Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Ron Capps' explosion

Old 10-13-2002, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ron Capps' explosion

man, i just got done watching NHRA. did anyone see ron's capps' funny car explode? a retainer clip on one of the intake valves failed and basically turned the motor into a 6000hp bomb (no, not better off modified baby ). the firewall got stuck in front of him so he couldn't see. his knee/legs are beat up, but other than that he's fine (very shooken up!). all i can say is wow.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:28 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Re:Ron Capps' explosion

That was one of the largest explosions I've seen since they mandated Pop-Off panels, and blower retention straps.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:54 AM

98 and Shovel<br><br>Saw that last night too. Wow . Hadn't seen one blow up like that in a long time. In the slow mo replay, you could see the blower had split in two. When the intake valve retainer failed and intake valved dropped, that allowed the ignition to light the nitro mix clear through the intake and blower. Kaboom! Bet he never thought that was coming! Blower restraints never had a chance to do their job.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:06 AM

A couple more &quot;Boomers&quot; like that and NHRA is gonna make then put a scatter blanket over the whole dang engine.<br><br>Glad Ron was OK, had me worried on that one.<br><br>Well the Boss is still on top in the points chase. ;D
Old 10-14-2002, 11:29 AM

Yeah, that's for sure on the scatter blanket. Suprised some parts didn't go into the bleachers. Could have as far as I know. Reid and Dunn would not have told the viewers if that had happened. <br>Force is hanging in there for sure, Tony is right with him. Gonna be a horse race to Pomona it looks like. How could anyone not like JF, even if he does dominate the flopper class.<br>His interviews are worth the price of admission. ;D
Old 10-14-2002, 01:16 PM

[quote author=turboblue link=board=10;threadid=5872;start=0#52711 date=1034612967]<br><br>His interviews are worth the price of admission. ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>The look on Whit Bazemore's face everytime Big John puts a whoopin' on him is worth the price of admission.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:29 PM

Yeah, Bazemore is getting frustrated with the Force team whippin' up on him. Too bad, I don't like him even if he is based in Indy, about 30 miles away.
If one hasn't heard a fuel car make a pass, they don't know what they are missing. Makes a 5 engine hot rod tractor sound like a Briggs. Ya can feel your liver quiver. Night time qualifying is way cool. ;D
Old 10-14-2002, 05:46 PM

[quote author=turboblue link=board=10;threadid=5872;start=0#52768 date=1034630950]<br>Yeah, Bazemore is getting frustrated with the Force team whippin' up on him. Too bad, I don't like him even if he is based in Indy, about 30 miles away. <br>If one hasn't heard a fuel car make a pass, they don't know what they are missing. Makes a 5 engine hot rod tractor sound like a Briggs. Ya can feel your liver quiver. Night time qualifying is way cool. ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>mm, yes, incredible. and at night time that raw fuel comes down and burns your eyes and nose. sometimes you just feel like running away after that. :'( 8)
Old 10-15-2002, 04:56 PM

http://www.nhra.com/2002/events/race21/video/index.html<br><br>4th video on the list. <br><br>They replayed the race today on ESPN. <br>WWWOOOOWWW!!!!!! talk about an explosion.
Old 10-15-2002, 05:29 PM
Banned

Didn't get to catch the race. :'( I love going to the Drag's man. It is an amazing sight to see. 6000HP cars doing 0-300+ mph in 4 or so sec. The sound from them is beautiful. If you think a straight piped Cummins is loud, then go and check out a top fueler. Makes a straight piped Cummins sound like a battery operated golf cart. Your clothes are shaking on your body. The stands are shaking. The glass behind them is shaking. I stood up one time right as they took off and it blew me backwards. ;D Now that is power. Night trials are the best. I'm going to the O'Reiley Nationals in Ft. Worth this year. Force is the best funny car driver of all time in my opinion. Even if he does drive a Mustang.
Old 10-15-2002, 06:09 PM

force is the best for funny car. i've always been for joe amato since i can remember, but i dunno now. Dixon has been tearing it up there, but i like him (unlike Jeff Gordon). it's amazing that savoi couldn't get a sponsor before. she is the best...period.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:35 PM

Yeah, Angelle is pretty good driver too. <br>Who in thier right mind wouldn't want to sponser her. I do have to question her judgement after she married that coon-*** boy. <br>That is the first time I've heard that name pronounced &quot;Sav-wa&quot; All my life I've heard it pronounced &quot;Sav-oye&quot; But hey, what do I know, I only grew up in Louisiana.