12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

what to look for in a '96 - '98?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello BoostnBenz,
I kid you not, I have had my truck in to tires plus no less than 25 times in the last 6 months because they cannot get the wheel weights to stay on. I thought maybe it was only me that had problems with that because of the tires maybe.
I have 285 Dayton Timberline A/T on it and nothing but problems. I had one rim they said had a slight up and down hop in it so I had them put the spare on the truck instead to see it that fixed the problem but they can hardly get the wheel weights to stay on long enough for me to test drive it long enough to see if that is the problem. I dont think it is because I still have a bounce at around 60 mph.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:07 PM

I had the track bar replaced less than 6 months ago and then replaced about 3 months back as they said it had went bad. Then after replacing it the second time and I brought it back saying the replaced one had the same amount of play as the first one they said a little play was normal. Shortly after this I felt some play and clunking in the front end again and I brought it back again and they found the nut had come loose about a quarter of a turn on the passenger side and they tightened it up ( that was a couple of days ago) and it seems fine now with no more clunking so far, course its only been a couple of days.

As far as amounts of weights goes that seems to vary a lot each time I bring it in for rebalancing which seems strange to me as it should be the same each time. The most weight is on the spare tire wheel now at about 4 oz total. the others have about 2 oz or less.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by BoostnBenz2
I hate wheel weights so #$%ing much, I don't think I've had one vehicle they stay on yet. I've tried practically every shop in my city, so as far as keeping the wheels balanced I'm going to just take it to a shop that does adhesive weights inside the rim next time.
Forget the weights entirely.
One product of the modern age that I wouldn't be without is balance beads.
I'll never go back to the ancient lead weight spin balance method on any vehicle. Sort of crude pounding a gob of ugly weights on your rims. Tire shops don't like the beads and will tell you a bunch of falsehoods because the beads make their expendsive balance machines obsolete.

Cheaper, perfect balance for the life of the tire and you aren't at the mercy of a tire jockey who really doesn't give a hoot.
Most all semis have been using them for years.
I have hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles with them.

For a good source and lots of info click here > tire balance beads

Try it and you'll never go back to the old way.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Jeff, the beads are ceramic, wear longer than steel. The beads are sort of weird, it's almost like they get an static electrical charge (perhaps they do???) and stick in place. They will move though if you hit a nasty bump or pothole but are back in place again rapidly.

The site I linked to> http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html can answer most of your questions, if not use the contact us form on their website, they will get back the same day.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:32 PM

Soon, I will be looking into purchasing a 95-98 dodge cummins. So if the block has a 53 on it you are not suppose to buy it if thats the case. Also could someone exlpain what the KDP is where is located and what needs to be done to it. What model year is the KDP an issue?