1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

15-40 in a getrag???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15-40 in a getrag???

I was reading over at dieselram.com, and came across a tread saying that the owers manual is wrong on using 5-30 and that 15w-40 is what getrag says to use. Any one have any more info. on this. I am currently running mobil-1 5w-30 and the trans doesn't shift as well as it could. Here is the tread

Since we have been playing around with the 1st Gen truck again, I remembered about the wrong oil weight printed on pg 113 in the owners manual. It says to use SAE 5W-30 motor oil. This is wrong. We found out the hard way. According to Getrag, and the people who re-built the trans for us, you should use only 15W-40 motor oil in the Getrag 360 5 speed manual. 5-30 is way too light, and will foam. Gear lube, such 80-90 GL4(5) types, should also not be used, as it's too heavy, and it won't lube the top end properly. The people who did the re-build also reccomended against full synthetic, as they felt it would be too runny.

This only applies to the Getrag 360 manual tranny, not to the New Venture manuals that reqire a specific full synthetic gear lube.

Hope this info helps someone.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:59 AM

I run 10w40....but it leaks so quick there's always new oil in it. HAHA
Old 10-26-2004, 10:33 AM

being new to this.. do they recommend a regular engine oil or a non degergent one so that crud settles to the bottom?
Old 10-26-2004, 02:04 PM

do they recommend a regular engine oil or a non degergent one so that crud settles to the bottom?

You'd have to look long and hard for a non detergent 15W40 oil....I don't think they even make one. Most of your modern oils, especially the ones that are used in diesel Cummins powered Dodge trucks are all detergent oils which take the pollutants out with the changing of the oil. In the case of clean oil in a tranny this is a very beneficial process precisely because of detergent oils flushing effect and with less wear using fresh oil. Chuck
Old 10-26-2004, 03:05 PM
JKM

non detergent oils are easy to find , any auto parts store has them , even tractor dealers , they make them for the old engines , theory being it will leave deposits where they are.

removing deposits in an old engine can cause many things , leaks are one of them.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:20 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Redline MTL is working well in my Getrag.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:07 PM

Where do you buy that MTL. Looking on summit and can't seem to track it down
Old 10-26-2004, 08:37 PM
Adminstrator-ess

I got it from someplace on the internet, I can't remember where exactly. I paid $6/qt.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:13 PM
DJ

My book says 5-30 but I'm trying Mobil 1 15-50 right now. Seems to keep it quiet for a little longer but still noisy after a half hour driving.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:38 AM

Geez, you guys made me feel guilty about having over 225,000 miles on my truck and I've never changed the tranny fluid....ever. Course I don't tow anything and I'm the only driver using the truck for a daily commuter with a 60 mile round trip daily. It shifts like it did when it was new and the tranny makes no noise. (Hell, I'm on my original clutch!!) In fact, it's like the rest of the truck (the best rig I've ever owned, even if it is my first Mopar product) though I'm religous about the changing of the fluids. I didn't see anything in the manual about changing it so I didn't. But I'm going to now!!
We have City street sweepers where I work that're Cummins powered and have over 400,000 not exactly easy miles with multiple drivers and they run and go along fine...just like new. I've heard some posts around here that the guys are worried about their motor after 250,000 miles or so. To which I say....worried about what?? If it's been taken care of I see no reason why this motor couldn't go as far...400,000 miles, maybe more. I've tossed around the idea of a newer truck but the thought of a payment and shelling out more dough for insurance makes me feel ill. No thanks....I'll keep and fix up what I got! Anyway, I'm going tomorrow and get it changed as I REALLY FEEL GUILTY NOW I can see it now when I tell em I want 15W40 in the tranny and I want it OVERFILLED. I have no pump so I'll go to JiffyLube or someone like that and have them do it....and watch em like a hawk. Chuck
Old 10-29-2004, 03:33 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Don't feel guilty. The manuals all say that the oil in the transmission does not need to be changed.

No pump needed, there's a drain plug on the bottom and a fill plug on the side.

This thread is the first time I've EVER heard 15W-40 suggested for the Getrag. I would stick with a thinner lube like 5W-30 or the MTL.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by wannadiesel

This thread is the first time I've EVER heard 15W-40 suggested for the Getrag. I would stick with a thinner lube like 5W-30 or the MTL.
Ditto
Old 11-03-2004, 05:19 PM

I use a Valvoline synthetic blend 5w-30 in mine. Also, if you take the shifter out, you can overfill it a quart or too.

I added an extra quart of oil and a quart of lucas, mine shifted a LOT better. That's with 150k on the odometer. The engine was replaced at some point in it's life cause it has a REMANUFATURED badge on it. I found the original owner and he said when it was towed one time by the dealer that they blew up the tranny somehow.

I've never heard of using 15w-40, but I'm sure you could find a non detergent regular 40 weight. Just cause you can't find it in the parts stores doesn't mean they can't order it. I work for CarQUest and we order non detergent oil for our shop customers all the time for their air compressors.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:03 AM

Be careful how heavy of an oil you use. It won't bother the gears or bearings one bit, but a heavy oil will keep the synchros from working properly. The heavy oil won't push out of the way fast enough for the synchro to provide a clutching action on the gear.

Kinda explains why a manual transmission doesn't shift as well on a real cold morning, huh?

-Maurice
Old 11-04-2004, 09:40 AM

Was 22 here yesterday morning and mine was alittle hesitant go go into gear. Gotta get that synthetic in so it doesn't get thick like dino oil does.

I am currious on the Lucas additive, what are peoples thoughts on that?

Quick Reply: 15-40 in a getrag???