1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

1980 Dodge Crew Cab

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brambles
So the 91-93 have a PCM? I thought everything up to 98 1/2 was completely mechanical, after that the electronics started taking over?

Can I run a 91-93 engine without an intercooler?

Engines are fairly common, but they don't always come with all the parts necessary to complete an installation, Might actually make the install a lot trickier if you just have an engine plopped down in front of you and no idea what parts you need to add to get the whole system up and running. Thats my only hesitation on buying a motor already pulled from a truck.

Thanks again
i) Yes sir, they do.
ii) I don't see why you couldn't, although you'd need to change a few things like the intake tubing to go directly from the compressor outlet. Should be able to find one of those reasonably easily. My question is, why would you want to?
Old 12-15-2010, 08:12 AM

of course I say put a cummins in it and drive the heck out of it..

best decision I ever made was to build my crew cab with a cummins
Old 12-15-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
91-93's do have a PCM but the injection is still mechanical. The PCM controls the alternator, A/C, cruise control, etc.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
91-93's do have a PCM but the injection is still mechanical. The PCM controls the alternator, A/C, cruise control, etc.
so would it be possible to make a 1993 cummins run without the PCM if you don't need A/C or cruise control and change the voltage system over to the earlier years?

Or is it mandatory that the dash gauges be swapped over to keep the electronics working.

The reason I ask is I found a complete 1993 Cummins engine for sale but no intercooler and I'm pretty sure the Dash isn't there as well, but apparently the wiring harness is. Not how much of the wiring harness is there.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:36 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
so would it be possible to make a 1993 cummins run without the PCM if you don't need A/C or cruise control and change the voltage system over to the earlier years?
Yes.
You can also wire up an external VR and the alternator will work. The cruise function of the PCM is probably easy enough to bypass as well.

Or is it mandatory that the dash gauges be swapped over to keep the electronics working.
Gauges aren't run by the PCM. You can rig them up how ever you like based on the dash/gauge package you decide on.

The reason I ask is I found a complete 1993 Cummins engine for sale but no intercooler and I'm pretty sure the Dash isn't there as well, but apparently the wiring harness is. Not how much of the wiring harness is there.
Cool!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
My 91.5 has a factory firewall mounted voltage regulator.
My 92 does not have a factory firewall mounted voltage regulator.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
All you really need for a wiring harness is already in the crew. The 1st gen 12 valve is a "stupid" engine that just needs power for the starter (already there), alternator wiring (already there) and power to the shutoff solenoid (use the gasser coil wire). Everything else is non-essential.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:13 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
6bt

youll be looking for a motor/trans/transfercase, all non modified bolt in except for the tcase crossmember? youll probably find another wrecked donor with nicer interior upgrade parts, if someones looking to sell just the motor, the donor is usually still connected, good luck, and nice crew project!
Old 12-17-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by sooty
youll be looking for a motor/trans/transfercase, all non modified bolt in except for the tcase crossmember? youll probably find another wrecked donor with nicer interior upgrade parts, if someones looking to sell just the motor, the donor is usually still connected, good luck, and nice crew project!
So your saying I need the transfer case cross member out of the donor truck or do I just need to make a mod to the gasser one?

Thanks

The guy's got a 1993 cummins 213,000 kms (133,000 miles), pooched and gutted Getrag case with the Transfercase still bolted up. Complete running engine that he was swapping into a ford. He sold the intercooler, he's not sure if he's got another one to give me. Has a 93 Radiator, starter, alternator, wiring harness etc

He's got a set of injectors that he built with 8.3L cummins nozzles that are in the engine now, and he has started the engine with them but probably not driven it, and a set of original 93 injectors too. Says it runs good with the mod nozzles.

He's a heavy duty mechanic and likes to tinker.

What would something like that be worth
Old 12-17-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
your 205 t-case will probably accomodate the cross member with the 2 door cab, or 4 door cab, on the older gassers, im not sure about the locate frame mounts, your engine mounts will be a direct bolt up, the frame at the t-case at worst, will be redrilled for the new location, longer motor, they didnt change much, going back to the '70's. you might want to consider a new venture 4500 to replace the gutrag worthy upgrade, especially mated to the 205. youll see 5.9 motors for 1000. not usually with trans and tcase, sometimes the whole rig for the same. dont be afraid of a 300k motor, still got lots of life if not overheated. on a side note, i paid 3500 for my wreck, in '03, there was a lot of purchasers to compete with.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:40 PM

Like Sooty said, somewhere in the $1000 range seems to be the going rate for a complete engine. Kinda hard to say with the T.case etc. $1250 - $1500?
Old 12-17-2010, 11:53 PM

Hey guys, this truck has dual fuel tanks, obviously the stock gas tanks for 1980 pump off the engine, can I still use these tanks for the Diesel conversion?

Is there a in tank pump that has to go in each tank or ????

Thanks again

P.S. The guy wants $1000 for everything so I think its a good deal, most adds up here in Canada guys are wanting anywhere from $3500- $4500 depending on year and milege for just the motor. I told him I'll take the motor so now I just gotta track down a Tranny. Probably just stick with a Getrag cause I don't think I'll push my motor past 300 hp. I was happy with the power out of my 2003 so I don't see why a 300 hp 1st gen will be any less satisfying
Old 12-18-2010, 02:30 AM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
you don't need an in tank fuel pump...you'll have a lift pump (fuel pump) on the drivers side, lower rear of the block. Not sure if you can use the gasser tanks...can't see why not?

$1000 cdn for everything is a good deal!! I'd stick with the Getrag too...lots of aftermarket support for those trannies now.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:48 AM

Hey guys, this truck has dual fuel tanks, obviously the stock gas tanks for 1980 pump off the engine, can I still use these tanks for the Diesel conversion?

Is there a in tank pump that has to go in each tank or ????

Thanks again

P.S. The guy wants $1000 for everything so I think its a good deal, most adds up here in Canada guys are wanting anywhere from $3500- $4500 depending on year and milege for just the motor. I told him I'll take the motor so now I just gotta track down a Tranny. Probably just stick with a Getrag cause I don't think I'll push my motor past 300 hp. I was happy with the power out of my 2003 so I don't see why a 300 hp 1st gen will be any less satisfying
The 1st gen may be a bit lighter, so it may be even more satisfying!
Old 12-18-2010, 10:05 AM

sweet, thanks guys.

I see guys using Ramcharger rear tanks in their conversions so there shouldn't be any issues running a gasser tank IMO

Quick Reply: 1980 Dodge Crew Cab