12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Why do I have to plug my truck in?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do I have to plug my truck in?

Hey Guys

This is my first diesel truck. When and why do I plug my truck in? It is starting to get cold up here. Do I plug it in before I am getting ready to drive it or all night long?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2003, 07:37 AM

Re:Why do I have to plug my truck in?

I personally plug in only when temps fall into the teens. You'll find guys who use it in the 40's too. Again personally, 2 to 3 hours prior to setting out in the morning is good down to zero for me. At $.13 per Kw/hr. the 750 watt heater will add some bucks to your monthly bill if you leave it on all night. Why use it? Well the heater warms the coolant in the block which makes starting easier. I've started mine at -10[sup]o[/sup]F without the block heater with no problems though. Get yourself a timer and a 14 guage (minimum) extension cord. Also when you get a chance, fill in your profile so we know what you have.

Tom
Old 10-06-2003, 10:09 AM

It doesn't need to be plugged in all night long. A couple of hours will warm things up nicely. I don't use mine till it drops below zero as the grid heaters will kick and start the truck with no problems.

Bill
Old 10-06-2003, 11:18 AM
Muted User

Got mine on a timer. It comes on @ 3am.

I try to plug it in when the temps get to the 30's. It doesn't need it to start, just gets things warmer lots faster.

I left it un-plugged, on purpose, when it was going to 0 one morning. It actually got to -5. Started ok.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:45 PM
Banned

Well you got to plug it in to keep the batteries charged, and the turbo modulator warm. AH, just funing you. I usually like most others plug mine in when I know it is going to get below freezing. The big advantage is the quick heat for yourself in the cab. I installed a retractable type cord reel, and put it on a timmer, I got one that is programable with several events. It is not expensive, only about 75 bucks, but it is very convenient. I have the truck come on about 2-3 hours before I would leave for work, and then I have it stay on for the major part on the day (10am - 5 pm), that way if i am not at work, the truck would be warmed up and ready to go. Any other time, it would not draw any electric, cause it's not pluged in. Hope that helps.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:55 AM

I've never plugged mine in - ever. It starts without any problems and will give me enough heat to defog/defrost the windshield. I'm sure it would give you heat a lot faster though if you plug it in a few hours before you need it. You'll hear that plugging it in will minimize wear, blah, blah, blah... but the oil is still cold. Now I'm not trying to start a war but read up on the subject and try it both ways. Also, I do run a winter cover that stays closed unless it's over 40.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:26 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't plug in either till its below -15°C I think thats close to 0°F. Anyway I have left it out in the cold down to -35 not plugged in and it will start.. The timer is a great idea.

If you are concerned about cold oil, then change your grade of oil. I run a semi-syn 0W-40 product from Esso in the dead of winter. I get oil pressure right away and know it can start anytime, anywhere.

J-eh
Old 10-08-2003, 06:28 PM

Dog,

Is that the Polar stuff from UFA???
Old 10-09-2003, 04:17 PM

Plug mine in at night when I get home. It's a lot easier to keep it warm than warm it when below 0*. Sat for 3 weeks unplugged @ -30-35*, cycled the grid twice and it cranked fine.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:24 AM

I normally plug my truck in when it goes below 32 degrees. Last year I stayed in Buffalo, NY and it went down to 4 degrees overnight and the truck started fine without being pluggedin. The vacumn pump made a lot of noise for over 20 minutes before it went normal. During this time, my brakes were acting kind of spongy. Is this something that I need to worry about since I never let my truck get that cold without being plugged in on a regular basis. I was getting a little worried that I was going to have to replace the pump at that time.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does plugging it in eliminate the noise and the spongy feeling in the brakes?
Old 10-14-2003, 10:00 PM
Chapter President

NOT HARDLY
Old 10-15-2003, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK lets try this again, does pluggin it in so it warms up faster, eliminate the spongy brakes..noise..anything...Has it done it since???? Trying to determine a temp relationship... Geez...
Old 10-16-2003, 08:28 AM

It has never done it before as long as the truck is plugged in during cold temperatures. Normally, my truck is garaged, so it doesn't get plugged in at home. If I am at work and it goes below 35 or so, I plug it in. I left my truck outside one day unplugged last year and the vacumn pump did the same thing for a few minutes and then cleared up. This day was not as cold though when I stayed in Buffalo . Just recently the vacumn pump seal has started to leak and I will repair it soon. I am just wondering if the pump is on its way out?
Truck has 195K on it now.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:52 AM
Banned

plugging in just makes the eng. last lits longer. the clearance piston to cyl is huge when cold
and thats m.o.