make more and more sounds it could be the T/C hitting the back of the engine block... Don't ask me how I know this lets just say I have a couple parts hanging on the wall in the garage...

I think I have some of those trophies hanging on the shop wall as well.