12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Whats wrong with this 1997 trans? Detailed description.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 10:34 AM
APD

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whats wrong with this 1997 trans? Detailed description.

This is a follow-up to another thread I started.

Im thinking about buying a 1997 4x4 auto with 165,000 miles, but it has transmission problems

I went to look at it today, and here's the symptoms:

Engine starts OK, but idles a bit low as if there is a load on the engine.

Shift into reverse: reverse lights come on, but nothing happens. Give it fuel, engine RPMS increase, but no motion. Let off the accelerator pedal and it stumbles at idle or stalls.

Shift into Neutral: idles normal. Give it fuel, and it goes FORWARD, yes, JUMPS FORWARD WHEN IN NEUTRAL.
It will not roll freely when in neutral and engine is running. If I shut off the engine, I can push it around in neutral.

Forward gears D, 1, 2: seem to function normal (just in the driveway)

I've come to the conclusion that the tranny has to come out and be rebuilt, but I was hoping someone with trans experience might be able to tell me exactly what's going on in there.

I know there are a few trans fixes that can be done the truck, and wondering if this may be one of those situations. Is there any way this could be cheaper/easier than a trans rebuild?

Otherwise, would $2500 be a good estimate for trans rebuild?
Old 07-09-2014, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what's wrong 97 tranny

Mine has similar issues, but mine is from lack of everyday driving. The fluid seeps pass the check valve and it takes it a while to pump back in. Start it and put in neutral with park brake set, let it warm up for a while and try er. As far as reverse, mine will sometimes stall when I back up over a hump or curb, this I've yet to identify but it doesn't worry me. If under acceleration with a load or on a hill between 45 and 60 mph and you feel a shudder, you'll know it, the Torque converter is slipping and needs replacement. These were sedan converters they used on high torque trucks and they're junk.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:35 PM

Guess I should have read a little more indepth, No reverse is possibly a trashed pump or worn out clutch pack. You can drop the pan and check the band tension. Might get some clues there, and if theres metal in the pan you can come to conclusions pretty quick. If you're game go for it, weekend swap, buy your buddies lots of beer... provide at end of days work!
Old 07-09-2014, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kelly mclean
Mine has similar issues, but mine is from lack of everyday driving. The fluid seeps pass the check valve and it takes it a while to pump back in. Start it and put in neutral with park brake set, let it warm up for a while and try er. As far as reverse, mine will sometimes stall when I back up over a hump or curb, this I've yet to identify but it doesn't worry me. If under acceleration with a load or on a hill between 45 and 60 mph and you feel a shudder, you'll know it, the Torque converter is slipping and needs replacement. These were sedan converters they used on high torque trucks and they're junk.
Sedan converters??? Not, Chrysler NEVER put anything this large and beefy in a car. There is not a car bellhousing that will even begin to accept one of these.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:42 PM

As far as no reverse, it could be....1) Front clutch, 2) reverse or rear band, 3) OD direct clutches. If it works in the forward gears, it is most likely the rear band, or the servo that actuates it. The rear servo's have been known to **** in the bore and break. It could also be the reverse circuit in the VB. I'd check the rear band/servo. If the band/drum is bad, the trans must come out. If it's a broken servo piston, you "might" be able to replace it by loosening the tension bolt, to push the lever back, and then remove the snap ring, retainer and spring. I am not 100% sure if the piston will slide by the lever, I've never tried this in the vehicle. If you pull the OD section you might be able to get to the pivot pin from inside the trans to push it out the back, it is held in with two o-rings and the OD section prevents it from backing out.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:45 PM

Wow talk about sensorship, the 4 * were " a rooster", in other words the piston gets "off center" in the bore and breaks.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Mcmopar
Wow talk about sensorship, the 4 * were " a rooster", in other words the piston gets "off center" in the bore and breaks.
It is called "Anti-Profanity Software" not censorship

In your case it is a waste of time as you do NOT have a habit of posting in a manner that would require it's use......
Old 07-09-2014, 03:30 PM

Guess I need to use the sarc tag for McMopar.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
It is called "Anti-Profanity Software" not censorship

In your case it is a waste of time as you do NOT have a habit of posting in a manner that would require it's use......
LOL, Thanks Larry!! How else would you describe what the piston does in the bore?
Old 07-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Mcmopar
LOL, Thanks Larry!! How else would you describe what the piston does in the bore?
Ummm, @#*!-A-DOODLE-DOO?
Old 07-09-2014, 06:14 PM
APD

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I called two local shops and both said $3000-$3500 for a total rebuild.
First guy was real helpful and was pretty confident that it overheated and caused the clutches to weld together....which is why its loaded/stalling and going forward in neutral.
Anyway, my offer will be significantly lower than I thought. Maybe no offer at all.