1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1st gen tech support chat

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
1st gen tech support chat

I'm thinking about hosting a 1st gen tech support chat session on a weekly basis. For right now I'll schedule it for Thursdays at 7:00 PM Eastern. I'll try it for a few weeks and see how it goes.

To get to DTR chat, click the link towards the right near the top of any page, or use this address: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...gtchat/chat.pl

It asks you for a password but you don't need one unless you register. You don't have to register to chat.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Nobody showed up tonight, but it was very short notice. I'll try it again next week, same time.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
neat idea Dave.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:07 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
I never done any "chatting"; how does it work ??

What happens to the information once the chat is over ??

What happens if two dozen people try to chat at the same time ??

If you don't have to register to chat, what is the benefit of registering ??

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:12 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
I took a quick look at the entry page and there is only one "room".

Does this mean that while us 1st Gen. guys are "chatting" that others can pop in and talk about other topics ??

Or, will we have a seperate "room"??
Old 06-04-2009, 07:21 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
I'm thinking about hosting a 1st gen tech support chat session on a weekly basis. For right now I'll schedule it for Thursdays at 7:00 PM Eastern. I'll try it for a few weeks and see how it goes.

To get to DTR chat, click the link towards the right near the top of any page, or use this address: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...gtchat/chat.pl

It asks you for a password but you don't need one unless you register. You don't have to register to chat.
Can you do it an hour later? I don't get home by 5:00 usually...
Old 06-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by BearKiller
I never done any "chatting"; how does it work ??

What happens to the information once the chat is over ??

What happens if two dozen people try to chat at the same time ??

If you don't have to register to chat, what is the benefit of registering ??

Thanks.
It's like posting here only you get immediate answers.

The info goes bye-bye unless you copy and paste it.

Then two dozen people are in the chat room chatting. You can have a private conversation on the side if you want, though. See the list of commands for more info. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/....html#commands

If you register then nobody else can use your name and your profile is saved.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by BearKiller
I took a quick look at the entry page and there is only one "room".

Does this mean that while us 1st Gen. guys are "chatting" that others can pop in and talk about other topics ??

Or, will we have a seperate "room"??
Yes, other folks could barge in but the chat room is rarely used.

Keep in mind that I am an administrator, so if they get in the way I can boot 'em out of the chat room.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by mhuppertz
Can you do it an hour later? I don't get home by 5:00 usually...
It might still be going at 8 if there's a lot of interest. I am generally headed for bed by 8:30, though. Work starts early.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This would be like starting another EMERGENCY section for 1st gen only? Sound idea, the time frame differance will kill it.....same thing that happens when members post on the normal forums.. You'll have to have Mods looking at it 24/7. Yes you can boot them out untill its time for you to hit the rack..
Old 06-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Adminstrator-ess

It's nothing new, the chat room has been there since day one. Nobody's been using it much lately though. If there's nobody home then there's no reason to watch it.

Not so much an emergency section as a teleconference or conference call where we can get together and talk 1st gens. Folks with questions are welcome and so are folks with answers (and patience).

The time zone thing is tough to get around.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
It's nothing new, the chat room has been there since day one. Nobody's been using it much lately though. If there's nobody home then there's no reason to watch it.

Not so much an emergency section as a teleconference or conference call where we can get together and talk 1st gens. Folks with questions are welcome and so are folks with answers (and patience).

The time zone thing is tough to get around.
I've been through this on a weopons web I owned. It just doesn't work. Most, if not all of the MODS are east coast. If I break after you MODS go to bed were does that leave everyone asking the questions? And someone starts a flaming war thats not seen until the next day. I'd be calling a tow truck, not looking at a web page untill I have the truck in the driveway. Teleconferance?? How many folks have time for that? Talking 1st gen....Dave, isn't that what the forums are for?? I'm not being out of line with you. Just my .02
Old 06-05-2009, 10:41 PM

there was a poll up about a wed night chat room! i went and checked out the chatroom it looks like fun! i'll try to check this opne out! thanks Dave good idea
Old 06-06-2009, 12:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My chevytruck website has a chat room but i runs off of MIRC not off the forum itself... its usually a disaster when the drunk folks get in there and yada yada.

I'm sure this one won't be like that though. lol

I'm in i guess. I'm not really educated but i can usually steer people in the right direction
Old 06-06-2009, 09:19 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossy's son
My chevytruck website has a chat room but i runs off of MIRC not off the forum itself... its usually a disaster when the drunk folks get in there and yada yada.

I'm sure this one won't be like that though. lol

I'm in i guess. I'm not really educated but i can usually steer people in the right direction
not really educated?? hahah i'm sure every one of us members could dig up some replies you've posted with some pretty darn good information along with them. don't put yourself down too much. hell, you're younger than i am and know more than i do about this stuff. even though i went through a diesel program, i wasn't required to study turbo specs (flow rates, inducer and exducer sizes, etc). just a matter of reading about it if you've got the time. keep on truckin dude!

Quick Reply: 1st gen tech support chat