12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Who would be scared of this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very first post I said that it was a club cab. 3rd post said club cab, extended cab.

How do you like the quad? I was told that they make a lot of extra noise and rattles, especially the 98's. I would prefer the quad, but I just want to get the best truck that I can.

Well, as of 11:00 today I sold the truck that is in my sig. Really sucks having to get rid of something like that. I lost my job, so a $600/month payment along with house payment and such wasn't what I wanted. Had to sell it. Thus my search for a 12V around $13K.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear that you had to sell your 04.5. Hang in there and things will get better.

I really like the truck in my sig. I would not sell it for $20K. Not all that loud and still seems pretty tight.

John (DH)
Old 01-27-2005, 05:34 PM

The quad I got for the wife doesn't rattle. The big thing is I when she goes the the grocery store, she gets home open the doors and I unload. Can't do that on mine. The 96 is an extended cab. More room, but how to get to it? The only thing I would change is the rear door on mine. I'm thinking of having the truck extended more with 2 real, rear doors and then have the back seat look like a limo. But thats 14K and a little ways down the road.

..Preston..
Old 01-27-2005, 10:03 PM

Ok, thanks for all the input.

BBWD-thanks. I hope things get better. I don't like to rag, but I am 27, recently divorced, had my race car fall off jackstands and land on me (in the hospital with head injuries for a while) and then lost my job. Sounds like I am a real loser, but I am not. College degree with 3.74 GPA right out of highschool, job since I was 16, never been in trouble, etc... Just seems like it would never stop there for a while.

I bought a new Cummins because I didn't like worrying about the history of the truck.

Anyway,

This evening I talked to the owner of the truck in question. This is his second diesel (first was a powerjoke). He has owned this truck for 2 years.

Like I mentioned before, he said the pump has been modified, turbo modified, and clutch replaced. He doesn't know any other details.

The pics of the truck look good, interior is neat and no rips or tears.

Tonight he tells me that 3rd gear is a little notchy. Says synchros are really worn. Normally I would say no big deal, but it makes me wonder as to how the truck has been treated. Visually it seems like it has been taken care of.

Here is my main point. After someone (any of you) have mod'd your truck, does it decrease the life of the engine. He told me that if you go immediately to WOT the EGT's go to about 1200-1300, which I know is as hot as you should go. Once the boost starts rolling then they come down of course.

I am probably over thinking this, but the tranny issue has me questioning it again.

It is difficult, because I only want a 97/98 12V 5spd, 4wd, club or quad cab, silver with decently low miles and near perfect body. Kind of hard to find. Oh ya, all of this for under $14,000

Thanks for all the posts. I appreciate everyone's input. Depending on how tonight and tomorrow goes, I may get the truck this weekend.

Jeremy
Old 01-28-2005, 01:42 PM

If it has a stock turbo and the afc is set loose that truck will fuel like crazy before the turbo can catch up and if the plate is set hot the turbo can't catch up. After being around some five speeds that have been beaten on like I said in the other post I don't think there up to holding the higher horsepower cummins. The problem I think you run into is the cummins builds so much low end torque that harmonics play a big roll in there life. But abuse and simply not knowing probably rule the life of the trans more than anything. It's ashame you can't drive the truck or get a oil sample from the trans, that would tell alot about it. Used trucks are a flip of the coin. Good luck
Old 01-28-2005, 08:01 PM

I am leaving in the next hour or so to go and look at the truck. It is about 750 miles, so it will be a long drive. I have a driving partner so it won't be bad.

I have the money in hand, but if I decide that I don't like it, I will just drive back. I am definitely going to check the truck out and drive it.

Guess I can post more on Sunday. I hope it works out well for me.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:17 AM

Just my opinion but what i have noticed at the dealership that I work at is that the more modifications that an individual has done to a truck that has been traded in, the worse overall mechanical condition the truck is in. I do not want to say this is true for every modified truck that I have seen, but before I even considered buying my truck I had my mechanic buddies look at my truck to see if any after market stuff had been removed and there hadnt' been anything added onto my truck before i bought it and it was in great condition, But i did see a few other diesels come in with a few thousans in modifications that I asked the mechanics about and they said that there had been obvious wear on the trannies, and interior of the engines(they test the blow out pressure or something like that). So just my opinion, I would stay away from moderatly modified trucks unless you have a great mechanic that can tell you what the whole deal is on the engine and drivetrain
Old 01-30-2005, 10:09 AM

Well, 1700 miles in 29 hours. I did not buy the truck. It was a POS. Big dents, cracked windshield, suspension was worn out, needed tires, etc. I spoke with him many times over the phone before driving all the way there. I stayed there for almost a full day and looked at other trucks and many different lots. Couldn't find anything in that short amount of time, so we loaded up and drove back. He seemed shocked that I told him I wasn't buying it, even though I had driven 850 miles to get there.

Only way to know for sure I guess.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:22 AM

Good Move!!! Keep on searching, be patient and if you find one out of your area, don't be hesitant to ask one of the members in that area to give it a quick check before you travel to look at it.

John (DH)
Old 01-30-2005, 03:09 PM

Wait, this thing had big dents and you'd seen pictures, but didn't notice the dents?
Old 01-30-2005, 09:00 PM

Yeah, big dent in driver door at the bottom. Couldn't tell it from the pics. Pass door had blown open and ripped the hinges off the truck. Well he fixed the hinges, not the door. You couldn't see it in the pics. That isn't the big deal though. I specifically said that I would be driving or flying from a long way and I wanted to know if there was anything cosmetically or mechanically wrong with the truck. He told me that there wasn't and it was in excellent condition.

Hell the rear springs and shocks were so shot that I could almost max out the rear suspension by hand.

Truck would have been a ok buy for $9,000 not $13,000.

So I am still searching.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:32 PM

BBWD, I thought about asking for help in that area but I don't know anyone well enough to ask for such a huge favor.

Hopefully I can find a good deal on something.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by forcefed88
BBWD, I thought about asking for help in that area but I don't know anyone well enough to ask for such a huge favor.
That is what we are here for. If you get in the same situation again, just do a post and ask if there is anyone in the area who would do a favor and run a quick visual and possibly once over mechanical check on the truck.

John (DH)
Old 01-31-2005, 11:11 AM

i have done it for more than a few people
Old 01-31-2005, 03:12 PM

Yeah, a guy from this board checked out a truck for me in Texas before I made a BIG mistake... I still owe him a steak dinner if I ever get back that way..