12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Who would be scared of this?

Old 01-25-2005, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who would be scared of this?

Found a '98 Club Cab 12V 4X4 5spd with 165K miles. The owner has had it since 80K. He said that before he bought it the original owner "turned up the pump" (doesn't know if it has a plate or what,a local deisel shop did it), has had the turbo modified (also doesn't know what has been done), and has a HD clutch (doesn't know anything about it).

He said that he hasn't done anything to the truck for 80K miles. He used it for towing his 4 horses.

He said that the truck has a boost gauge, and EGT. He said at cruise it runs 500* and at WOT it is 1000* Boost at WOT is 35#'s but he said it would probably go to 40#???

He says the truck is in very good condition, and wants $15,000 for it. Do you think buying a truck without know the mods is a safe buy? Any advice?

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cruise at 500 degrees,

Mine idles at 300, and cruises at about the same thing. I took a gamble with mine, i bought it with the mods, but the PO knew what was on it. My turbo boost gauge reads only 30 as well, but the truck continues to pull hard after that thing is buried. The safest level you can do with the HX 35 before you start losing power is about 36-37 PSI, it will hit 40, but i wouldnt do that, and without a gauge that reads that high, no telling, i wish i had the 50 lb gauge.. but it would do me now good. Modify the turbo? possibly a down pipe, or a 16 cm housing, or a turbine maybe? hard to say... the pump is probly pushed forward plate and turned up starwheel. If i was in your shoes id test drive the truck first, then ask who worked on it, or for reciepts, id be skeptical, but im give him the benefit of a doubt if i really wanted to the truck, its run that much with him 80K is a good amount of miles, so it must be ok.. ID be at 50/50.. thats a toughie.. Reciepts, records and previous mechanics.. or most of all the previous previous owner.....

TxDiesel007
Old 01-25-2005, 09:45 PM

Is is a 98 Club Cab (extended cab) or Quad Cab (4-doors)???

What shape is the body and interior in???

If it has been well maintained, is a Quad Cab, and the body, glass and interior is in good shape, 12K to 13K would be a good price. Be prepared to do a little maintenance on it like checking to see if the KDP has been taken care of and change all fluids/filters, inspect the brakes, maybe some front end work (track bar and ball joints) etc. There has definitely been some mods done to the turbo if it will put out 35 psi boost. Perhaps just blocking off the wastgate, as I can push about the same numbers with no turbo mods other than blocking the wastgate. Regarding the fuel pump, sounds like a fueling plate was added.

You may want to take it to a reputable shop and have them check it out, including the mods done to the fuel pump. Also, have them check the steering, alignment and suspension before you purchase it.

Does it also have a modified exhaust system? Larger than 3" diameter?

If it feels right, go for it. You should have no trouble doubling the miles on that truck. You can also learn a lot on this site as there are plenty of good folks on here that are willing to help.

John (DH)
Old 01-25-2005, 11:05 PM

Thanks for the advice.

It is a club cab, extended cab.

The truck is several states away, which seems to be the only way that I can find decent ones. After talking to him again on the phone he told me that he has 4" exhaust, no muffler.

I forgot to ask about KPD. Is there something with 5th gear also?

He says that the paint is excellent, no rust at the bottoms of the doors, and says interior is great.

Talking to him tonight he told me that he would take $13,500. I bet he would go a little lower.

He is getting me the contact info for the guy that did the mods to the truck. It is a diesel shop in his area.

Obviously brakes, fluids, suspension will have to be done. I had to sell my 2004.5 and I hate buying a used truck that I don't know how well it was maintained.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If you live in an emmissions-inspection district that requires OEM equipment to be present on all vehicles, you had better find out if the inspection includes the cat converter which was probably removed to install the 4" exhaust. A cat is expensive, and the exhaust restriction it creates might obviate some of the performance gains of the other bombs.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by Rare1
If you live in an emmissions-inspection district that requires OEM equipment to be present on all vehicles, you had better find out if the inspection includes the cat converter which was probably removed to install the 4" exhaust. A cat is expensive, and the exhaust restriction it creates might obviate some of the performance gains of the other bombs.
Different emissions areas are different. I live in one, and the only test they do is opacity. If your truck's smoke is less than 20% on a moderate acceleration to 30mph, you pass. You may want to go talk to the emissions inspectors (if applicable) and find out what they require. every place is a little different...
Old 01-26-2005, 01:11 PM

As of right now we do not have emission testing. Never know what will happen in the future. We only have safety inspections, but those are easy to get around. I get my 1600hp race car licensed just so I can race events that require plates.

The owner of the truck is going to send me more pictures of it today. I hope it is in good condition. If so, I will own a 98 12V 5spd.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:23 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah watch the price. i just picked up a bone stock 12v quad cab 5 spd short bed 4x4 LSD rear and with a topper that just had in the last month all the steering components replaces, shocks done, trac bar done, new tires and a new clutch for $14,500 after all the repairs and pieces and 130k miles had a minor dented rear bumper a nick here and there on the body but nothing beyond parking lot dings and a small tear in driverside seat. Prior to the repairs he was willing to talk 12500-13000 based on a few variables. so keep that in mind when bartering you do have some wiggle room.

I was a little steep on my offer and the price that i paid but i knew the guy and appreciated all the work done in advance but those were the numbers he originally had it listed for int eh paper and were relative to three others in the same area that sold too.

good luck
Old 01-26-2005, 03:32 PM

One thing about the emission test, even if they do start it in MO. which I doubt a twelve valve is so easy to switch from red hot to hardly able to pull itself in about ten minutes. What gears does the truck have in it, 354 are probably the best gear in a 12valve as they run out of breath pretty quick without governor springs.The fifth gear nut is a bad problem alot of the trucks around hear have had and there are some fixes for them. Some of the guys around hear that are real hard on there trucks (NOT ME) have tore the cycronizers out and one guy has tore the center hub out of the clutch two or three times, but he is real mean to the truck. Good Luck You'll like a 12 valve
Old 01-26-2005, 08:49 PM

With the 4 inch exhaust,

I agree, with BBWD, it probably is an aftermarket plate... Other than that.. i stand with the rest of the crowd, im fairly new (6 happy months ) to the cummins world myself and everyday i come here i learn something new.... Better than school.. (almost...)

TxDiesel007
Old 01-26-2005, 09:03 PM

Did u check her out yet???

Did u buy it?

John (DH)
Old 01-26-2005, 09:06 PM

He is supposed to be emailing pictures, but hasn't done it as of yet. Doesn't seem like he really cares if he sells it. It is the truck that I want. 98, 4wd, silver, 5spd, etc... Might just have to keep looking. I can't risk getting the money together, flying there, and then it not be what I want.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:13 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Don't forget to check for 53 block.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:25 PM

yeah, but quite rare on the 12V...but i think there were a few...
Old 01-27-2005, 05:22 AM

You still haven't said if it's a quad cab. If I remember right the 98's started the 4 door thing. I bought the wife a 98 2 years ago and paid $ 21,500. 78K miles.

..Preston..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who would be scared of this?