1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

2 problems: harsh crackin sound and coolant explosion

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 10:16 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
Yup, Phoenix is one of he only places where casual friday is every day. It is ridiculous to wear a suit in the summer here. The vast majority of the people here are NOT used to the heat, because they spend all their time in ac. I spend a lot of time exercising in the heat of the afternoon. I put 25 year olds to shame in the heat, I'll be 60 in May and I consider the heat my ally.All that said, I still like the other 9 months here . We usually go at least a week during the summer where the temps never get below 90. That is bad enough, but the worst is the accumulated heat from never cooling down at night. That is what sets us apart from other hot places in the US...Mark
I think one of the reasons we're such a sick nation is that folks don't work up a sweat very often. The latest health craze is the infra-red sauna. Expensive toy to replace hoeing a little corn in July.

The first time I went to Phoenix, I landed in the early afternoon. There was a huge thunderhead coming over the mountain. I said, "It's going to rain." The guy next to me said, "Don't hold your breath." I stood there and watched a 60,000 foot thunderhead evaporate like a breath out of a doe's nose.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
I think one of the reasons we're such a sick nation is that folks don't work up a sweat very often. The latest health craze is the infra-red sauna. Expensive toy to replace hoeing a little corn in July.

The first time I went to Phoenix, I landed in the early afternoon. There was a huge thunderhead coming over the mountain. I said, "It's going to rain." The guy next to me said, "Don't hold your breath." I stood there and watched a 60,000 foot thunderhead evaporate like a breath out of a doe's nose.
Yeah, they call that the heat dome over Phoenix, you can watch storms build all around and fizzle when they hit the dome. Last year we had torrential rain, some neighborhoods got 5-6 inches in a half hour. floods everywhere but that is rare. We get our annual average in 2 or 3 storms. Our drought is not as bad as California's, but it has lasted the last 14 or 15 years...Mark
Old 04-25-2015, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I got the center bearing off with a brass punch and a lotta hammering. New went on fairly easy with the right size pipe up against the bearing and hitting the pipe on my anvil.. so far runs and sounds good. Is there any requirments for aligning the bearing left to right when bolting the support bracket up?

Second problem...coolant
I let the truck warm up to temp in the morning and with a little bit of driving around the yard the temp gauge goes up to the middle and jumps around a bit eratic. Top radiator hose is cold and rad cap cold. Is my thermostat not opening? Or possibly air bubble?
Old 04-25-2015, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by grim
So I got the center bearing off with a brass punch and a lotta hammering. New went on fairly easy with the right size pipe up against the bearing and hitting the pipe on my anvil.. so far runs and sounds good. Is there any requirments for aligning the bearing left to right when bolting the support bracket up?

Second problem...coolant
I let the truck warm up to temp in the morning and with a little bit of driving around the yard the temp gauge goes up to the middle and jumps around a bit eratic. Top radiator hose is cold and rad cap cold. Is my thermostat not opening? Or possibly air bubble?
Behind (or to the left) the thermostat housing is a pipe plug. You need to "burp" the engine at that point. It relieves an air pocket at the thermostat that will make those symptoms.

You may have a bad head gasket or something. That is found by testing the air over the anti freeze in the radiator for exhaust gasses.

A cooling system leak is found by pressurizing the system with air at about 15 psi. You can use a test kit for that. I use a small pulley puller to clamp down the radiator cap, then take the overflow hose off the reservoir and pressurize it with shop air regulated to 15 psi. It can get a bit messy when you disconnect if you are impatient.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks very much! that did the trick.!

unfortunatley my rad is leaking in two spots now. i think time for a new one.
Any opinions on the spectra radiatiors on rockauto?
Old 04-28-2015, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by grim
thanks very much! that did the trick.!

unfortunatley my rad is leaking in two spots now. i think time for a new one.
Any opinions on the spectra radiatiors on rockauto?
I put a Mishimoto in mine. I can pull anything in any weather, anywhere, and not worry about overheat.