1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

12 volt block heater

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by gyman98
Most guys just install a high idle, its very simple and solves the above problem. Also increases the oil pressure dramatically just bumping it up to 1100rpm
LOL, clean forgot my broomstick I used to use............

Yep, 1100-1200 RPMs works wonders for building heat.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not supposed to idle for too long? I didn't know that. How long is too long? What do you guys use to bump the idle up? Is it like a hand throttle?

Jake
Old 12-16-2011, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I seem to remember 5 min. from Cummins, the real thing is it never builds any heat at a dead idle. Both of mine have lost heat after you park it and leave it idle, from 190 down to the first line on the gauge.

Fancy guys install a hand throttle, us Po' boys used to cut a stick......
Old 12-16-2011, 09:07 AM

When I had my 2000, this is what I did and worked well.

1. Get a friend to help, need someone to hold throttle open, measure idle speed, etc.
1.5 Get 2 air conditioner solenoids off a mid 80's chev car (in case 1 is bad). Its on the drivers side of the carb, a couple of screws and it comes off nicely.
2. Go to Crappy Tire and get a toggle switch, make sure its a decent one and some 18 gauge wire. (about 15 feet/5 meters)
3. Remove the plastic cover that covers the throttle cable.
4.Test the solenoid to make sure it works and to see how long the throw is.
5. Start truck and have friend hold it at 1200 rpm and see "roughly" where the throttle position in relation to the solenoid and mark it with marker.
6. Drill holes, make them a little bigger so you have some adjustment and install the solenoid (make sure its straight, use washers to shim if need be), snug things but don't tighten everything up just yet.
7. Find a good place in your dash and drill hole for switch, make sure there is nothing behind it and you have a good space for the back of the switch (and wires).
8. Run a wire from your switch to the fuse panel, I believe I used slot 14 for power (or 9) I can't quite remember, (one of the 2 is the dimmer switch for my gauges, you don't want that one) you want 12 volt continuous power with the key.
9. Run another wire from the switch to the solenoid, they are self grounding so don't worry about the ground. Make sure all wires are not pinched or can chafe against anything, zip ties are great for this.
10. Test solenoid, (it does not have enough power to move the throttle on its own, but if you turn it on, and tap the gas it will hold it at the rpm needed)
11. Fire up the truck, turn on solenoid and by hand move the throttle to 1200 rpm, it will take a few times to see exactly where it needs to be, but you'll get it. Shut off the truck, tighten everything down and try it again. If its good, take it apart and use red loc-tite to hold everything in place, I also double nutted it so it can't move.
12. You can leave the plastic cover off or modify it like I did with an angle grinder and you're done. It takes about 2-3 hours and 1-2 beer.

Hope this helps...

One other thing that helped immensely was taking the fan off. Left hand thread and a zap with the air chisel and she pops right off. Never had a cooling issue as long as it stayed below freezing even when towing.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly
I seem to remember 5 min. from Cummins, the real thing is it never builds any heat at a dead idle. Both of mine have lost heat after you park it and leave it idle, from 190 down to the first line on the gauge.

Fancy guys install a hand throttle, us Po' boys used to cut a stick......
If i let mine idle it just burns fuel.... I have a remote start and the trick is to set the idle when you shut it down at night by shoving the window scraper brush between the seat and the go pedal. That way in the morning it revs up and actually gets warm before I drive off! I'm working on a solenoid setup that I can kick in via the remote. I'll post a DIY when it's done.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I don't think idling is that bad if you can up the rpms to 1000 or a little higher. The previous owner of my truck was a welder who worked in the NWT in the winter and had to leave the truck running 24/7. He also ran heater hose to his welder to keep it warm through the night. My truck currently has over 500,000 km on the original engine.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:13 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
I've seen the loggers around here show up and hook up 2 quick connect hoses (use hydraulic fittings) between their pickup and the skidder. A cup of coffee later the skidder is ready to start up and go to work.

Been thinking, there's no reason that wouldn't work with a heat exchanger on the wood boiler system. Should take it up to full operating temp in about a half hour in sub zero weather.

Just have to remember to park near the boiler.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:35 AM

Anyone know where to get a hand throttle? I'm gonna try premier power welder tomorrow and see if they will sell just the hand throttle that they offer in their kits. I'm looking for that style with an adjustable **** and center button to return back to idle quickly.

Jake
Old 01-18-2018, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
J martin

Can you give a little more info about the loggers hooking up skidded s to truck?